Author Topic: 4k media player NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV  (Read 74921 times)

Offline cd_sg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Re: 4k media player NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV
« Reply #375 on: September 06, 2016, 21:58 »
Do i need this for atmos and 4k movies if i already owned a smart tv lg55e6t? Am askin as now my tv is still pending for delivery. Currently am using the raspberry pi for Kodi. If using the nvidia shield, apart from getting a vpn for netflix to get 4k streaming wat other sources provide 4k and atmos streaming via this nvidia shield? Kindly advise
I got this for atmos, as far as I'm aware it's currently the only one via SPMC (aka kodi) to play atmos (from files or online), for 4k TV dun need to be smart only 4k. I use Amazon prime which yet is not supported on NVS but I also have FireTV 4K and NVS more powerful

Dear bros, does it matter if the unit is from USA, or from the UK? Are there region restrictions like for blurays, or difference in the apps available?
And lastly, got korean dramas via the Shield TV or not?

Thanks for answering my questions :)

Bro e24djenggos, I am watching Netflix via the E6T Oled, works very smoothly even though it's via wifi. But when I put my AVR to direct mode, I see that the input is a 2.0 signal (even with the 4K shows). That's why thinking of getting the shield TV

Never heard that there is a difference, I'd say no, I was watching prime sales on Amazon for both and ended with US for better deal. Also re apps all via google store and that is determined by your google account. As an ang-moh I dun fancy Korean dramas (also no Brazilian ones) but there are sources which you can add in SPMC and they should be available as many more is available

did you switch your TV's audio mode? For sony TVs, i have to switch speaker system option from speakers to audio system before the output toggles to 5.1.
I have a Sony 4k I think X85b or something like that, I have it on audio system so everything comes through AV receiver, depending on your receiver settings it should capture the source audio signal, mine works with no probs. I have the Denon X2200, when your Sony is on speakers it will use the TV speakers which can't play 5.1

Offline bluepill193

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #376 on: September 07, 2016, 08:05 »
Bro cd_sg, thanks for the info!
Bro congsterz, i switch to audio output via avr, using the ARC. It is output in PCM. On avr i selected dolby surround which sounds very good, but in direct mode i see that the source is only 2.0

Offline rage

« Reply #377 on: October 28, 2016, 13:49 »
Nvidia Shield TV Update 3.3 will have support for DTS:X Passthrough in Kodi v17.

http://phandroid.com/2016/10/27/nvidia-shield-tv-update-3-3/

Offline e24djenggos

« Reply #378 on: December 09, 2016, 21:36 »
Can we turn on the box remotely using the game controller? Every time i need to switch on, i have to reachout the button on the box,

Offline cd_sg

• Snr Member
« Reply #379 on: December 22, 2016, 11:23 »
there were recently a few updates for SPMC.
16.5.3 (2016/12/19):
FIX: crash on exit
FIX: WOL
FIX: Hiccups in plain Mediacodec
16.5.2 (2016/12/11):
FIX: Regressions
ADD: SD h/w setting for HEVC
16.5.1 (2016/12/08):
FIX: 4K on AFTV2
FIX: Crash in new Network code
FIX: Crash when exiting on aarch64
FIX: Crash on AML 6.01 FW
ADD: Limit AC3 encoder to 384kb/s with Quality < High
16.5.0 (2016/11/30):
CHG: API 21+ (Android 5.0) only, sorry.
ADD: 4K on AFTV2
ADD: refresh rate sync on AFTV
ADD: DASH support (aka 1080p/4K youtube)
ADD: Builtin log (Settings-System-Logging-Upload…)
ADD: crash handler (no need for logcat)
ADD: rendercapture (boblight, Hue, …) support for Surface
FIX: Only stop Surface when really necessary
CHG: Revert to Surface as standard
ADD: acceleration setting for hevc

Anyone updated ? What confuses me is that he states that Android Lollipop is required, is AFTV2 and NVSTV on lollipop ?

Offline cd_sg

• Snr Member
« Reply #380 on: December 22, 2016, 11:31 »
Can we turn on the box remotely using the game controller? Every time i need to switch on, i have to reachout the button on the box,

I use Logitech hub and switches on and off the box nicely
you may find this thread interesting https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/845276/shield-android-tv/turn-off-shield-tv/4/

Offline rage

« Reply #381 on: January 05, 2017, 15:17 »
http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/4/14173652/nvidia-shield-tv-new-4k-hdr-google-assistant-ces-2017

Seems like the main hardware difference is the game controller design.  Existing owners will get the same features via a firmware update later this month.

Offline rage

« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2017, 16:33 »

Offline cd_sg

• Snr Member
« Reply #383 on: January 17, 2017, 10:42 »
nice - thx for update, the release notes also look good with Amazon coming, but will keep my AFTV 2 anyway I think..anyone using steam on shield ?

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #384 on: September 02, 2017, 11:58 »
So where do you guys sent for repair if there is a need?

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #385 on: February 19, 2019, 19:47 »
i'd like to use my nvidia shield tv to play MKV files. is this simple and straightfwd as plugging a USB drive at one of the USB ports? or do i have to install an app for MKV file playback? it would be great to be able to stream the movie files from my NAS too. is anybody doing this currently?
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline congsterz

« Reply #386 on: February 19, 2019, 20:45 »
i'd like to use my nvidia shield tv to play MKV files. is this simple and straightfwd as plugging a USB drive at one of the USB ports? or do i have to install an app for MKV file playback? it would be great to be able to stream the movie files from my NAS too. is anybody doing this currently?

Just use spmc app which is foc. Yes I’m streaming from my synology nas. 4K, atmos, hdr.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #387 on: March 03, 2019, 07:15 »
Kodi has released new stable version 18.1 Leia. Personally I think it is the best version you can download for your nVidia Shield 4K TV now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: March 03, 2019, 07:20 »
While most of us will agree with me that nVidia Shield 4K TV is the best bag for bucks when it comes to media playback like MKV and streaming apps like Netflix etc.

Some limitations that you need to know...
Do take note that even until now, Netflix app on nVidia Shield 4K TV still unable to support Dolby Atmos and the YouTube app also unable to support HDR due to the difference VP9 Profile level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #389 on: March 13, 2019, 20:51 »
New firmware 7.2.3 available for update. Added the latest Kodi update which adds customizable home screen channels. Apart from that, nothing much to report.

The Shield remote controller also get a firmware upgrade to ver 1.41.