Author Topic: Dedicated Power Line  (Read 3667 times)

Offline dc5_itr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
Dedicated Power Line
« on: November 06, 2015, 15:00 »
Hi All,

I am moving into my new house soon and would like to seek some advise for a dedicated power line into one of my room for my hifi system.

Some questions regarding the type of cable to use and the type of circuit breaker.

Those who have done this before, do you use normal cable and circuit breaker from your electrician or do you purchase "audiophile" cable and circuit breaker for the install? 

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
Re: Dedicated Power Line
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 19:53 »
http://www.cardas.com/3x10_power.php

Solid core 10 AWG copper , about $30 plus per meter, need many meters so I cannot afford, so I brought this from China  , very pure copper (紫铜)

About 1/4 of the Cardas price only......should have some spare for sell later after my new house renovation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 20:03 by joamonte »

Offline dc5_itr

• Snr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 20:41 »
http://www.cardas.com/3x10_power.php

Solid core 10 AWG copper , about $30 plus per meter, need many meters so I cannot afford, so I brought this from China  , very pure copper (紫铜)

About 1/4 of the Cardas price only......should have some spare for sell later after my new house renovation.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Wow... $30+ per meter is definately too much to pay.

Where did you buy the China cable btw

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 19:24 »
Hi guys, I am doing reno for my new house  and I am fortunate to have a sound room for hi fi. I want to bring in dedicated power line, but when I told the ID she went "huh?, what's that?"
How should I communicate to her or her electrician what is needed? Also what power cable is recommended around $5-10 per meter?
Thanks bros

Offline jonlee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 20:07 »
Hi guys, I am doing reno for my new house  and I am fortunate to have a sound room for hi fi. I want to bring in dedicated power line, but when I told the ID she went "huh?, what's that?"
How should I communicate to her or her electrician what is needed? Also what power cable is recommended around $5-10 per meter?
Thanks bros

You can still use the cable the electrician provides.  Just tell them to run 2 pairs of dedicated live/neutral cable through 2x20A double-pole MCB. If they still don’t understand, tell them it’s like running two water heater points to your audio room.

One run for your power amp, one run for your source and pre. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 20:15 by jonlee »

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:24 »
Thanks Jonlee! I convey that to the ID, hopefully she understands :)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 02:12 »
Normal wire runs at 2.5sqmm for homes here. Can carry up to 20A for my HIFI locations I ran 4sqmm runs direct. That was the same as my old incoming cable at 32A now Hdb upgraded to 6sqmm incoming 40A feed.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 07:35 »
You can still use the cable the electrician provides.  Just tell them to run 2 pairs of dedicated live/neutral cable through 2x20A double-pole MCB.
Jon, MCB means a DB box?
So wires run from main DB to the dedicated audio DB, then to the wall receptacles in the sound room?

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
Dedicated Power Line
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 07:40 »
MCB are the big switches on the DB, these are usually lined up in a row.

Double pole MCB basically 2 switches co-joined. u will see the on-off lever joined together.

Honestly there is no need to install another “audio DB”...unless u wanna control incoming to specific outlets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:42 by Boxerfan88 »
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline Vinylgeorgegiri

• Snr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 09:59 »
I did this for my dedicated sound room.  Pull one soundstring cable from the main DB to the sound room.  13 duplex ac receptacle(Vodoo) installed.  Separate circuit breaker for each receptacle and soundstring cable for audio DB to each receptacle. Earth wire from Audio room DB to my garden.  My contractor never done this before so initially he made a mess.  I had to take leave to ensure that the cables were all well spaced apart from each other and none were crossing each other.  Also had dedicated CAT 6 LAN line installed for streamer. Please pm me if you need more info.
Sonus Faber Olympica III
Lumin D2 + Plixir DC Supply
Modwright PS36.5DM
Modwright KWA 150SE x 2
Oppo 105 fully modified + Plixir DC Power
Jolida P9 Phono modified
Clearaudio Performance DC + Ortofon Cadenza Bronze

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 09:06 »
Thanks for all your valuable inputs, my ID is checking with her electrician. I also contacted Mr Soh the electrician recommended by XP bros.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 09:22 »
Don’t forget to install hifi grade power sockets. If you are doing a dedicated power line, you shouldn’t just stop there.

Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline titamini

• Snr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 12:38 »
Need to be careful to do this.

Got a tip from a Sky Audio many years back that he used to run a dedicated line for his older showroom(Lor Kilat if I remember), sounded weird no matter how he troubleshoot his sys.
Later he tried using another original main socket and everything was back to normal and he was relieved.

*Pls do not ask me what cables he used, I forgotten.

Offline titamini

• Snr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 12:44 »
I also prefer to leave my main power as it is, all fine tuning after main socket from conditional/powercords/plugs.

Offline hanks9800

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 12:57 »
How much is this hifi grade power socket?

Don’t forget to install hifi grade power sockets. If you are doing a dedicated power line, you shouldn’t just stop there.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 14:03 »
It has been quite a while since I got it. It definitely wasn’t expensive. I gave it to the electrician who pulled 2 dedicated power lines (living room hifi and room hifi) to install.

Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 15:53 »
How much is this hifi grade power socket?

I have a similar one which i bought in 2014 from ISSE for my main system. Less than $150 iirc.
When I moved house I bought 2 sets of Oyaide R1 for my main system and shifted the Sine for my HT setup.

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 08:13 »
Guys, just wondering if 20A per line is enough.
I read my amp's manual (Bryston 4BSST2), and it says at max power driving a 4 Ohm load, power consumption is 15A. Will I ever hit that during normal usage situation, given I play mainly vocals, jazz and no classical music or loud rock?
What if I add another 4B SST2 and bridge them to become mono?
Lastly, what disadvantages are there if it is a 30A or 40A line (dunno if that is even feasible/allowed, lol)?

Offline jonlee

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 08:20 »
I read my amp's manual (Bryston 4BSST2), and it says at max power driving a 4 Ohm load, power consumption is 15A. Will I ever hit that during normal usage situation, given I play mainly vocals, jazz and no classical music or loud rock?
Lastly, what disadvantages are there if it is a 30A or 40A line (dunno if that is even feasible/allowed, lol)?

u gonna install US or UK wall socket?

Also, since u are using power amp, please inform the electrician to install type C MCB instead of the standard type B.  Else u might find the MCB tripping when u turn on your amp.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:20 by jonlee »

Offline hanks9800

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 12:47 »
Thanks

It has been quite a while since I got it. It definitely wasn’t expensive. I gave it to the electrician who pulled 2 dedicated power lines (living room hifi and room hifi) to install.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
Dedicated Power Line
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 14:11 »

15A for amplifier,

Bro, I went to look up 4BSST2, max is 2.1kW.
At 240V, it’s about 9A.

My guess is most folks listen in the 90-100dB loudness range. Assuming a low sensitivity speaker of 86dB/W, that means the amplifier would be running in the 3W-30W per channel range only.

Factoring inefficiencies, lets say 200W constant average power draw for stereo, thats less than 1A. With 9A peak draw, I think 20A cable is more than enuf.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 14:38 by Boxerfan88 »
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 14:59 »
The Bryston can pump 15 Amp into your 4 ohms speaker.  That is only 900W.  This is because there is a step down transformer in your amp which lower the voltage but increase the current capacity.

A 20 Amp line could theoretically provide 220VAC RMS X 20 Amp which gives approximately 4.4KW.

(Audio)

Offline jonlee

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 15:28 »
Plus all electronic devices sold in SG will not require more than 13A, else cannot fit a 13A UK plug. Only certain devices like aircon, heater, oven will need upto 20A.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 18:06 »
Get one of these Watt meter to be sure
My guess the amp will draw less than 300W (less than 2A) during normal playing.

Offline S1chen

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 11:03 »
Dont need to waste money on using audiophile power cable from MCB to your wall, afterall, every audiophile cable will have a character and it will make you hard to tune your sound later when you still need to distribute with another highend audiophile power cord. Stick with standard wires but ask the electrician to run 4sq mm at least and if you can convince him to run 6sq mm, it will be even better.

Ask the electrician to make you another set of ELCB and MCB parallels to your incoming power line to the house with the whole house circuit breaker. If possible, use some audiophile elcb and MCB, they make huge difference. Finally terminated your point with some high quality wall socket like Wattgate, Furutech (do your research as each socket have their character). they come with Gold, Silver, iridium and each have their own tone and you cannot have one stroke for everything.

PM me if you need more detail and consultation. Dont worry, it is free of charge for consultation. Just that i dont want to put all detail here to accidentally offend anyone.

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 21:37 »
ordered one reel 95m of this 6mm2 shielded OFC wire , Arrive 1 month later $5 per meter, MOQ 6 meters $30, I will use about 45 meters, left over will sell away.

self collect at Pasir Ris , those who interested to use this as in their Dedicated  power line can PM me

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 21:42 by joamonte »

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 21:57 »
ordered one reel 95m of this 6mm2 shielded OFC wire , Arrive 1 month later $5 per meter, MOQ 6 meters $30, I will use about 45 meters, left over will sell away.

self collect at Pasir Ris , those who interested to use this as in their Dedicated  power line can PM me

PM’ed.

Offline EC100

• Snr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 08:49 »
Used 2 runs of Belden 19364.

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/belden_19364_datasheet.pdf

Because of the long run through the ceiling with LED transformers, noise rejection and draining of the wiring is considered, just to be safe.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:13 by EC100 »

Offline EC100

• Snr Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 10:43 »
For the Belden, connecting the drain wire to ground or not, I am not sure.

Two theories. The noise will be drained if connected. Or the noise from other circuits through the ground connection will contaminate. Or maybe it doesn't matter since power is less susceptible to noise than signal.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 12:12 »
For the Belden, connecting the drain wire to ground or not, I am not sure.

Two theories. The noise will be drained if connected. Or the noise from other circuits through the ground connection will contaminate. Or maybe it doesn't matter since power is less susceptible to noise than signal.

Connect the drain wire to ground (Earth).  At least, should do it at one end  (the power CB end), if you do not want to connect at both ends.  For drain wires connected at both ends, some people complain of ground loop issues while some complained about treble loss (Actually, I think the system got neutral and they don't like the unfamiliar sound).

The shield is enveloping the 3 power wires so that it will shield electric field interference from the power lines affecting your equipment.  It is very unlikely that noise from circuits could affect the power lines via the ground connection. 

(Audio)

Offline EC100

• Snr Member
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 12:27 »
Yup. I connected the drain wire to the CB side. As far as I remember since it was done 10 years ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal