Author Topic: PS Audio DirectStream DAC  (Read 89076 times)

Offline jerome_the_lang

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: PS Audio DirectStream DAC
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2016, 17:25 »
Can say the same issue with cartridge stylus too.
The more you play the more the stylus on the cartridge wears out.
Yet people still want to play vinyl.
Why?
Because life is too short to worry about these insignificant things.
You might be here today and gone tomorrow.
"One day you cross some line and you were too much in your world..."
So the don Henley song goes.
Anyway people change hardware in 2 - 3 years anyway.
Some even faster.
So again why worry?

Some transport and DAC and minimise the sonic differences between whether got angmokioing or not.

By minimising I don't mean covering up the inherent sonic differences with euphoric colourations.

I hear real audible sonic consistency transitioning from track to track.

The Emmy combo is one that I can say I can listen to the entire disc from beginning to end.

The transport made by Stream Unlimited (the former engineers from Philips cd pro disc drives) is also one such devices.
Very minimum changes when one track ends and the next track begins.

The shigaclone transport that bro btw loaning to me is also one such devices.

He also specially made it so that the tracking buttons are all on top so that I can do the angmokioing more easier (based on the feedback from listening tests we did with his earlier prototype)
He also made the chassis all from wood.
How cool is that...?  ;D ;D ;D

Otoh the oppo based transports are the worst performers.

There is fcuking big differences in sound between the first track (after doing angmokio) compared to the rest of the tracks. And oppo based transports can only do angmokio for track 1 and not other tracks. That's why I say oppo sucks big time. Any transport based on oppo design is gonna suck too.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 17:46 by jerome_the_lang »
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2016, 17:44 »
Don't be too sure yet...I will wait for the real thing to come, listen first before concluding.
Oppo does not do memory player (RUR), buffering mechanism unknown. We don't condemn a transport because cannot AMK.

My Aurender W20 does SSD caching and reclocking as well. As I play the songs they never waver in terms of playback consistency. I don't need to switch it on and off to play each song.
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$299

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2016, 17:49 »
Already tested. Aurender also suffers from this issue.
Your system is unable to let you hear the differences.
The irony.
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2016, 17:54 »
Music is too good...I don't bother
For sale(neg):

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2016, 18:01 »
Let me explain more:

The power, footers, cabling, grounding and 6-sec Yishun cause much more significant improvement, than AMK/cable touch curtain/half cup water. Tested also.
For sale(neg):

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2016, 18:17 »
they only succeeded in throwing a blanket over the system obscuring inherent sound changes that a healthy system should manifest

;D

Offline Hass

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2016, 18:20 »
What is this AMK u guys are talking about?

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2016, 18:24 »
When the system need to depend on tissue paper, wood only, half cup water, cable cannot touch curtain, and off and on the transport for every single song - this goes to show system fundamentals are not sound and unstable and too dependent on every variable factor. It is not a favorable state to be in. Too lache...to each his own.

Pls don't test or use this Directstream transport, because you already condemn it due to using Oppo transport that cannot do AMK.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 18:28 by durianlover88 »
For sale(neg):

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2016, 18:48 »
when you put a black curtains in front of a stage you wont be able to see the performers behind whether crying got use tissue paper, whether the furniture props are made of wood only, on whether the performer is drinking from a half-filled cup, or whether the drink is real brandy or just water.

you are not able to see what's really happening on stage because your curtain is down. that's why.

lift your "curtains" so that your system may start to allow you to hear the sonic changes and help you to understand why cables cannot touch curtains and why amk is required.

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2016, 18:56 »
My system is so sensitive even moving a millimeter off from speaker positioning, shifting a footer out by a touch...you still do not know what ultra high sensitivity is. Touch curtain yes, I have many cables touching curtains...change is not so significant compared to the fundamentals I mentioned earlier.
For sale(neg):

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2016, 19:16 »
pls lah, everybody's system will have wholesale sonic changes when speakers are shifted even a micro millimeter.
its not only your system.
this is macro differences that nearly every system will be able to let the listener hear.
is like everybody can taste the differences between North and South indian curry.
but maybe not everybody is be able to perceive the taste differences between rice grain varieties.
maybe it takes a real connoisseur to do that.   

cables touching curtains often does something to change the cable dielectric characteristics that will manifest as changes in frequency response and frequency extension further downstream.

Are you good enough or is your system set up well enough to let you hear that?

Offline francishuang

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2016, 19:25 »
A lot of things will affect, footers curtains etc
Different footers different effects, different degrees of effects.Different cables that touch curtain also cause different degrees of effect.. curtain material also diff degree of effect

Everyone correct la...
Everyone sys so different, listening area so different, the degree of effects changes with variables

EMT

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2016, 20:06 »
"Are you not good enough or is your system set up not well enough to let you hear that?"
For sale(neg):

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2016, 00:01 »
Saw these couple newsletters from Paul yesterday and today, that could act as references:

<What matters most>

In yesterday’s post I suggested that to answer to the age old question, are bits just bits, requires us to first change the question.

The question we should be asking is, how can identical bits sound different when played back on different hardware.  Asking the opposite–how can identical bits sound different–is a circular question with only one correct answer: they cannot.

For clarity sake, let’s all agree that stored data is the same regardless of its storage medium: solid state hard drive, mechanical hard drive, USB stick, optical disc. Armed with these sets of facts, let’s dive in and see how things might differ.

Take for example the fact that nearly every CD transport made sounds different, then add to that disc treatments, like cleaning and optical enhancers, seem to further improve performance, and a pattern begins to emerge. Identical data sounds different depending on the mechanism delivering that data.

Optical data has no timing information included on the disc itself. Same with hard drives. Data, is data. Timing information associated with retrieved data is added later. In the case of a transport, a variable clock is used to send bits out to the DAC. That clock within the transport becomes the master timing element for the DAC – and it must be variable. Why? Because the output speed of the optical reading mechanism varies according to the quality of your disc, and where it is reading–beginning, middle or end. These timing changes are what make the audible differences, not the bits themselves.

Realizing what causes these issues is what lead us to develop the PerfectWave Memory player. Simple in concept, the memory player uses a big buffer to store the data retrieved from the disc before delivering it to the DAC. Why does that matter? It matters because of just one thing. It permits the use of a fixed, low jitter clock–where all other transports must rely upon a higher jitter variable clock. Is it perfect? No, certainly not. But we arrive closer to perfect by employing this simple idea.

Viewed from afar, it’s tempting to think the memory player is performing some magic–because discs just sound better. But the truth is, it isn’t better, it just isn’t as bad.

And perhaps that seems a silly distinction, but I would argue that demystifying magic helps us understand what’s really going on in an increasingly complex world.

Tomorrow, let’s look at why solid state vs. mechanical hard drives sound different.

<Armchair critics>

It’s easy to ignore–often criticize–the hard won victories of creative people designing leading edge technology. In fact, it’s one of the double edged swords of our abundantly-connected society that empowers readers with just enough information to miss the bigger picture. And this is part of the problem I find in helping unravel the workings of audio – and explaining the mysteries of differences in sound quality when none should be there. For when we wave our hand and suggest they should have done a better job, we gloss over all that does work well.

Take the relationship between a DAC and its source as an example. The architecture of the CD playback system was originally developed in the early 1980’s as an integrated device; a transport and DAC in one box. Within that box the optical drive supplies the master clock to the DAC through a variable timing mechanism; its variability essential to accommodating disc variations.

Variations in the master clock result in increased levels of jitter, reflected back to the listener in degraded audio performance. Armchair critics can suggest that DACs should have been designed as independent entities–instead of slaves to the source–and few would argue in hindsight. However, let us not wave our hand in a dismissive gesture. I find it more instructive to understand and appreciate the mechanisms behind the technology, even if they have flaws, rather than brush them off like a bothersome insect.

I suggested in yesterday’s post that different types of hard drives present music differently. I know this raises the eyebrows and hackles of many. But, I can tell you with no uncertainty that a solid state hard drive inside my Mac Mini server sounds markedly different than a mechanical one. Want more? The type of RAM employed matters too. How can this be? Data is data. Bits are bits. Right? Well, it’s true only in some cases.

A solid state hard drive sounds identical to a mechanical hard drive only when connected over a network, but different when powered by a computer connected to a DAC. Power supply variations in computers attached to DACs increase jitter levels in the same way that jittered master clocks in CD transports do. But, network connected storage is different. It is physically isolated from the DAC and the device feeding the DAC.

Jitter can result from differences in power supply and processing demands. Want to learn more? I would recommend re-watching our DAC designer, Ted Smith, in his series on what jitter is and why jitter matters.

Click here to begin.
For sale(neg):

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2016, 22:07 »
The transport made by Stream Unlimited (the former engineers from Philips cd pro disc drives) is also one such devices.
Very minimum changes when one track ends and the next track begins.

Which platform were you hearing this on specifically? Stream Unlimited are used by lots of folk...
(hmm.. maybe I'll post a separate thread instead :P)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal