Author Topic: Synology 214se or WD My cloud?  (Read 2705 times)

Offline nikklaus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Synology 214se or WD My cloud?
« on: January 08, 2016, 16:29 »
Hi everyone, happy 2016.

In a dilemma now on which to get as their price are very close.

Any inputs and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically I am using them to store photos and maybe some light music streaming.

Thank you.
Marantz SR-5006
Asus d2x 7.1 Soundcard
KEF LS50 (Fronts)
Tannoy 603 (rears),
Tannoy Fushion C (Center)
Yamaha SW-015 (Subs)
Philips BDP 9700 (Player)
Marantz PM-15S2 (Integrated Amp)
I'm sorry if my ignorance has cause any fire. Let me know, I will change for the better.

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
Re: Synology 214se or WD My cloud?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 17:08 »
If between these 2, definitely synology.

And assuming that you have cater for the price of HDD into the synology, price similar.

It's the software that's matter.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 17:51 »
my vote is Synology too...WD is rubbish
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline sigurros

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 18:10 »
my vote is Synology too...WD is rubbish

If you want to widen your choices, look at Qnap as well.

Offline Norman_Chan

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 04:34 »
How about Asustor NAS ?

http://www.asustor.com/

Offline nikklaus

• Snr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 19:09 »
Thanks for all the input guys. The reason why I shortlisted the 2 is because they were in my budget range. I happen to have 2 spare hard disk that came back from the rma. So getting the synology ds214se will cost the same as the wd cloud currently.

However, I might be able to get higher budget. If so, should I get the synology play version or the "+" version instead? I was told that the faster the core, the faster my file transfer rate. Actually my main usage will be storing of my phone photos via an app without the need to connect my phone to the computer, probably some light steaming of the files like flac and dff. If the price point is close, I am tempted to get it streaming those dts-hd movie across.

So does the spec really affect those things I've mentioned? Thanks guys. My budget is around 400-500.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Marantz SR-5006
Asus d2x 7.1 Soundcard
KEF LS50 (Fronts)
Tannoy 603 (rears),
Tannoy Fushion C (Center)
Yamaha SW-015 (Subs)
Philips BDP 9700 (Player)
Marantz PM-15S2 (Integrated Amp)
I'm sorry if my ignorance has cause any fire. Let me know, I will change for the better.

Offline francis wu

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 20:06 »
Pay a visit to Memory World at Funan Center.  Look for Ken Wan who can advise you which DS214 to get.  He can even help you to set up your requirements!

Been using the standard 214 with the VTen for almost a year now without a hitch!  Value for money I would think :)

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 20:30 »
Ken is a good guy...tells is like its is too. They have QNAP also. These 2 brands quite similar and often are found to one up each other every now and then with a new feature. I prefer synology, but both are good brands as far as reports I have heard. I have a ds1813+ and a ds713+ and will possibly look at another one for backups.

Just make sure you buy NAS rated drives like WD Red, not green or black drives, or "Eco green" ever.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline sigurros

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 21:06 »
Thanks for all the input guys. The reason why I shortlisted the 2 is because they were in my budget range. I happen to have 2 spare hard disk that came back from the rma. So getting the synology ds214se will cost the same as the wd cloud currently.

However, I might be able to get higher budget. If so, should I get the synology play version or the "+" version instead? I was told that the faster the core, the faster my file transfer rate. Actually my main usage will be storing of my phone photos via an app without the need to connect my phone to the computer, probably some light steaming of the files like flac and dff. If the price point is close, I am tempted to get it streaming those dts-hd movie across.

So does the spec really affect those things I've mentioned? Thanks guys. My budget is around 400-500.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers bro.

You need to look at your needs in the future as well. Do you see yourself needing more space?

Im speaking from my experience of getting a 2 bay initially -> 4bay -> now a 5 bay with a 2 bay extension.

If i have fore planned earlier, will go at least a 4 bay instead as the upgrading do cost extra.

I intend on the 5 bay as its possible to add extension.

Why i mention as least 4 bay is that you can add more hdd in the future if you need more storage (now you have 2 hdd, but as Wiz said, make sure its at least red if WD).

You can start with your 2 hdd first and expand your existing volume or create another volume when future needs arises.

My 2 c

Offline myhifisystem

• Music is part of my life
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 10:11 »
Over the years I have 3 Synology NASs now....my preference is to have redundancy on NAS than using Raid for redundancy of HDDs....it works well so far and synology is good with its software....

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 10:23 »
Its not the cheapest solution but certainly the better one...physical redundancy and if you can location redundancy too is the best by far.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 11:14 »
Now got red drive can say use red drive.  Last time no red drive you use what?

(Audio)

PS:  all my 1TB and 2 TB drives are WD Black!!

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 12:18 »
I'd say skip WD totally :P... Go Hitachi or Seagate (better yet Seagate Constellation Enterprise grade drives. Only issue of course is they're not as cheap as WD).
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 13:16 »
you don't want 7200 rpm or faster prices...more heat (bad) more noisy (bad) no advantage either if using spanned or raid setups as you won't outrun the processor normally or the lan performance.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 13:17 »
can test the speed on your network here

http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html

Offline Norman_Chan

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 17:31 »
Think for the last few weeks the DS216SE is selling at S$189 promotion price...

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS216se

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal