Author Topic: Plex as Home Media Server  (Read 3135 times)

Offline FookLai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • survivng with bare system
Re: Plex as Home Media Server
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 13:26 »
My Smart TV is 4K with Atmos and DV

That doesnt tell whether your TV had the capabilities to stream and decode and display 4k media or not.

I think it involved, 3 process as I said,

1) stream - that is where Jag and econav suspected on bandwidth which pass the file from nas to TV.

2) decode - this is where the “smart tv” side do the decoding or media box or uhd player do the decoding of the picture.

3) display - that is if your TV capable of displaying 4k or HDR or not. Apparently you said yes, it come with the capabilities to display 4k.

Now I am not sure your "smart TV" have the right capabilities to do the decoding or not like Zidoo. If not, then NAS need to do decoding.

Btw, I am newbie as well, expert please correct my understanding if I am wrong.

Offline stephensim

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 13:58 »
My Smart TV is 4K with Atmos and DV

I don’t have the latest smart tv with all the latest features. My best guess is the TV is capable of them if you via play 4K movies via Blu-ray player or media player. The player in this case is doing all the hardware decoding. However, in the case of direct streaming, the TV hardware is now doing all the processing work which may not be as capable as a dedicated player, hence the buffering.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline mushroom

• I'm a mushroom!
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 14:11 »
In DLNA, it is the media renderer (ie player) which selects file formats to play from the media server. The media server presents a list of content with different formats (not just resolution, but also video codec, audio codec, etc) for the player to choose. Hence, the transcode setting in Plex allows the media server to provide a number of virtual formats for the player to choose from. If the player selects them, Plex will automatically perform the transcode in the background before serving the data to the player.

In addition, 4K content would normally be 2x or 4x the size of 1080p content. This means a larger pre-buffer is required on the player side, and the network traffic has to be smooth not bursty (smooth means can consistently transfer X amount of data in same amount of time).

Hence, it is best to check:
- from the NAS logs, whether transcode has occurred
- whether a 1080p content of the same size as the 4K content can stream smoothly

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 17:34 »
By now, you would have realised that Plex is not as intuitive to use.

Here's what I would do:
1) obtain video clips of 40p, 720p, 1080p and 2160p. See which one plays without buffering on your TV.
2) Disable any subtitles. Subtitles when streamed out via Plex are considered as transcoding; even if the final transcoded audio and video is the same as the original.
3) Use wired ethernet where possible, and confirm for each ethernet point is at full GbE speed.
4) Try subscribing to PLEX for 1 month. Plex subscription allows to enable NAS hardware acceleration.
5) You can see if PLEX is transcoding from you server dashboard.

That said, in my previous post, I don't use Plex for serious HT. I use it when audio and video quality can take a back seat.

FYI, my 4yr old 4k TV regularly requests for 4K movies to be transcoded to 1080p. I'm not sure why, but I think this will strain most NAS CPUs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 17:42 by Jag »
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline comfortablynumb

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2020, 18:09 »
I have up using Plex
Now using DSvideo and VLC player to stream all my big 4K movies
No Atmos and can't play .iso and bmdv files though but better than nothing
No lag and buffering
If we call for the proof and we question the answers
Only the doubt will grow......
- Ammonia Avenue (Alan Parsons Project)

Offline econav

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2020, 18:16 »
I have up using Plex
Now using DSvideo and VLC player to stream all my big 4K movies
No Atmos and can't play .iso and bmdv files though but better than nothing
No lag and buffering
As you say hv a Z9s , why not using your Z9s as it support Atmos , DTSx , 4kHDR10!!!
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline comfortablynumb

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2020, 18:20 »
As you say hv a Z9s , why not using your Z9s as it support Atmos , DTSx , 4kHDR10!!!

Unfortunately my z9s is at my JB home
Used it before in my Living Room n had no problems
I hv another z9s otw from TB n I m having withdrawal symptoms now

That's y I m looking at alternatives to keep me occupied

Offline econav

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2020, 00:28 »
Unfortunately my z9s is at my JB home
Used it before in my Living Room n had no problems
I hv another z9s otw from TB n I m having withdrawal symptoms now

That's y I m looking at alternatives to keep me occupied
Alamak , forgot to show you how the plex player on my zidoo works when you are at my workshop .
AudioControl,Gallo acoustic, JVC, Ken Kreisel, Starke Sound, FocusView, Rose HiFi, Rythmik, Xgimi, Zidoo UHD2000

From time to time we may sell off New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new, we will dispose off the box.

All posts
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline comfortablynumb

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 01:20 »
Alamak , forgot to show you how the plex player on my zidoo works when you are at my workshop .

Thanks Peng. it's ok now that I have the Z10 in my living room up and running. I am a happy man
Waiting for my z9s from TB for my bedroom
No need to have Plex server as it cannot stream huge 4K files

The Z10 is temporary as I intend to relocate to my bedroom in JB once the X is available ....lol
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:04 by comfortablynumb »

Offline Bbos37

• Snr Member
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2020, 18:34 »
Need help on Plex. Trying to play play with Plex now that I am home due to self-quarantine
Installed Plex server on my Synology Nas and the plex app on my smart TV
When I playback 4K movies, there is frequent lag and long buffering.
Is it bcos I am not a paid subscriber or do I need to tweak the Plex settings?
Change your router to gigabit router and connect everything over Ethernet and use gigabit switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline comfortablynumb

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2020, 18:48 »
Change your router to gigabit router and connect everything over Ethernet and use gigabit switches.

Thanks
All using wired with gigabit router and switches ....anyway, not using plex now as I have my z10 to keep me company

Offline Bbos37

• Snr Member
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2020, 20:06 »
Thanks
All using wired with gigabit router and switches ....anyway, not using plex now as I have my z10 to keep me company

Offline kardtoon

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2020, 21:51 »
I'm a Plex user for many years and have a lifetime membership. I find it extremely useful particularly for syncing files to phones and iPad to watch on the go but also great with living room setups and home theatre setups with 4k projectors.

A couple of things you can do to deliver best experience

- Do not run the server on a NAS or Nvidia shield. Use a proper PC, best is with an Intel CPU that supports quick sync feature. This will allow for hardware transcoding. I use an iMac that I leave on all the time.

- Nvidia shield while it's not a great server is a very capable media player, it can play many formats directly. This is known as Direct Play. The thing about Plex is you want to reduce instances where the server (dedicated or a smart TV) is transcoding. For 1080p, no issues but 4k trancoding is very taxing on the server, especially when you also got all kinds of audio streams going on. Nvidia Shield or a HTPC can do a lot of direct play. Personally I just use Apple TV 4k which is not as great but works in most cases.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 21:53 by kardtoon »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal