Author Topic: Taking the "reflection" route on Dolby Atmos...  (Read 99733 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Taking the "reflection" route on Dolby Atmos...
« Reply #480 on: January 07, 2019, 06:25 »
Definitely 5.1.4 over 5.1.2 or even 7.1.2

2/3 of length for seating position is ideal but moving forwards just a little helps too.

Maybe a narrow table just between rear wall and sofa that allows you to put some photos or ornaments (double up as rear speaker shelves.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jonlee

« Reply #481 on: January 07, 2019, 14:23 »
I see...Its always a challenge when you set up your home theater in a living hall.

Haha ... idea layout speakers at 1/3, sitting position at 2/3.  Can only do in a dedicated room, not possible for me now adays.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #482 on: January 07, 2019, 17:41 »
I have a question
Sorry if it sounds OT
So if you have diffusers or such implements
Will the room be measured from the wall or the edge of the diffuser ?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Taking the "reflection" route on Dolby Atmos...
« Reply #483 on: January 08, 2019, 06:38 »
I have a question
Sorry if it sounds OT
So if you have diffusers or such implements
Will the room be measured from the wall or the edge of the diffuser ?

Good question on the distance setting. I will share my thoughts when I have the time after work.

*Hint* - there is no direct answer to that. Everything about Atmos enabled speakers does “not” have a fixed set of rules to follow and that makes it “hard” to implement. However, it is “easy” in terms of flexibility in displacement when moving the speakers from one listening area to another - e.g. when you decide to change your listening area from say a living hall to your bedroom etc.

If you do it correctly, you will achieve at least 80% - 90% of what its “ceiling based” brethren can do. And that is the “hardest” part!!! But after many trial and errors sessions, now I’m quite happy to say that I have achieved “nearly 95%” in my latest round of playing with the Anthem Room Correction frequency curve (over last weekend).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:46 by desray »

Offline pickwick

« Reply #484 on: January 13, 2019, 14:54 »

@pickwick - for starters, pls move your sofa AWAY from the wall. It will help with EVERYTHING! Especially when you decide to go with 5.1.4 (2 pairs of height speakers.

I don't have option to move sofa away from the wall. Will that mean i should just settle for a 5.1.2? it would be poin tless to install 4 height speakers if i were to be sitting behind all 4 right?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 17:41 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #485 on: January 13, 2019, 17:43 »
I don't have option to move sofa away from the wall. Will that mean i should just settle for a 5.1.2? it would be pointless to install 4 height speakers if i were to be sitting behind all 4 right?

In short, if you *really* can't move the seating out of the back wall then the answer is yes. A 5.1.2 will suffice if you simply want to get Dolby Atmos .

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #486 on: January 13, 2019, 18:18 »
Just to answer to Pete's question on the distance measurement for Dolby Atmos enabled speaker modules relative the MLP. The distance "I' set will factor in the distance from the speaker modules hitting against the ceiling and then from ceiling to the MLP. As the Atmos modules will be sitting on top of the main L and R speakers, "I" will add in more the "extra" distance. For instance, if my L speaker is about 2.0m away from my MLP and after using a laser distance pointer, I measured about 1.5m from the modules hitting the ceiling and then bounced off from the ceiling back to the MLP area. I will add 2.0m + 1.5m = 3.5m for my "L" Atmos module.

The distance from the front L and R Atmos modules to the MLP have to be between 6ft and 8ft away. The key is to raise the speaker modules as high as possible and nearer to the ceiling to achieve better Atmos effects.

Its hard to describe as it is through numerous trial and error and playing with the crossover settings of the speaker modules. In the most recent trial and error, I've managed to get quite good Atmos effects (about 95% efficacy when  compared to ceiling speakers). I discovered that playing with the "order of the high pass filter" for my subwoofers from 3rd Order to 4th Order makes a significant impact to the overall Atmos effect reproduction. This is something "new" that I have uncovered after so many months playing with Anthem Room Correction.

Offline pickwick

« Reply #487 on: January 13, 2019, 20:23 »
In short, if you *really* can't move the seating out of the back wall then the answer is yes. A 5.1.2 will suffice if you simply want to get Dolby Atmos .

Thank you Desray

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #488 on: January 16, 2019, 21:33 »
Just finished watching First Man bluray...one of the best scenes that showcased Dolby Atmos at its very best will be Chapter 7 - Gemini 8 take-off. Unlike Apollo 13, this one place you inside the LEM. When the hatch closed on the 2 astronauts. a sudden silent closes on you and if you able to achieve excellent low noise floor, you will feel the rumbles as the shuttle took off from the launch pad. Simply amazing...

This part showcase the very best of Atmos reflection where it totally immerse you in a bubble.

Link: https://www.asoundeffect.com/first-man-sound/

The 2nd clip is the one I'm talking about - The Gemini launch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 20:56 by desray »

Offline slowpoke

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #490 on: January 25, 2019, 20:44 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #491 on: January 25, 2019, 22:47 »

This is another great Atmos laden sound mix to try out your Atmos speaker setup.

Offline congsterz

« Reply #492 on: January 26, 2019, 13:37 »
I just transferred my elac A4s to the living room to use with the nr1607. Sounds ok when I watched Ready Player One with atmos track. Should I buy another pair of A4.2s or should I try out something new, like the Sony ss cse?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #493 on: January 26, 2019, 15:15 »
I just transferred my elac A4s to the living room to use with the nr1607. Sounds ok when I watched Ready Player One with atmos track. Should I buy another pair of A4.2s or should I try out something new, like the Sony ss cse?

Always use the same make and model - i.e. Elac A4s for consistent sound. Take note that there is a built-in HPF that specifically worked for Atmos reflection. Different speaker manufacturers will likely have a different HPF as such mixing different make (brand) and model will not yield best results.

Offline congsterz

« Reply #494 on: January 27, 2019, 22:00 »
Always use the same make and model - i.e. Elac A4s for consistent sound. Take note that there is a built-in HPF that specifically worked for Atmos reflection. Different speaker manufacturers will likely have a different HPF as such mixing different make (brand) and model will not yield best results.

Thanks Desray!. Sorry maybe i wasn't clear. These are for 2 separate 5.1.2 systems. :) The one i'm looking for is supposed to match wharfedales diamond 10s, and because these are atmos enabled speakers, i figured the sound signature matching is not so critical.