Author Topic: Dome tweeter vs horn tweeter  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Rancho

• Trade Count: (0)
Dome tweeter vs horn tweeter
« on: May 16, 2015, 11:48 »
Dear speaker experts,

Can anyone advise me the difference between a dome tweeter and a horn tweeter?

In the design and build of a DIY speaker, what needs to be considered to decide whether to use a dome tweeter or a horn tweeter?

Appreciate you can educate me.

Best regards.

Offline synthesis

Re: Dome tweeter vs horn tweeter
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 22:23 »
One factor is sensitivity. Soft dome is typically around 90dB while horn tweeter is easily more than 100dB. It will be logical to match the tweeter with similar sensitivity mid/woofer. What are you planning to do?

ghemml

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 22:44 »
Horn main use is as flare assist, so don't confuse it with horn tweeters.

The correct term is compression tweeter vs dome tweeter.

And techincally both can be used on horns.

Offline Rancho

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 23:52 »
I bought a vintage pair of Sansui SP-30 speakers in very good condition from Ebay.
Plan to strip out the tweeters and woofers and replace them with super tweeters and better woofers to match with my LS3/5A 15 ohms speakers.
Bought a pair of Chario CHA-MK woofers from Martin Electronic and now trying to look for a matching super tweeters.
Any recommendation?

Offline synthesis

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:46 »
I don't know what you meant by to match with your LS3/5A. Vintage speakers have their own character. I would suggest to keep the Sansui as it is and build new speaker completely. The new woofer may not be optimum for the existing cabinet. You can pair the Chario with basically any tweeter. How do you plan to build the crossover? 

Offline Rancho

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 09:57 »
Bro,

LS3/5A is very good for vocal music, but lack of coverage on low and high frequency. Particularly no bass.
I have hooked up a pair of 8 ohms Eminence EM-80 super tweeters in parallel and that improves the sound stage. However, this super tweeters take up more space. To add a sub-woofer will require even more space.

So thinking of using the Sansui speaker box to house the Chario woofer and another smaller super tweeter.
As for the crossover, just connect an inductor in series with the Chario woofer to get the low frequency; and a oil capacitor in series with the super tweeter to get the high frequency. Thereafter, connect these in parallel with the LS3/5A.

Please advise if this will work to compensate for the shortcoming of the LS3/5A? Or is there a better approach?

Yesterday just got a pair of Fostex FT-28D dome tweeters and a pair of Foxtex FT-17H horn tweeters from my friend. Which tweeter is better?

Thank you.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 16:45 »
Difficulty to advise....... I'm not sure where to start.
Since you have all the components you may as well do experiment. It will be bonus if it works for you.

ghemml

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 20:55 »
Techincally your Chario can be use with the eminence atp80. But how big is the Chario?

Offline Rancho

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 22:26 »
Hi Bro Ghemml,

The Chario CHA-MK woofer is 18 cm in diameter.
If I choose to fix it inside the Sansui speaker box, then I have to do some wood cutting to enlarge the existing round hole of the Sansui SP-30 woofer (W-30).

Like what bro Synthesis suggested, take it as a learning experience.

Regards.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 23:34 »
FT-28D can be used for two ways with crossover point about 2.5khz. FT-17H can only be used in three ways with crossover above 5khz.

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6N6P Über Tube
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 00:28 »
IF the woofer is the CHA MK, it was used in the Chario Hiper 2, so that is actually a 200mm woofer.

The Hiper 2 is a bass reflex design that has an external box dimension of 420mm x 220mm x 300mm that means it has an internal dimension of anywhere from 17l to 23l. Finding the port dimension is more difficult.

The woofer has an SPL of 88dB which is a lot higher than the 82dB of the 3/5A. You have to biamp and adjust the woofer's output.

As for the crossover, you will have to go active. Why? If you want to blend in with the LS3/5As bottom, it has to be tailored to overlap nicely so that the bass transition is seamless.

If you want to make a bookshelf speaker with it, Chario used a 1.7kHz crossover with the woofer. Not many tweeters can go that low except with a steep crossover.

The way I see it, you have a lot of reading to do. A. Lot. Have fun. :P
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 00:30 by DIYer Straits »
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N5P/6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/Modded TPA 3255 power amplifier/Anaview AMS1000 power amplifier/KT88 SE
FAST with a 6.5" Satori mid and a 12" Pro woofer/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

ghemml

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 11:26 »
Just a hint:

Tools you need, Woofer Tester, and software to use https://www.trueaudio.com/win_abt1.htm

Obtain the Freq and Impedance response for woofer and tweeter, then use software to design the crossover.