Author Topic: MELCO N1A Digital Music Library/NAS/Streamer Questions and Answers  (Read 87047 times)

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Hello
I have been trying the Melco N1A with the Plixir BAC 400
Well , surprisingly fantastic .; more to report
I knew that my electric installation in city centre was not terrific , but at this point ?
Cheers

Elite 400? Try Elite 1500 instead!

Online nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
Hello
I have been trying the Melco N1A with the Plixir BAC 400
Well , surprisingly fantastic .; more to report
I knew that my electric installation in city centre was not terrific , but at this point ?
Cheers

Try modifying the Melco N1A with the Plixir linear power supply

Offline eze73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Hello
I would like to try this , but I did not find anything on the web to explain the mod
Which Plixir to use , and how to do the mod ? That will mean opening up the Melco .. on which part should i use the linear power supply ? Hard drive or Motherboard ?
Thanks (i met Alan Aisle a year ago , and he told me that loads of people did mods in Japan where melco is known as dela)
Cheers

Online nfnc

Uhm... where did you purchase your Melco from?  Speak to James from Sound Affairs.

Online nfnc

MELCO N1A Digital Music Library/NAS/Streamer Questions and Answers
« Reply #289 on: July 21, 2017, 17:13 »

Then I had the impression than the AES EBU of the Auralic was delivering , somewhat clearer sound, and there was more music

I bought the Lumin to replace the AUralic
And , the Lumin really delivers fantastic music via AES EBU (I have not yet tested the USB output)

That said , there have been loads of pages on headfi concerning the DAVE , and I don't know which input is best ..

To resume , the Melco in USB to DAVE is really a cost effective solution
The U1 , really gives an extra via AES
Soon I'll check the USB output of the Lumin (but I fear that the Melco will be better)

Cheers

The headfi and Computer Audiophile threads are great to learn of what can possible but leads to many rabbit holes, especially if you follow the posts by romaz. 

If you are looking for a DDC/digital format converter, I have previously tried:

Melco -> ethernet -> LUMIN A1 -> S/PDIF output
 vs
Melco -> Singxer SU-1 -> S/PDIF output

With the same S/PDIF cable, I found the Singxer better. Quieter, bigger soundstage, more air around the instruments, easier to discern the timbre and a more relaxed sound overall (not slower in tempo, just more natural, less processed).

Now, it may be that the U1 is better optimised as a digital transport compared to the A1 that I had. With linear power supply mods, the Singxer could be as good or better (?) than the U1 and you can still use the Lumin app. The Singxer is also has an AES/EBU output in addition to the S/PDIF output. Not in a pretty box though, it that matters to you
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 19:18 by nfnc »

Offline eze73

• Snr Member
Hello
I bought the Plixir from James , and should say that service has been excellent , and the Plixir is a terrific buy
I live in Europe , so if i do any mod , it will be a try out for myself
Had the melco been with an app like auralic's , it would have been a world beater by far (of course Lumin app works .. butt)
Had melco been a Roonready stuff , more people would have gone this way (even if i'm not a roon believer)
Cheers

Online nfnc

MELCO N1A Digital Music Library/NAS/Streamer Questions and Answers
« Reply #291 on: July 22, 2017, 03:22 »
I have seen the Melco N1A being modified by James. Its not too difficult to DIY so you might want to discuss with him the available options + shipping costs. 

He's learnt the hard way how not to modify the Melco . We can benefit from his experience.

As for the Melco app, I read elsewhere that it may be out (finally!) in September this year.  Will it be good enough though?

Offline AndrewC

Latest firmware 3.70 adds an interesting new capability of supporting any USB based IR/RF Remote Control for playback when in Direct mode. I haven’t tried it myself, although, you have to wonder about it’s usability when the screen is so tiny and usually at quite a distance from the listening position ;D

I must say, I’m sorely tempted to upgrade my N1A’s current pair of 4TB SSHD’s to one of those super-high capacity SSD…
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Sound Affairs

• PLiXiR Balanced Power Products.
    • Sound Affairs
Melco N1A Stereophile 2018 Class A+ and Promotion.
« Reply #293 on: March 23, 2018, 10:18 »

Congratulations on Melco N1A on Getting The Stereophile 2018 Class A+ Streamer Award.  It remains BY FAR, the Lowest Cost Stereophile Class A+ rated music streamer. 

We are now having a special promotion on the Improved Melco N1A/2 series here. 

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=268721.msg1249594#msg1249594
PLiXiR Balanced AC Power Conditioners/DC Supplies and Cables.  Made in Singapore.

Swiss PSI Active Bass Traps and Active Speakers

OPPO Digital Distributor and Product Modifications Centre.

DAC and Digital source modifications with True Femto Clock modules.

Other Brands : MELCO, Black Cat Cables, Weiss Digital, Benchmark, Bfly, Frank Ultrabank Products UB25000

www.mysoundaffairs.com

Offline Sound Affairs

• Sound Affairs
Re: MELCO N1A Digital Music Library/NAS/Streamer Questions and Answers
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2018, 14:45 »
Congrats and delighted for MELCO to beat the competition & win the 25th Anniversary 'best music playback system' award for Melco N1Z/S at #Guangzhou AV Fair !!

PLiXiR Balanced AC Power Conditioners/DC Supplies and Cables.  Made in Singapore.

Other Brands : MELCO, Black Cat Cables, Weiss Digital, Benchmark, Bfly, Frank Ultrabank Products UB25000

www.mysoundaffairs.com

Offline Sound Affairs

• Sound Affairs
MELCO new model N100 Launch Promotion with PLiXiR DC Power Supply.
« Reply #295 on: November 01, 2018, 08:59 »
MELCO N100 Digital Music Streamer , NAS and ACTIVE Ethernet Filter

Long-awaited half-size digital music library

N100 is the half-sized model of MELCO music library which has 2TB hard disc drive and 3 x USB2.0 port. The full functioned model in the same size and design as MELCO CD drive "D100".

Features

•Fine design both for rack-style and desktop use (215 mm)
•Aluminum front and top panel with hairline finish
•2 mm steel sheet chassis for anti-vibration
•HDD is designed with anti-vibration system "HS-S²"(Highly Stable Storage System) under same concept as N1ZS/2A.
•LAN port for direct connection with player (no LED for status indication)
•USB2.0  x3 are compatible with USB-DAC, USB CD drive and USB storage such as USB HDD or USB flash memory. When the drive is connected, user can choose the purpose of the drive on the front display. (Import, expansion, backup, restore etc)
•Low C/N clock (Femto Clock) of NDK
•Power management system by FPGA for improved system stability.
•Fan-less design

Unique MELCO ACTIVE Ethernet Filter Function! Ultimate Ethernet Noise Removal!

Unlike PC based systems, Melco has a dedicated PLAYER port. This allows connection directly to the network Streamer or Player without any data switch in the signal path which would damage the music data.

This direct connection concept we call Direct Streaming Music – DSM – and it is unique to Melco as in conjunction with the Ethernet purifier between the LAN and PLAYER ports DSM ensures that the Player receives only clean and accurate data, all packets are timed with low-jitter precision and all unwanted traffic is blocked. LAN lights can be disabled for highest possible data integrity.

Small and Smart

N100 creates a convenient and compact Hi-Fi system when used with a USB-DAC Headphone amplifier or USB connected Active Loudspeakers.

Sound Quality of N100 is true to the Melco tradition and will not be outclassed in a high-end system.

More infos : https://www.melco-audio.com/products/melco-n100/

Details of the Launch Promotion is in this link : http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=278307.msg1285222#msg1285222

www.mysoundaffairs.com

Offline Sound Affairs

• Sound Affairs
Melco N100 Hifi Choice "Recommended" !
« Reply #296 on: December 22, 2018, 16:41 »
Latest Review by Hifi Choice on the N100. 

If you have a streaming setup that you are fundamentally happy with, the N100 music library is a great way of bringing audiophile sound quality to your digital files. With excellent stability and the elegant industrial design, it’s a welcome arrival that looks set to attract those wanting
to make the most of high-quality digital music playback. 

Full review here :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CXdpvRYx20RvDdshLVtCDgMR_EAYLFxC/view?fbclid=IwAR03_TvCFPjBTNz-ECy1wdDodyPmVTNoqXWZ5mno-3I9Xa7O9k0IxxtnYZ4

Thanks!

James.

www.mysoundaffairs.com

Offline Sound Affairs

• Sound Affairs

Glowing Review - N10 & D100🌟

Melco N10 2-box music library & D100 CD drive have been reviewed by Alan Sircom at HiFi Plus Magazine 👍🎶

"It’s best to think of the Melco concept as the best home music server there is. Of course, connecting to Qobuz, Tidal, or Spotify are quite easy to implement through the Melco, too. But first this is a dedicated music server for your own collection of music, and the N10 is the best that collection of music can sound. It replaces almost anything that runs from a conventional computer, no matter how ‘hi-fi’ that computer is trying to look"

March issue on sale now & you can read the review here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cDa-Dfw9u8GbB3CU2fcK7D5JpxcSsxxx/view

We have the N10 on Demo at Sound Affairs, Do contact us for more infos.

James.

www.mysoundaffairs.com