Author Topic: Dedicated Power Line  (Read 2742 times)

Offline dc5_itr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
Dedicated Power Line
« on: November 06, 2015, 15:00 »
Hi All,

I am moving into my new house soon and would like to seek some advise for a dedicated power line into one of my room for my hifi system.

Some questions regarding the type of cable to use and the type of circuit breaker.

Those who have done this before, do you use normal cable and circuit breaker from your electrician or do you purchase "audiophile" cable and circuit breaker for the install? 

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
Re: Dedicated Power Line
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 19:53 »
http://www.cardas.com/3x10_power.php

Solid core 10 AWG copper , about $30 plus per meter, need many meters so I cannot afford, so I brought this from China  , very pure copper (紫铜)

About 1/4 of the Cardas price only......should have some spare for sell later after my new house renovation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 20:03 by joamonte »

Offline dc5_itr

• Snr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 20:41 »
http://www.cardas.com/3x10_power.php

Solid core 10 AWG copper , about $30 plus per meter, need many meters so I cannot afford, so I brought this from China  , very pure copper (紫铜)

About 1/4 of the Cardas price only......should have some spare for sell later after my new house renovation.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Wow... $30+ per meter is definately too much to pay.

Where did you buy the China cable btw

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 19:24 »
Hi guys, I am doing reno for my new house  and I am fortunate to have a sound room for hi fi. I want to bring in dedicated power line, but when I told the ID she went "huh?, what's that?"
How should I communicate to her or her electrician what is needed? Also what power cable is recommended around $5-10 per meter?
Thanks bros

Offline jonlee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 20:07 »
Hi guys, I am doing reno for my new house  and I am fortunate to have a sound room for hi fi. I want to bring in dedicated power line, but when I told the ID she went "huh?, what's that?"
How should I communicate to her or her electrician what is needed? Also what power cable is recommended around $5-10 per meter?
Thanks bros

You can still use the cable the electrician provides.  Just tell them to run 2 pairs of dedicated live/neutral cable through 2x20A double-pole MCB. If they still don’t understand, tell them it’s like running two water heater points to your audio room.

One run for your power amp, one run for your source and pre. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 20:15 by jonlee »

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:24 »
Thanks Jonlee! I convey that to the ID, hopefully she understands :)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 02:12 »
Normal wire runs at 2.5sqmm for homes here. Can carry up to 20A for my HIFI locations I ran 4sqmm runs direct. That was the same as my old incoming cable at 32A now Hdb upgraded to 6sqmm incoming 40A feed.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 07:35 »
You can still use the cable the electrician provides.  Just tell them to run 2 pairs of dedicated live/neutral cable through 2x20A double-pole MCB.
Jon, MCB means a DB box?
So wires run from main DB to the dedicated audio DB, then to the wall receptacles in the sound room?

Offline Boxerfan88

• Life begins at 7000rpm
Dedicated Power Line
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 07:40 »
MCB are the big switches on the DB, these are usually lined up in a row.

Double pole MCB basically 2 switches co-joined. u will see the on-off lever joined together.

Honestly there is no need to install another “audio DB”...unless u wanna control incoming to specific outlets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:42 by Boxerfan88 »
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline Vinylgeorgegiri

• Snr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 09:59 »
I did this for my dedicated sound room.  Pull one soundstring cable from the main DB to the sound room.  13 duplex ac receptacle(Vodoo) installed.  Separate circuit breaker for each receptacle and soundstring cable for audio DB to each receptacle. Earth wire from Audio room DB to my garden.  My contractor never done this before so initially he made a mess.  I had to take leave to ensure that the cables were all well spaced apart from each other and none were crossing each other.  Also had dedicated CAT 6 LAN line installed for streamer. Please pm me if you need more info.
Sonus Faber Olympica III
Lumin D2 + Plixir DC Supply
Modwright PS36.5DM
Modwright KWA 150SE x 2
Oppo 105 fully modified + Plixir DC Power
Jolida P9 Phono modified
Clearaudio Performance DC + Ortofon Cadenza Bronze

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 09:06 »
Thanks for all your valuable inputs, my ID is checking with her electrician. I also contacted Mr Soh the electrician recommended by XP bros.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 09:22 »
Don’t forget to install hifi grade power sockets. If you are doing a dedicated power line, you shouldn’t just stop there.

Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Online titamini

• Snr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 12:38 »
Need to be careful to do this.

Got a tip from a Sky Audio many years back that he used to run a dedicated line for his older showroom(Lor Kilat if I remember), sounded weird no matter how he troubleshoot his sys.
Later he tried using another original main socket and everything was back to normal and he was relieved.

*Pls do not ask me what cables he used, I forgotten.

Online titamini

• Snr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 12:44 »
I also prefer to leave my main power as it is, all fine tuning after main socket from conditional/powercords/plugs.

Offline hanks9800

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 12:57 »
How much is this hifi grade power socket?

Don’t forget to install hifi grade power sockets. If you are doing a dedicated power line, you shouldn’t just stop there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal