Author Topic: Your experiences with Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU)...  (Read 9426 times)

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Your experiences with Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU)...
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 19:02 »
Never heard before and why would anyone want to do that? For me, a true object based sound mix should always be the preferred choice over everything else. Any form of down-mixing to “trick” the AVR deciding to output Dolby Atmos makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. But if you are talking about the update that rid DSU as a viable alternate DSP mode for non Dolby tracks. Then that’s different but that’s besides the point.

Just out of curiosity, where did u get this info of DTS HD MSTR to LPCM and allow AVR to upmix to Atmos? If it’s viable, what’s the experience like? Any firsthand empirical review perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure where I read it... Some forum.. And by LPCM I mean full 8ch LPCM, not downmix to 2ch pcm stereo... Just that the player decodes vs the avr decodes...yup the intention is to bypass the DSU restriction to dolby tracks only..

I don't have an atmos or DSU capable avr so that's why I asked the question. Sorry to OT and derail.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2019, 19:13 »
Not sure where I read it... Some forum.. And by LPCM I mean full 8ch LPCM, not downmix to 2ch pcm stereo... Just that the player decodes vs the avr decodes...yup the intention is to bypass the DSU restriction to dolby tracks only..

I don't have an atmos or DSU capable avr so that's why I asked the question. Sorry to OT and derail.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

No apologies needed. I understand it will decode to 8 Channel Multi-PCM (MPCM) by the bluray player (source) but I am wondering why go such the length to get Dolby Atmos from a DTS-HD MSTR track simply to circumvent the limitations of the DSU not able to be apply to DTS mix. In fact, DTS Neural X (though many  users claim it did not do better than the DSU) but from my experience DSU works better with native Dolby tracks in the likes of DD 5.1 DD+ and Dolby TrueHD and not so much for DTS mix...so the firmware restrictions for DSU to apply for Dolby's very own mix is actually better - for Dolby to protect its IP and also to prevent DTS mix from using Dolby's DSP mode (DSU).

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2019, 20:06 »
A strange thing I notice with DSU and DTS neural x is that with neural X, I tend to get double echo of the dialogue. This is usually with DD or DD+ from Netflix, through my marantz sr7010 (7.1.4), with the same audyssey setup.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2019, 20:16 »
A strange thing I notice with DSU and DTS neural x is that with neural X, I tend to get double echo of the dialogue. This is usually with DD or DD+ from Netflix, through my marantz sr7010 (7.1.4), with the same audyssey setup.

Strange, what type of echo is that? I used to like dts neural x when I had the avr previously, not too bad the listening mode, some movies feel nicer with neural x on... 

Could it be the TV sound from hdmi ARC playing at the same time ?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2019, 21:16 »

I knew what you meant...it happened to my Denon X7200WA as well. It seems to be an issue with DTS Neural X only. DSU is fine. But on my Anthem MRX 720 Receiver, I have no issue with DTS Neural X. My suggestion, turn off DTS Neural X for any form of DSP processing for your height channels instead use whatever native format it has - e.g. if the movie itself contains DTS or STD-HD MSTR, stick with the native sound mix and don't engage any form of DSP. Same goes for DD 5.1 and DD+ media clips.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 21:21 by desray »

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 12:50 »
Yup now I only use DTS for native DTS material.
@ronildoq: no this happens just for dialogue, other sounds not so obvious. Maybe some bug with coordinating time delay with DTS neural X.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:53 by bluepill193 »

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 20:55 »
Yup now I only use DTS for native DTS material.
@ronildoq: no this happens just for dialogue, other sounds not so obvious. Maybe some bug with coordinating time delay with DTS neural X.

Smearing of image can be nasty, best go with the respective listening modes... is this only with the Denon ? Or the rest of the avr experience similar issue ?

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 21:07 »
On my Marantz SR620, Neural X only available when the source is DTS X.  Is this normal?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 21:08 »
On my Marantz SR620, Neural X only available when the source is DTS X.  Is this normal?

No. I think what you are trying to say is DTS Neural X upmixing only apply to DTS tracks like DTS-Core (lossy) and DTS-HD MSTR (losseless). DTS X will not be able to apply any upmixing.

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 21:41 »
You are right, I was a little confused initially but I m seeing that + Neural X is now showing on all the DTS and DTS MA on the display screen!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 23:34 by francis wu »