Author Topic: A tribute to Foo Leong Record store (on irememberSG)  (Read 5767 times)

Offline domho8

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A tribute to Foo Leong Record store (on irememberSG)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 11:41 »
Tks for the video eyeswideshut. I went thru the entire video and it brought fond memories. I gotten a few CDs fr there thou.
Next time when i go there makan will go there check out CDs.

Offline ianlee

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 11:45 »
Tks for the video eyeswideshut. I went thru the entire video and it brought fond memories. I gotten a few CDs fr there thou.
Next time when i go there makan will go there check out CDs.

Thank you eyeswideshut for informing me again of Foo Leong yesterday...
Yes, I will bring my parents there as well soon to browse through her vinyl records section.
Thank you brother.

Offline bberry

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 19:46 »
some 2 years back one morning, i helped her open her stall  ;D

Offline EyesWideShut

• Snr Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 22:35 »
https://mothership.sg/2018/11/foo-leong-records-chinatown-lose-money-cannot-survive/

Been almost 3 years since we spoke of Foo Leong in this thread. Incidentally, Mothership reported that Mdm Wong has been losing 1k a month for the last 3 years.

Anyone read the article ?

Offline cable-guy

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 23:34 »
https://mothership.sg/2018/11/foo-leong-records-chinatown-lose-money-cannot-survive/

Been almost 3 years since we spoke of Foo Leong in this thread. Incidentally, Mothership reported that Mdm Wong has been losing 1k a month for the last 3 years.

Anyone read the article ?
Thanks for passing this along, Bro. Incidentally, I just tried to make an impromptu visit to the store yesterday afternoon but the store along with over 90% of the complex's stores are all closed at 3pm in the afternoon?!?

I will try to get in touch with Alvin as well. Its been a long time.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline EyesWideShut

• Snr Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 02:02 »
Thanks for passing this along, Bro. Incidentally, I just tried to make an impromptu visit to the store yesterday afternoon but the store along with over 90% of the complex's stores are all closed at 3pm in the afternoon?!?

I will try to get in touch with Alvin as well. Its been a long time.

Good to hear that bro. Do let us know how they are getting along if convenient. I haven't passed by there for some time too. Aunty's passion for music and the business is truly admirable.

Offline cable-guy

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 09:31 »
Good to hear that bro. Do let us know how they are getting along if convenient. I haven't passed by there for some time too. Aunty's passion for music and the business is truly admirable.
I just spoke with Alvin on the phone with Aunty in the background. They are both doing fine. Alvin is at a new employment in recent month and adjusting well. The complex was closed for cleaning last Mon and Tue. Hence I met a closed store...ha ha.

Aunty is still running the shop and if you guys have some Asian CDs to pick up or from their existing inventory, please make your way there. Pass the word around.

The store is reduced to one unit and don't think its open for long hours like yesteryears so best to go during the day.

Aunty is probably challenged to change het routine of 50 years but its probably good for her to slowly explore new activities and social circles.

See you guys there. Cheers.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 09:57 »
If they keep up with the... Vinyl records trend, perhaps sales may pickup?
But then around that area...
https://hifishop.retrophonic.sg/
...with this around been a while, most new comers may not know that FOOKLEONG sells records...

Offline EyesWideShut

• Snr Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 23:29 »
If they keep up with the... Vinyl records trend, perhaps sales may pickup?
But then around that area...
https://hifishop.retrophonic.sg/
...with this around been a while, most new comers may not know that FOOKLEONG sells records...

Ironically, Foo Leong started records way before them.

Yea, focusing on records (probably not just Asian records, but also English to cater to the young hipster crowd) and perhaps some digital gadgets would be one way to revamp the business. I think it is not so easy as compared to a few years ago, as there are now many hipster record shops that have jumped on the bandwagon. However, it could still be done but it requires efforts and probably the younger generation to guide or take over the business.

As the days go by, less and less people are into the audio game. Sadly, I have also felt the dwindling amount of activity in this forum. How would we expect Foo Leong to survive well if this goes on.

Offline cable-guy

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 23:57 »
Ironically, Foo Leong started records way before them.

Yea, focusing on records (probably not just Asian records, but also English to cater to the young hipster crowd) and perhaps some digital gadgets would be one way to revamp the business. I think it is not so easy as compared to a few years ago, as there are now many hipster record shops that have jumped on the bandwagon. However, it could still be done but it requires efforts and probably the younger generation to guide or take over the business.

As the days go by, less and less people are into the audio game. Sadly, I have also felt the dwindling amount of activity in this forum. How would we expect Foo Leong to survive well if this goes on.
I really hate to say this but considering all the challenges for them in the last 10 years or longer, both from a personal as well as commercial perspective, it is best that business be wound up sooner rather than later.

Offline EyesWideShut

• Snr Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 00:03 »
I really hate to say this but considering all the challenges for them in the last 10 years or longer, both from a personal as well as commercial perspective, it is best that business be wound up sooner rather than later.

Yes, letting go is never easy, especially when ending it not with the full glory it used to be. 

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 07:14 »
Maybe someone here, especially those who live in Chinatown, can invite her to yr place to listen to her favorite music on yr setup? Who knows, the beautiful reproduction of the music she adored may lure her to a well deserved retirement?  ;D
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline titactoh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Long As I Am Happy, Who Cares !
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 08:53 »

Its laudable that many audio enthusiasts empathize with her plight for the decades of joy that they find in an inconspicuous but familiar haunt where their favourite music and song are available.

But the focus on the commercial aspect of her business may not be fully in point in at this stage.

At her age, if she is able to ease into some activities in place of running the store which can actively while away her time and be engaged meaningfully to stay healthy and happy it would be ideal.

But if we take a step back , we hear her need when its reported that  " .... finds joy in running the shop "

So if she finds joy in running the shop that must mean that spending time there and with familiar friends and faces keeps her physical and mental state in equilibrium and that is why she remains healthy .

So I think even if she loses $300 a month its like spending a reasonable sum to stay Healthy and be Happy as other alternatives may not be conducive to her wellbeing. Just my 2cts.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 08:58 »
Maybe someone here, especially those who live in Chinatown, can invite her to yr place to listen to her favorite music on yr setup? Who knows, the beautiful reproduction of the music she adored may lure her to a well deserved retirement?  ;D
hard lah... Auntie belongs to the 70s 80s generation "Audiophile" ley...
Unless... we have avid fans of 張小英,鄧麗君,and 鳳飛飛 whom may possess lots of records by these 3 artists?

Offline EyesWideShut

• Snr Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 15:37 »
Its laudable that many audio enthusiasts empathize with her plight for the decades of joy that they find in an inconspicuous but familiar haunt where their favourite music and song are available.

But the focus on the commercial aspect of her business may not be fully in point in at this stage.

At her age, if she is able to ease into some activities in place of running the store which can actively while away her time and be engaged meaningfully to stay healthy and happy it would be ideal.

But if we take a step back , we hear her need when its reported that  " .... finds joy in running the shop "

So if she finds joy in running the shop that must mean that spending time there and with familiar friends and faces keeps her physical and mental state in equilibrium and that is why she remains healthy .

So I think even if she loses $300 a month its like spending a reasonable sum to stay Healthy and be Happy as other alternatives may not be conducive to her wellbeing. Just my 2cts.

Yea indeed , you do have your point too. We don't know what's best for her and being outsiders , we are nobody to decide for her. Guess some of us here are just thinking from a practical and economical point of view, as we do not know her family's financial situation and suffering losses every month might not be palatable to the average family .