Author Topic: PS Audio DirectStream DAC  (Read 79518 times)

Offline durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
Re: PS Audio DirectStream DAC
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2016, 01:40 »
Next Directstream DAC firmware expected release is June, and should include supporting the new encryption required of the Directstream Transport..hopefully this means we should see the Transport soon, as well as improvement in Directstream DAC sonics. Luckily my Audioquest HDMI cable is still at home :)
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$388

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2016, 08:20 »
Forum news from Paul McGowan on 6 Jan:

Next Directstream DAC firmware expected release is June, and should include supporting the new encryption required of the Directstream Transport..

PS-Audio finally catching up with what Accuphase, Esoteric, EMM, dCS, and Playback Design (and probably others) have been doing for years… Encrypted DSD transmission between transport and DAC :).

I didn't know PWT read SACDs though... thought it's only CDs/DVDs?
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2016, 09:03 »
When I was using Perfectwave Transport a few years back, sacds were not supported.

This new Directstream Transport will be using Japanese sourced sacd transport (Paul did mention transport is Oppo-based). But I think it may be a Long shot if it turns out to be some lower tier Esoteric transport, since memory play/digital lens are always in PS Audio DNA (following what was done in PWT), and they might want to keep the cost down and price the transport at low price.

Some folks might dismiss Oppo-based transport, based on their experience with Oppo players. Me think otherwise. It is all about the implementation. Example my Theta Compli 3D universal transport is based on Oppo 95, but beat the hell out of all Oppo 10x, no matter how high they have been modded.

Had used PWT/PWD combo before with Audioquest Diamond HDMI as I2S, before switching to EMM. So it is like a home-coming back again for me :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:14 by durianlover88 »
For sale(neg):

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2016, 10:29 »
I guess the lack of an SACD transport is likely linked to the original PerfectWave. It wasn't a DSD DAC and there didn't seem to be any reason to include an SACD transport.

The DirectStream was designed to use the same chassis and also sold as an upgrade kit.

FWIW I think the Oppo transport is likely to be the way forward in the future since Sony has stopped producing the chipset used in Esoteric transports. MSB also uses the same transport IIRC
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2016, 11:08 »
I hope they use Esoteric mechanism.  There isn't any better transport in the world.

(Audio)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 11:13 »
I hope they use Esoteric mechanism.  There isn't any better transport in the world.

(Audio)

Don't think Esoteric is selling any new ones so if you build a new model, won't be able to secure them. All you have left are for maintenance/repairs.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2016, 12:13 »
I tracked down the PS-Audio forum thread that DL88 quoted Paul from… along with other relevant threads to read more about it;

- http://www.psaudio.com/forum/latest-ps-audio-news/regular-hdmi-audio-into-pwd-using-i2s/

DL88, where did you read that it’ll be a Japanese sourced SACD transport?? As you said, Paul says they’re working with Oppo and using their mech, in which case it’d be Guangdong sourced Boulder modded :P

One question still: Will the PWT II also play DVD-Audio discs?

That’s a great question I do not know the answer to. If the Oppo does then we do since it is based on their drive mechanism.

is it going to upgradable from the original pwt?

No. It’s an entirely new set of guts, back panel, bottom panel and front panel – I think perhaps the top cover is the same. We will be doing our best to offer substantial help with trade ins – as we always try to do.

The output for SACD raw DSD will be through I2S – and not just one I2S. We will have 3 I2S outputs so multi-channel SACD can play raw DSD into multiple DirectStream DACs for those interested in multi-channel.

The new DirectStream Transport will likely be $4,999 – a bit higher than the original $3,999 of the PWT.

Interesting, fairly steep pricing. Also surprising they’re going down the (OOP) EMM Lab’s TSD1 path for multi-channel DSD output. Paul should know better… it’s been proven there isn’t a big enough market for multi-channel SACD.

Curious that PS-Audio is going down this disc transport path in this day and age… Personally, I think Playback Design has one of the more elegant current solutions to this whole issue surrounding SACD transport, their OpBox - Oppo daughter card with encrypted Optical output (PLink) into their DACs and integrated 5-series players. Very elegant (albeit not cheap).;

MODIFICATION KIT FOR OPPO PLAYER
* Adds PLink output to Oppo103 Player for direct digital link to Merlot DAC
* Captures all native audio data from any source supported by Oppo Player and sends it to Merlot for conversion to analog
* Supports very long distances between Oppo Player and Merlot DAC
* Galvanic separation between player and DAC
* Very easy installation

ps:
- http://www.psaudio.com/forum/pwt-transport-topics/sacd-playback-transport/

Hilarious ;D… Paul’s using the exact same spin from when they launched the DirectStream-DAC;

Indeed, thanks and yes, there will be a PWT II out this year – I have been listening to it play SACD directly into the DirectStream DAC and it is to die for. I will say this with confidence – if you own SACD you have NEVER heard what’s really on them – …

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2016, 12:26 »
Cool...Looks more are aware how much better is I2S over the rest. Hope to see more dac with I2S inputs.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Online jerome_the_lang

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2016, 12:30 »

(Audio)

when u back?

come and compare tsdx vs sony vs shigaclone playing rbcd via the dac2x.

its not how the transport is made its whether got angmokio or not....

;D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:32 by jerome_the_lang »

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2016, 14:04 »
I tracked down the PS-Audio forum thread that DL88 quoted Paul from… along with other relevant threads to read more about it;

- http://www.psaudio.com/forum/latest-ps-audio-news/regular-hdmi-audio-into-pwd-using-i2s/

DL88, where did you read that it’ll be a Japanese sourced SACD transport?? As you said, Paul says they’re working with Oppo and using their mech, in which case it’d be Guangdong sourced Boulder modded :P

That’s a great question I do not know the answer to. If the Oppo does then we do since it is based on their drive mechanism.

No. It’s an entirely new set of guts, back panel, bottom panel and front panel – I think perhaps the top cover is the same. We will be doing our best to offer substantial help with trade ins – as we always try to do.

The output for SACD raw DSD will be through I2S – and not just one I2S. We will have 3 I2S outputs so multi-channel SACD can play raw DSD into multiple DirectStream DACs for those interested in multi-channel.

The new DirectStream Transport will likely be $4,999 – a bit higher than the original $3,999 of the PWT.

Interesting, fairly steep pricing. Also surprising they’re going down the (OOP) EMM Lab’s TSD1 path for multi-channel DSD output. Paul should know better… it’s been proven there isn’t a big enough market for multi-channel SACD.

Curious that PS-Audio is going down this disc transport path in this day and age… Personally, I think Playback Design has one of the more elegant current solutions to this whole issue surrounding SACD transport, their OpBox - Oppo daughter card with encrypted Optical output (PLink) into their DACs and integrated 5-series players. Very elegant (albeit not cheap).;

ps:
- http://www.psaudio.com/forum/pwt-transport-topics/sacd-playback-transport/

Hilarious ;D… Paul’s using the exact same spin from when they launched the DirectStream-DAC;

Broler AndrewC, see this post #27:
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/getting-oppo-dsd-output-to-the-direct-stream-dac/

Three I2S outputs for 3 units of Directstream DAC...only for MC DSD purist I think...

Not sure you mean Paul is big cannonball fairy. But I still fondly like my Perfectwave combo, replacing them only when Perfectwave DAC was no fight with EMM DAC2X. Now that Directstream DAC has upped the ante, I am just gonna subscribe back to this combo :)
For sale(neg):

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2016, 14:12 »
Not sure about Angmokio, but my 6-Sec Yishun method sure works everytime. I always worry the transport will spoil fast with frequent on-off.

PWT uses memory play reading of discs and buffer out through Digital Lens with Reclocking. After ejecting the CD, music will still play until all Digital Lens buffer data are clocked out.
For sale(neg):

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2016, 14:44 »
Broler AndrewC, see this post #27:
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/getting-oppo-dsd-output-to-the-direct-stream-dac/

Three I2S outputs for 3 units of Directstream DAC...only for MC DSD purist I think...

Yup, I read that. Makes little economic sense to me though… why include multichannel hardware capability (for a tiny market), and have it priced into the transport at $5K?… You should recommend to him to use an optional daughter card instead for the two additional I2S outputs (like the Bridge card), don’t need, don’t pay :)

Not sure you mean Paul is big cannonball fairy....

Well, quite frankly, Paul’s has a knack of making old news appear like cool new sh*t ;). That said, they do "borrow" technology ideas and trickle it down to affordable levels… which is a good thing of course! :)

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2016, 15:11 »
Agree the Daughter board concept
For sale(neg):

Online jerome_the_lang

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2016, 16:32 »
Reclock and buffer do not solve angmokio issues.

That's why still can hear differences

Offline durianlover88

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2016, 16:52 »
I don't bother about AMK issues. It belongs to LHL.
I more concerned the transport spoilt from constant on-off playing each song.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 17:06 by durianlover88 »
For sale(neg):