Author Topic: Supergirl  (Read 13556 times)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Supergirl
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 09:53 »
Sneak peek of what Superman would look like in costume on Supergirl.

The costume design certainly does seem to take a leaf from MOS but I guess that expected considering that Kara's costume was a derivative of the MOS costume to begin with. So it's like a case of SSBD.

I'm really not sold on the belt though. Aesthetically it looks a little out of place but other than that, Tyler Hoechlin looks quite good in costume and standing beside Melissa Benoist.

Now let's hope their on-screen chemistry doesn't sux. But considering how Melissa seems to get on well with all the cast (chemistry wise) that is hopefully not an issue.

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 10:08 »
Where's the red underwear?!?!?!?!?!?
A whole generation of us grew up making fun of Superman and his red underwear.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 13:39 »
Where's the red underwear?!?!?!?!?!?
A whole generation of us grew up making fun of Superman and his red underwear.

That's a thing of the past with the New 52 revamp and I said good riddance. The New 52 Superman costume revamp is one of the best thing DC did to modernise Superman in decades. Plus his romance with Wonder Woman (of cos). Too bad ultimately DC has to pandered to the Clois (ClarkxLois) shipper and killed New52 Superman off. But I digress.   :-X

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 20:03 »
How come this Superman sports a 2016 hair style ha!! ;D

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 19:42 »
WTH! Having a Jimmy Olsen that towers over Clark Kent is just .. wrong.  >:(

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 11:08 »
A close-up look of Tyler Hoechlin as the new Clark Kent.

If I go by my usual yardstick of judging an actor's performance of super-hero by their portrayal of alter ego identity, then things are looking kinda bleak for Tyler. Cos his Clark Kent is looking too geeky for my liking.  :(

For goodness sake, I hope he has not taken a leaf from the 'Christopher Reeve book of protraying Clark Kent' which is quite frankly one of the worst ever I seen on screen (I know he is still the gold standard for many people - but not me!)

And for all the good that Henry has done in 2 movies to improve Clark Kent on screen, he must be going ....

But perhaps I should not be too quick too judge and should probably wait for the final on-screen protrayal before making a final judgement. Still image is like 50% and if it doesn't impress on first glance, its hard to impress later on. So we'll see.

Offline willieaames

• Dread it
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 14:40 »
Cosplay is a pretty good reason for a health and lifestyle change. I'm actually planning on doing some similar stuff in the near future.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2016, 10:20 »
Supergirl | Taking Off Trailer

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpP5gf8Fj8c&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OpP5gf8Fj8c&fs=1</a>

Nice! This is so reminiscence of the first time Superman take flight in Man of Steel.  8)

While the visual seems to take inspiration from the new Superman, it's been more or less confirmed that Tyler Hoechlin's Superman will be modeled after Reeve's Superman *yucks*  :'( Not surprisingly when you see his geeky Clark Kent set up. *sigh* Pls dun let him overgeek Clark Kent.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 20:57 by lonewolf »

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 21:39 »
The long awaited S02 is here and it was a blast! They certainly squeezed a lot in 40+ mins with lots of easter eggs and nods to the Donner-Superman movie and Byrne-Man of Steel comics.

There were some concerns that the move from CBS to CW will compromise on the quality of SFX. But we always know that CW has decent SFX in its show and frankly I really can't tell the difference between CBS and CW SFX.

The biggest talking point of cos is Superman/Clark Kent played by Tyler Hoechlin. While I had been quite critical of Tyler based on some photo stills, I must admit that he did a marvelous and wonderful job as Clark Kent. His wardrobe may need some improvement and his Clark may have been based on Reeve's Clark, but I'm glad he didn't portray him as a bumbling pumpkin idiot that Reeve did.

I love his chemistry with Melissa both in and out of costume and he was a convincing Superman. His interaction with the established cast of characters was so natural it was as if he has always been part of the cast. His interaction especially with Cat Grant was pure gold and Calista Flockhart absolutely nails it with her giddily girly reaction to Clark Kent.

Most importantly of it, his presence did not distract attention away from Supergirl. And that is not because his part was poorly written or that Tyler acted badly. If anything, I think the writers did an excellent job in not having Superman overshadowed her cousin; when it could have been the case given his longer history and wider media exposure.

So considered me a convert, Tyler Hoerchlin is a certainly a fine addition to the long list of actors who has taken on the iconic role and he certainly holds his own. In many ways, I think he was superior to Dean Cain.

[Potential Spoilers for Supergirl S02E01 Ahead]

Spoiler: show
The episode also revealed a lot of background information on the characters in the series. We know that Clark and Lois are in a relationship. Wynn makes a reference to the Donner-Superman with his reference to Lex's nuke in California from Superman 1.

Perhaps the most surprising one is the fact that Superman and the Martian Manhunter are not exactly friendly with each other. They have always been team-mates in the comics so this is a certainly a new dynamics that probably takes its cue from the New 52.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 21:59 by lonewolf »

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 22:56 »
Personally, I still find it cheesy even though with the introduction of Clark Kent aka Superman!  Action sequences are 2nd rate and not exciting enough to warrant further interest from me! :). YMMV

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2016, 12:28 »
Personally, I still find it cheesy even though with the introduction of Clark Kent aka Superman!  Action sequences are 2nd rate and not exciting enough to warrant further interest from me! :). YMMV

Uncle Wu rule:  If Uncle Wu hates it, there‚Äôs a pretty good chance the show's brilliant!!  ;D ;D

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2016, 14:45 »
Yes, it was an interesting season2 opener. Certainly better than The Flash season 3.

Offline Doggie Howser

Supergirl
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2017, 19:25 »
Man they are laying it thick.

"You are the only Superman we need"

Lol.

And spoilers
-----

Dean Cain channeling Cyborg Superman.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 19:41 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2017, 19:42 »
I like Supergirl, but it's slowly evolving into a chick flick, now with a straight romance, lesbian romance and some sort of bromance between Olsen and what's his name.... not forgetting a Martian romance which has thankfully ended.

All I can say is, bring back Ally McBeal!

* But it's still many times better than what Flash has become. I was actually so bored watching The Flash that I even found myself surfing the Internet which watching.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2017, 19:58 »
I haven't really watched Supergirl in a while - but the newest episode of Flash seemed to be a crossover so caught up last 7 episodes of Supergirl in the last 3 days.

Teri Hatcher too!!??
End of Line - Derezzed