Author Topic: 1st foray into computer audio, using the ayon stratos. need advice  (Read 2939 times)

Offline ...

• Trade Count: (0)
can someone advise whether a notebook(acer,win 8.1. i5 core, 8g ram) is enough or for best sounds, I need to build a pc? if so, how?
thanks for your advice
The best

Offline jayou

• Hobbyisit
can someone advise whether a notebook(acer,win 8.1. i5 core, 8g ram) is enough or for best sounds, I need to build a pc? if so, how?
thanks for your advice
Ot.  You giving up vinyl?  BTW is the rp1 still around?  Another bro here wants to take over.

Sent from my 2013023 using Tapatalk

Good sounding vinyl in your collection
http://www.hobbyisit.com/category/good-sounding-vinyl/

Offline Audiolab

• Trade Count: (+4)
Get a Mac Mini.

Offline ...

Ot.  You giving up vinyl?  BTW is the rp1 still around?  Another bro here wants to take over.

been waiting for you to come collect for a long time. No, I just upgraded to a raven ac and raven 10.5

The best

Offline jayou

• Hobbyisit

OK great.  I will hook a fellow forumer up with you.  He is interested to try vinyl...

Good sounding vinyl in your collection
http://www.hobbyisit.com/category/good-sounding-vinyl/

Offline ...

I was informed that a notebook is not as good as a custom built pc, is that correct?
The best

Offline ...

can anyone help me build one? can reimburse you for your time
The best

Online francishuang

Shindo is Music

Offline Doggie Howser

Here's a quick primer on computer audio.

Less is more.
- Less power
- Fewer moving parts

Getting a lower powered machine means you can sometimes run without a large power supply and without a fan.

There are special cases from Streacom which provide heatsink fins on the edges to help cool the CPUs passively.
A reasonably large case allows you to compartmentalise the components.

Using lower powered components also mean you don't need a large PSU so you can opt for a linear power supply which is a lot less power efficient but is a LOT less noisy than a switched mode PSU.

You can customise one without exorbitant prices at quietpc.com.au - they are based in the UK or you can order components and assemble it yourself.

The simplest solution IMHO is to get a Mac Mini and send it to Sound Affairs to modify it to run off a linear PSU, which they also sell. You can swap the HDD if you buy the base model, for an SSD and upgrade the RAM to max.. 16GB would be excellent. Sound Affairs can also remove the fan if you use the computer in an air conditioned environment.

So why is a notebook bad?

Every component is packed closely together.. increasing noise (EMI RF) contamination, and also most use noisy fans to cool the CPU.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
From my own experience, (best to worst)

Aurender N10 > Auralic Aries > Mac Mini running Pure Music > Macbook Pro running Pure Muisc > Squeezebox Touch > PC (albeit non-optimised, but running JPLAY / Foobar)

Less is more !

Offline ...

Here's a quick primer on computer audio.

Less is more.
- Less power
- Fewer moving parts

Getting a lower powered machine means you can sometimes run without a large power supply and without a fan.

There are special cases from Streacom which provide heatsink fins on the edges to help cool the CPUs passively.
A reasonably large case allows you to compartmentalise the components.

Using lower powered components also mean you don't need a large PSU so you can opt for a linear power supply which is a lot less power efficient but is a LOT less noisy than a switched mode PSU.

You can customise one without exorbitant prices at quietpc.com.au - they are based in the UK or you can order components and assemble it yourself.

The simplest solution IMHO is to get a Mac Mini and send it to Sound Affairs to modify it to run off a linear PSU, which they also sell. You can swap the HDD if you buy the base model, for an SSD and upgrade the RAM to max.. 16GB would be excellent. Sound Affairs can also remove the fan if you use the computer in an air conditioned environment.

So why is a notebook bad?

Every component is packed closely together.. increasing noise (EMI RF) contamination, and also most use noisy fans to cool the CPU.
won't running a notebook on batteries be ok also?
The best

Offline Doggie Howser

won't running a notebook on batteries be ok also?

a. Batteries aren't necessarily noise free.
b. close proximity of all the components in the notebook
c. additional noise of display and other integrated components of a notebook
d. DC-DC regulation can be noisy

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ...

thanks howser
The best

Offline Bernie7

• Optical Volume LDR Passive Preamp rocks!
Re: 1st foray into computer audio, using the ayon stratos. need advice
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 09:47 »
Bro ...

Yes, less is more!

Try a Raspberry Pi2 with dedicated music OS and linear PS. Left my Win8 i5 laptop + Jplay in the dust. Truly.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:13 by Bernie7 »
Stereo: AK4495 dac, LDR preamp, UcD 400HG HxR, IRS2092 amps
Sources: Ariston RD80SL/ Grace/Supex, RaspberryPi2 with XMOS adapter
Home Theater: Denon DN-A7100 pre pro, Sunfire CG
Speakers: Swan F2.2HT
Room treatment: Behringer DEQ2496 and furnishings!
IC: Audioquest Sky, Kimber Silver Streak
Spkr Cables: Siltech G5
Power: Bada Lb-5500, Felix filters