Author Topic: Your experiences with Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU)...  (Read 9427 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
I thought there is very little discussion on the latest DSP offering (Dolby Surround Upmixer or DSU) by Dolby in this forum. There has been a lot of buzz on this DSP which replaces the Dolby ProLogic IIz or PLIIz of 2013 models. Reviews and buzz around the object-based audio format (Dolby Atmos) has been dominating most if not all the discussions on topics related to immersive sound in the WWW. I thought this thread can allow members to share their experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly side of using DSU.

I will share my experiences with DSU in due course...

Meantime, you may wish to share your experiences with the rest of the members in terms of movies mixed in the traditional 5.1/7.1 or even the DTS:X Neo 11.1 mix...you can also include your experience with 2-channel music (e.g. redbook CD played using DSU engaged), concert bluray etc.

Is DSU really a game-changer or just another "hyperbole" in the making?

I will like to hear your views on this... ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 17:42 by desray »

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your experiences with Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU)...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:53 »
I think there was a review that came out a few months back where the reviewer was unimpressed with DSU for music upmixing - preferring Dolby ProLogic IIx: Music which is no longer available in this current gen of Denon/Marantz Atmos AVRs - not sure about Onkyo/Yamaha or Pioneer.

Frankly I would never upmix stereo music to multi channel so it really doesn't matter to me :)

I would imagine DSU is a game changer if you have height/Atmos speakers already enabled.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:56 »
Great thread Des.

Was re-watching Black Hawk down few nights ago and DSU made a already great original mix better. The distribution of overhead effects makes DSU worthwhile.

Will be re-watching "old" titles again and see how well DSU works.

Read in AVSforum that it may not be better for all movies.

Trying True Legend next.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 13:06 »
I think there was a review that came out a few months back where the reviewer was unimpressed with DSU for music upmixing - preferring Dolby ProLogic IIx: Music which is no longer available in this current gen of Denon/Marantz Atmos AVRs - not sure about Onkyo/Yamaha or Pioneer.

Frankly I would never upmix stereo music to multi channel so it really doesn't matter to me :)

I would imagine DSU is a game changer if you have height/Atmos speakers already enabled.

+1...agreed with Bro Doggie here. By and large, DSU is good for movies with the traditional 5.1/7.1 mixes. But when it comes to stereo, its a totally different experience altogether. Like you, I preferred the good ole Dolby Prologic IIz Music DSP mode if I really want to have some form of multi-channel experience to go with. Sadly, there is NO MORE Dolby Prologic IIz DSP modes to fall back on. One step forward and one step backward in this scenario.

Here's my take on music. For 2 channel music listening, you can choose to engage DSU with very nice, subtle effects when there is no vocal involved...Hence for movie soundtracks or musical instruments, DSU does bring about some "elevated" sound effect that kind of "envelopes" you. But DSU didn't fare very well with artiste singing in the background. Its kinda of a hit-or-miss thing...after all, DSU is a kind of DSP that extrapolates the sound mix from the background to figure out what kind of sound "elements" can be send to the height/ceiling channels to create that "immersive" effect. So long it is "manipulated" in some ways, it ain't gonna sound natural, that much is certain.

Studies have shown that human auditory perceptivity is inclined towards the horizontal plane, rather than vertical. We tends to perceive and make "sense" out of the things we can "see" and hear things at "eye/ear" level. When it comes to sounds from the vertical plane, the Head-Related Transfer Function or HRTF to make sense of the magnitude and scale (height and positioning) of the sound from above us. Since we can't "see", the brain will attempt to "interpret" the sound mix, which can be fairly accurate at certain frequency but not of others. 

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 13:09 »
Great thread Des.

Was re-watching Black Hawk down few nights ago and DSU made a already great original mix better. The distribution of overhead effects makes DSU worthwhile.

Will be re-watching "old" titles again and see how well DSU works.

Read in AVSforum that it may not be better for all movies.

Trying True Legend next.

Yes, it is correct. NOT all titles work well with DSU engaged but most of the good reference level 5.1/7.1 would sound better with DSU engaged. I always recommended Into the Storm and Cloverfield as top in my list to showcase the prowess of DSU when it is doing it right.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 13:22 »
Here's a short list of titles which I would recommend to watch it with DSU engaged...not in order of merit.

1) Cloverfield
2) Edge of Tomorrow
3) The Expendables 2 (with DTS Neo:X 11.1)
4) Dredd
5) The Day after tomorrow
6) Jurassic Park
7) Tears of the Sun
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 23:08 by desray »

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 15:36 »
Do you find that even with Neo:X titles, DSU does a better job of upmixing?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 17:17 »
Do you find that even with Neo:X titles, DSU does a better job of upmixing?

That's a very good question... in fact the reason for this thread was the result of my experience with DTS: Neo X 11.1 vs the DSU. I will share later.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 20:44 »
Just finished watching Vertical Limit.... OMG! This is another must have to show how good DSU can do to older titles. Plenty of helicopters fly by and the gale etc on K2.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab A Plus
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 23:08 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 23:08 »
I just re-watched Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro...and even to this date, I though it still has one of the best CGI effects. But beyond that, the film took on another level of immersion when watched with DSU engaged. The entire film is a brilliant showcase of how good DSU can enhance the already awesome sound track of older titles. Give it a spin and you will enjoy it.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 17:32 »
Just got myself a copy of Tomorrowland...and I have to say that this is one of the BEST PQ and SQ disc for me this year. This movie must be watched with DSU activated...to truly enjoy it! Available now at Laserflair for $39.90.

Offline joagib

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 17:45 »

+1

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 19:49 »
Watching Patriots Day now with Dolby Surround Upmix. When that explosion goes off. Wow. Can really feel the debris coming from above you.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 17:41 »
Watching Patriots Day now with Dolby Surround Upmix. When that explosion goes off. Wow. Can really feel the debris coming from above you.

Bro, you using the atmos enabled speaker modules right - Elac Debut A4 right? As this disc contains the DTS:X MSTR track, how do you find the immersive sound between DTS:X and DSU upmixing?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 18:18 »
Bro, you using the atmos enabled speaker modules right - Elac Debut A4 right? As this disc contains the DTS:X MSTR track, how do you find the immersive sound between DTS:X and DSU upmixing?

I was using the DTS X and Atmos demo disc to do "call out" for each speaker.

The DTS X was less "distinct" for the "overhead" channels so I switched it to Atmos processing on DTS X and it felt more localized.

So in the end I'm using Atmos/Dolby Surround upmix on any DTS soundtrack.
End of Line - Derezzed