Author Topic: Ask the Pros: Optimizing your Home Theater!  (Read 9222 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Ask the Pros: Optimizing your Home Theater!
« on: June 15, 2015, 10:47 »
There has been a slow down in new thread/topics since last year. As I sift through some of the threads, I can see many valid "speaker layout and setup" related questions been raised in some of the threads. Members provided some really useful and helpful tips and advice but sadly buried in layers of pages. Instead of duplicating the efforts in some of the stickies posted by many helpful members over the years, I thought this thread can serve as one with a "lighter touch" that touch on the fundamentals w/o delving too much into the technicalities...A kind of layman dummy guides for those who wish to know more about optimizing their home theater setup...

Post any relevant questions here and those with the knowledge and expertise can help to chip in...but before that, you may wish to take visit this sticky here http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=48382.0.

This thread will be moderated by me...unrelated posts will be removed to make this thread easier to find answers.

;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:52 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Re: Ask the Pros: Optimizing your Home Theater!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 13:17 »
Q: I have a budget, should I spend more to get a good pair of LCR speakers or save more to get more speakers for the Dolby Atmos experience?

A: You should spend more on a good pair of Mains and whenever possible, get the same make and model for the Center speaker to go along with it. Good pair of fronts and center speaker will provide a more satisfactory performance over adding more speakers in this case. My advice for those who is on the path to setting up a new home theater system, spend your money for the traditional 5.1/7.1 setup first...optimized it till your heart content, then considered adding either ceiling or Dolby Atmos enabled speaker modules for the "heighten" effect. Get the foundation right first before attempting to go add more speakers...the rest will follow with ease.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 20:15 by desray »

Offline MrJ

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 13:50 »
Dear desray,

I know subwoofer/bass can be very personal but there are so many brands out there. Which are the more reputable ones so that one can narrow the search?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 14:31 »
Dear desray,

I know subwoofer/bass can be very personal but there are so many brands out there. Which are the more reputable ones so that one can narrow the search?

I can't say for the rest...but I believed we should introduce those that have been used and tested by our forumers here to be more relevant. KK DXD 808 has a prominent group of followers here (but mind you they are expensive and considered high-end)...for VFM, I will recommend SVS SB/PB 2000 models or if you have a slightly higher budget to play with, you can't go wrong with JL Audio E-series - E110 or E112 (mid-entry level) which I am using right now.

1) JL Audio
2) SVS
3) Rythmik
4) Ken Kreisel (KK)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 20:15 »
Q: If money is no concern, do you think getting a pair of high-end speakers can help to improve the overall sound quality of my home theater experience? After all, these are top-notch speakers with top-notch performance.

A: It is logical to think that way...but sadly the truth may be far from it. If you are looking at improving the sound quality (as in surround experience) to get that cinematic experience, you dun really need to spend a fortune to get the best high-end speakers available in the market to enjoy high-fidelity sound. More often than not, we are at the mercy of our room modes. You can't overcome the law of physics when it comes to sound. A sensible thing to do is to set aside a reasonable amount of money for a good 5.1/7.1 speakers (preferably of the same make and model to achieve uniformity in tonality, timbre and phase). Optimizing a home theater setup which usually comprise of multi-channel speaker setup, unlike a 2-channel stereo setup, a lot depends on the placement of the speakers as well as the audio calibration s/w that your AVR or Pre/Pro amp use...in short, there is no need for you to keep upgrading to a new pair of speakers every year in the hope that it will sound exceedingly better than your last one. If you have the money, spend on something that's tangible...like bluray discs or implement a dual-sub setup if you haven't already done so.

Offline CASH

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
    • My Hi-Fi and H/T Set Up
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 21:05 »
since u say "speakers"...
i would say a high powered av amp is the missing link here...
get a av amp that u know u will be comfortable with. (as in sound signature)
don't spend top dollar for speakers if your av amp is the lowest wattage in the chain.
the watts (sound) that will be churned out will be unbearable as the amp can't deliver to your highest end speakers..
distortion and sadly the speakers will fail in the long run..
that is my honest n true opinion in the chain of things..
spend your money on the top of the range amp (as always, top of the range has the highest wattage)
so no matter wat speakers u get, will sing out the finest n littlest details that u would want to hear.
I LIKE EM, MEATY, THICK AND ROUND!!!!
Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=11189

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 21:48 »
Oh yes,  there's definitely more than just speakers that play a part in getting that optimized home theater listening experience. AVR or pre/pro amp is like the heart,  the CPU that drives everything... That will be another question on the choice of AVR.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 22:38 »
Says Andrew Robinson..if you don't see value here please move this post accordingly. This is a very simple but effective starting point IMHO

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_nd5PpMMW68&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_nd5PpMMW68&fs=1</a>
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 00:03 »
Says Andrew Robinson..if you don't see value here please move this post accordingly. This is a very simple but effective starting point IMHO

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_nd5PpMMW68&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_nd5PpMMW68&fs=1</a>

Ah...Andrew Robinson. :)

Thanks for the link bro. Definitely worth mentioning in this thread.

Everyone here can be a contributor to this thread. Those who wish to contribute can adopt the SAME Q & A style I use for this thread...The answer provided should not be too lengthy and I would encourage a shorter and more concise answer. Any topic of interest worth exploring can take on in a separate new thread or on an existing  thread.

Offline n3wk1d

• I'm a newbies, be nice to me....
    • Alex Steelbook link
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 16:55 »
Since this iis a HT thread, perhaps I tompang here for my question.

My living room had shrunk from 24msqr to just barely 9msqr, no space to even place a decent size book shelve.
Was looking at Anthony Gall speakers but i still need an AVR for that. So looking for other alternative, is soundbar a good alternative?
Base on the small space I have now?

How does the soundbar work? connect directly to player? I have no idea.
If you are buying from Amazon, please help me by clicking from the link    AMAZON USA  |  AMAZON UK    

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 17:52 »
Since this iis a HT thread, perhaps I tompang here for my question.

My living room had shrunk from 24msqr to just barely 9msqr, no space to even place a decent size book shelve.
Was looking at Anthony Gall speakers but i still need an AVR for that. So looking for other alternative, is soundbar a good alternative?
Base on the small space I have now?

How does the soundbar work? connect directly to player? I have no idea.

Bro, long time no see...go radio "silent" ah.

I'm using soundbar in my living room. Mine is a LG soundbar with an AIO flavor to boot - it is a bluray player as well as a docking station for my ipod. Back then, it is one of the better sounding ones in the market, even till this date.

I can't comment much on soundbar but here are some of the links aggregated from the internet for your peruse. Hope it helps.

Buying Guide (source from Crutchfield)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-04Iw7Ir5fl7/learn/learningcenter/home/sound-bar.html

Connecting the soundbar (source from Audioholics)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4QvxB4S05iE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4QvxB4S05iE&fs=1</a>

Offline deadrick

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 18:52 »
Q: i have a 5.1 HT set up, should i select PCM or Bitstream hdmi audio output  on my Bluray player if i want to downmix a bluray movie with 7.1 to my 5.1 set up?

Will both PCM or bitstream do the downmix properly?

Offline sje4182

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 10:21 »
Q: i have a 5.1 HT set up, should i select PCM or Bitstream hdmi audio output  on my Bluray player if i want to downmix a bluray movie with 7.1 to my 5.1 set up?

Will both PCM or bitstream do the downmix properly?

I always use bitstream.

Offline haman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 11:01 »
Hi, is ELAC B6.2 n C5 considerable as an upgrade to my Def tech 600? Just the LCR portion. More for watching movies on Netflix on Xbox 1 n 4K / BR discs. I also have ELAC A4 for Atmos. Will also keep my SR n SL in their current state. Thanks.