Author Topic: Taking the "reflection" route on Dolby Atmos...  (Read 82346 times)

Offline reno77

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Taking the "reflection" route on Dolby Atmos...
« Reply #435 on: October 24, 2018, 08:17 »
Welcome to the club. U will know why I spent $1,6k per pair when the R50 just released. But Q50a is the more value for money model. But it waited too long to release to the market.

Still reflection route is not perfect even if I own these “gimmicky” sound bouncing speakers which many like to call it and passed it as a “joke”. For me, based on my personal encounter, it is not really entirely without its limitations but when it works, it does quite a wonderful job and sometimes even more natural and convincing in some Atmos effects like rain, wind howling, underwater scenes, tornados and hurricanes, mostly “atmospheric “ effects. At the end of the day, Atmos sound tracks are used sporadically and depends on source materials, we cannot expect every scene to have sound coming from above. What we want is when the occasion calls for it, it sound “convincing” and natural enough for us to appreciate and add on to the level of movie watching experience. It should not sound “forceful” and “artificial”.

Both implementations - i.e. on/in ceiling speakers and reflection based speakers are all capable solutions, each with its own merits. But if I have to choose, I will still advise members to and install speakers on the ceiling whenever possible. Reflection speaker modules will be your best alternative setup to enjoy Atmos movies.

Take note, you can’t take any bookshelf or satellite speakers and point it towards the ceiling and pray it will work like those Dolby certified Dolby Atmos enabled speakers. It won’t!!! There is a special pass filter implemented to rid the LFE and only allow High Frequency to pass through via a special pass filter required by Dolby before it can work.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

The audioholics disagree though.. https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/can-i-use-regular-speakers-as-dolby-atmos-upfiring

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #436 on: October 24, 2018, 12:54 »
The audioholics disagree though.. https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/can-i-use-regular-speakers-as-dolby-atmos-upfiring

I think u need to read through my post in its entirety. I am NOT advocating the use of reflection speakers as the “best” route to take for Atmos setup. I have mentioned ad nauseam that putting speakers above you is STILL the preferred method but reflection route is NOT without its merits. There are advantages in certain surround mix elements which utilise the height channels and I personally (based on my experience) that it worked as good if not better than "physical" height speakers especially those scenes like rain fall, wind howling etc more diffused elements.

The audioholics chaps like gene, I respected his views and that’s about all I can say about him when it comes to his bashing on the Atmos reflective speakers. To him, it is a travesty in the home theater community. For me, tt is either you listen by "auditioning" it for yourself and form your own impression or you can just sit in front of your monitor screen and read about what other people's comments. For me, I will always for the former...sound is subjective. Don't read too much into it w/o first experiencing it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 21:05 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: October 24, 2018, 12:56 »
Can we mount ceiling speakers "naked"?

Will they still work without the false ceiling acting as a sort of "baffle"?

Can u elaborate what do u mean by false ceiling acting as a baffle?

Online etnt

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #438 on: November 07, 2018, 18:20 »
The Kef r8a are finally here

Offline rayleh

« Reply #439 on: November 07, 2018, 19:17 »
Can we mount ceiling speakers "naked"?

Will they still work without the false ceiling acting as a sort of "baffle"?

Do you mean in-ceiling speaker without an enclosure? Usually, in-ceiling speakers are mounted onto false ceiling. However, if you see some commercial building, the in-ceiling speakers are mounted ”naked”. They are meant for PA system so quality of the sound is not their priority.

Offline htng

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #440 on: November 22, 2018, 20:32 »
Seems like an amazing deal. In SG, one speaker can buy a pair in US

Elac Atmos Speakers

Offline Funkyjazz

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #441 on: November 22, 2018, 22:57 »
Seems like an amazing deal. In SG, one speaker can buy a pair in US

Elac Atmos Speakers

This is a new version A4.2. Very attractive price. Not sure will there a improvement in sound from the A4.

Sony also launch their Atmos speakers : https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCSE-Dolby-Enabled-Speakers/dp/B07B48FJFH

Online kaydee6

« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2018, 09:50 »
Is there a need to keep the reflection speakers as the same brand as the front L/R and rear surround speakers? Can mix and match?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #443 on: December 06, 2018, 17:56 »
Is there a need to keep the reflection speakers as the same brand as the front L/R and rear surround speakers? Can mix and match?

No need to be same brand but will be good. However having say that, if the “same brand” Atmos modules performed subpar even though the front mains are superb. I will still ask member to get a different brand of Atmos modules for better effects.

Online kaydee6

« Reply #444 on: December 06, 2018, 22:23 »
No need to be same brand but will be good. However having say that, if the “same brand” Atmos modules performed subpar even though the front mains are superb. I will still ask member to get a different brand of Atmos modules for better effects.

Thanks Desray.