Author Topic: MELCO N1A Digital Music Library/NAS/Streamer Questions and Answers  (Read 83862 times)

Offline Tubist

• Trade Count: (0)
Helping a friend on a question.

Friend is using a laptop running Jriver to his Devialet via USB.  Using Ipad to control the Jriver for sound selection and streaming.

He is thinking of getting the MELCO NAS (Sound Affairs will be bringing it in soon.  On their facebook page.), the N1A. 

So that is where we are confused here.  The idea situation will be :

MELCO NAS to Devialet (via USB).  MELCO can be a music streamer (UPNP/DLNA).
All Audio data in MELCO NAS.
Laptop now will not be in audio setup but somewhere in the house running Jriver, hooked up in the same network.
IPAD control JRiver
Jriver "sort of" control the data from Melco NAS to devialet. For audio Streaming and selection.

Can the above be done?  If so how to set the system up in Jriver?
If not what will be a better option?

Cheers and thanks!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:08 by Tubist »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: JRIVER - MELCO UPNP Question for Experts.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:25 »
MELCO N1A is suppose to replace your laptop with Jriver.  The laptop has no role to play.

(Audio)

Offline milk_vanilla

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:26 »
i'm not familiar with melco,

but in general speaking, if your friend use melco as DLNA server. The laptop still the DLNA client, and stream the digital traffic via usb between Lappy and Devialet.

Alternatively, Melco seems has possibility to stream the digital traffic via their built in usb output. But i'm not too sure how the listener navigate the music, probably they have IOS/Android apps, similarly like Aurender / Aurelic.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:35 »
i'm not familiar with melco,

but in general speaking, if your friend use melco as DLNA server. The laptop still the DLNA client, and stream the digital traffic via usb between Lappy and Devialet.

Alternatively, Melco seems has possibility to stream the digital traffic via their built in usb output. But i'm not too sure how the listener navigate the music, probably they have IOS/Android apps, similarly like Aurender / Aurelic.

If this is the case, then wouldn't it is better / cheaper / more powerful to just buy a standard Synology / QNAP NAS and continue to use the laptop with JRiver.

The whole point of buying the Melco is to replace your laptop.....like what they said as one of their many features.  Worst, by using this, you are limited to 1TB of storage if you buy flagship or 4TB if you buy standard.

(Audio)

Offline milk_vanilla

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57 »
If this is the case, then wouldn't it is better / cheaper / more powerful to just buy a standard Synology / QNAP NAS and continue to use the laptop with JRiver.

I think their dlna idea are leaning toward for streamer user, where we could directly connect the melco ( 2 NIC card, bridge mode) to the streamer, instead of mixed across the polluted home network. But your streamer still logically connected to your  home network.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:59 by milk_vanilla »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:06 »
I think their dlna idea are leaning toward for streamer user, where we could directly connect the melco ( 2 NIC card, bridge mode) to the streamer, instead of mixed across the polluted home network. But your streamer still logically connected to your  home network.

I think they made this for network players like the Lumin.  You are right, that kind of isolate the network player from polluted network.  All I am saying is, you shouldn't be using the MELCO as just a NAS.

(Audio)

Offline milk_vanilla

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:08 »
Yeah it's gonna be very expensive NAS, and far less inteliggent too.  :)

Offline milk_vanilla

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:15 »
I think they made this for network players like the Lumin.  You are right, that kind of isolate the network player from polluted network.  All I am saying is, you shouldn't be using the MELCO as just a NAS.

(Audio)

So melco is in your consideration bro ?  ;D

The S1 will fly even higher.

Offline durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 11:31 »
Melco is actually NAS with network switch built in to perform network isolation.

My understanding is it can do 2 operations:

1) like an Aurender, output to DAC via USB.

2) for streamers - use the Twonky DLNA server or install alternative Minim server package like most folks are doing. Use Bubble UPNP from Android store to select songs to play to the renderer over RJ45

The strong point is network isolation piece. Some users claim can beat TotalDAC wor! Dun play play.....
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$388

Offline durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 11:33 »
My patience run out waiting for Sound Affairs to bring in...so I opt for the Aurender W20...
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$388

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 11:46 »
So melco is in your consideration bro ?  ;D

The S1 will fly even higher.

Why?

Wouldn't my Intel i7-5860X running on a X99 workstation motherboard with four 1TB SSB on RAID5 be a better DLNA server than this Melco for the S1?

(Audio)

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 13:47 »
Why?

Wouldn't my Intel i7-5860X running on a X99 workstation motherboard with four 1TB SSB on RAID5 be a better DLNA server than this Melco for the S1?

(Audio)

Melco maybe very useful for streamers, not sure about DAC.  Streamers like the Naim NDS, Linn KDS, and Lumin S1 works differently from DAC. Melco provides optical isolation for the network. So far, in terms of sound quality, in the context of streamers, nothing works better than optical isolation. One can use media optical converters as well but not all media converters sound good. And expensive or higher spec media converters may not sound good. So far, the best sounding one I tried is one of the cheapest and lowest spec.

The computer side does makes a difference too, but the optical isolation basically makes the largest difference. Again, this is in the context of streamers.

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 13:48 »
My patience run out waiting for Sound Affairs to bring in...so I opt for the Aurender W20...

I heard its coming next week.

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 15:35 »
Melco maybe very useful for streamers, not sure about DAC.  Streamers like the Naim NDS, Linn KDS, and Lumin S1 works differently from DAC. Melco provides optical isolation for the network. So far, in terms of sound quality, in the context of streamers, nothing works better than optical isolation. One can use media optical converters as well but not all media converters sound good. And expensive or higher spec media converters may not sound good. So far, the best sounding one I tried is one of the cheapest and lowest spec.

The computer side does makes a difference too, but the optical isolation basically makes the largest difference. Again, this is in the context of streamers.

Would you mind sharing which media converter it was that you found best?  I am using Lumin A1 with Synology NAS. Thanks.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 16:01 »
 So far, in terms of sound quality, in the context of streamers, nothing works better than optical isolation. One can use media optical converters as well but not all media converters sound good. And expensive or higher spec media converters may not sound good. So far, the best sounding one I tried is one of the cheapest and lowest spec.

The other option is Ethernet isolators (as opposed to media converters); Opto-isolators designed to provide galvanic isolation for Ethernet streams. Plenty around, just google “Ethernet isolators”.

They provide complete galvanic isolation… but it doesn’t address the issue of upstream LAN switch traffic “noise” - that's still best addressed via dedicated port connectivity as provided by the Melco (or any Server with a dedicated Ethernet port just for the DAC/streamer - which is what I do for my DAC).

It’d be interesting to know if Melco actually uses a single Ethernet chip (like a Broadcom or Marvel) for both Ethernet ports (which kind of defeats the purpose a little), or they actually have different chips support each Ethernet port (in which case the OS kernel will need some packet routing code! ;D)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.