Author Topic: PS Audio DirectStream DAC  (Read 81702 times)

Offline durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
Re: PS Audio DirectStream DAC
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 16:34 »
Broler AndrewC, what I meant is use the Roon Discovery server from Elac....buy at 995 usd with Roon lifetime subscription....and then use the soon to be ready Roon speakers to be implemented on Bridge 2, over RJ45.
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$388

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 16:44 »
Broler AndrewC, what I meant is use the Roon Discovery server from Elac....buy at 995 usd with Roon lifetime subscription....and then use the soon to be ready Roon speakers to be implemented on Bridge 2, over RJ45.

DL, not sure I follow the last part :P... Isn't Bridge2 a streaming (Ethernet/RJ45) input?... What's it got to do with a Roon Speaker and RF45?
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 16:51 »
The idea of Roon Speakers is in the Roon forums...I extracted some bits in the first page of this thread (see 3rd post from the bottom). It is not physical speakers...but like a renderer for Roon for specific hardware makes...Bridge 2 for example.
For sale(neg):

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 22:56 »
The idea of Roon Speakers is in the Roon forums...I extracted some bits in the first page of this thread (see 3rd post from the bottom). It is not physical speakers...but like a renderer for Roon for specific hardware makes...Bridge 2 for example.

Right… So I went to read up about RoonSpeakers on the Roon Forums. Was a little fuzzy until I came to this post from Brian;
RoonSpeakers is just an audio transport mechanism, so Aurender + RoonSpeakers would still require an external Roon server running on another box…

So it looks like RoonSpeakers is a proprietary rendering end-point for Roon Server. And other vendors would need to implement it on their devices (like PS-Audio on their Bridge2, or iOS client etc.)…  First thought was: Hello! DLNA DMR/DMP? Why reinvent the wheel and force device manufacturers to implement yet another client protocol? And then I caught this post from Brian;
What are the advantages compared to other protocols like AirPlay, Meridian MQA, RTSP, DLNA,UPNP?
In short:
  • It doesn't compromise on user experience or compatibility (unlike DLNA/UPNP)
  • It doesn't compromise on sound quality (unlike AirPlay)
  • It doesn't compromise on reliability (unlike RTSP)

Not so sure about the user-experience issues for DLNA (I haven't experienced any real "issues"), but the other 2 points makes sense! ;D

ps: Even dCS is on the list of Roon hardware partners, with the new Rosini player apparently already supporting RoonSpeakers… (I’m wondering if thats what the latest version of dCS’ network firmware update for the Vivaldi issued 2 weeks ago is… Maybe I should revisit Roon after all  ;)).

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 09:13 »
I think DLNA is UDP based which means real time but potential for errors. I suspect Roon is using regular network packets and reassembles on the back end. IMHO not unlike a Mac/PC reading off a NAS so it is less dependent on timing/clocks and network interconnects
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 16:03 »
I think DLNA is UDP based which means real time but potential for errors. ...

Correct… DLNA relies on RTSP for packet transport, which typically uses UDP (to get near Real-Time delivery).

That said, RTSP (RFC 2326) can also negotiate TCP for packet transport, but I suspect because TCP’s windowing etc requires heavier processing, makes it more “expensive” to implement for most consumer clients, so most end up sticking with UDP options for transport ;)

It’s the same/similar issue discussed in the Merging NADAC/RAVENNA/AES67 thread not too long ago.

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 15:53 »
Latest info on next Directstream firmware release:

"Ted Smith said
People are asking me to slow down (especially print magazines like Stereophile, TAS and HiFi+) We've been two releases ahead of published reviews in the past. Also plenty of people on this site have said the same.

I've been busy with a few other projects (don't ask, you'll hear about them in due time if they work well) but I expect to get back to working on the next software release November to December (or possibly January). The work is a little harder than the last couple of releases so it'll take a while. Also we need to coordinate the release with other PS Audio releases. So I'd guess not earlier than next Feb or March.

Hopefully that answers your question."
For sale(neg):

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 16:15 »
For sale(neg):

Offline gtl

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 00:06 »
Anyone can share how much is the directstream dac retailing here? Any discount or is it strictly MSRP? Thanks!

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2015, 13:09 »
iw
Anyone can share how much is the directstream dac retailing here? Any discount or is it strictly MSRP? Thanks!
I would like to know too

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2015, 13:39 »
A&L Audio Station (2nd floor, Adelphi).
Phone in will get MSRP.
For pricing discussion go to shop, audition and discuss...
For sale(neg):

Online nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2015, 02:04 »
As much as I want to go Directstream full time, my Lumin S1 is still shining brightly and refused to be retired.  Second hand market for Lumin is very strong.  Directstream remains to be my secondary machine....hint hint.

(Audio)

How does the Directstream (with the latest Yale OS, hopefully) sound compared to your previous Lumin A1?

And, would it be competitive with your current S1 too?

Thanks.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2015, 13:15 »
I sense the Lumin A1 would not sound as good as the Directstream. The  A1 was never on the hi fi rack long before Pikes Peak was available so, no chance to directly compare.

Like I said, in recent firmware upgrade, Directstream is sounding very good and both Directstream and Lumin S1 are sounding close with various pros and cons.....no clear winner, different tracks, different properties.

I can live with both but if you are not me and you are coming into the market for a DAC now, it is a no-brainer which DAC you should be buying.  :)

(Audio)

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2016, 01:05 »
Forum news from Paul McGowan on 6 Jan:

"Agreed. There's no way to get true DSD out of the Oppo. That's one of the reasons we created the new and upcoming DirectStream Transport – which will do exactly what you want – stream true DSD to DirectStream. There are many legal hurdles to doing this and we got through ours by coming up with an encryption scheme so the new transport will output DSD only through I2S into DirectStream."
For sale(neg):

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2016, 01:06 »
Forum news from Paul McGowan on 6 Jan:

"Agreed. There's no way to get true DSD out of the Oppo. That's one of the reasons we created the new and upcoming DirectStream Transport – which will do exactly what you want – stream true DSD to DirectStream. There are many legal hurdles to doing this and we got through ours by coming up with an encryption scheme so the new transport will output DSD only through I2S into DirectStream."

NICE
End of Line - Derezzed