Author Topic: Taking the "reflection" route on Dolby Atmos...  (Read 82725 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Taking the "reflection" route on Dolby Atmos...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 22:03 »
Thanks for the sharing. I will wait for the 44da come in demo before decide.

Yes pls do...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 20:19 »
I received some PMs asking me about the Atmos enabled speakers tweaks...well the only tweak that is required AFTER the calibration is to ensure that you increase the gain for the Atmos modules by at least 6db or higher depending on how "perceptible" are you to the "height effect". There is no magic bullet here...important thing is to experiment with the positioning of the speaker module relative to your MLP. Preferably within 1.5m from your seat.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 18:36 »
Andrew Jones left Pioneer in Feb this year and joined the big family of Elac, German brand renowned for building HT speakers. Just when we thought Andrew Jones had given up on the Dolby Atmos add-on module which he helped to create last year. He decided to take on another shot at its new Elac HT series which bears an uncanny resemblance of the KEF R50 Dolby Atmos speaker modules...Here's a look at it.

The same love he has for his previous effort - using a 4" concentric aramid-fiber cone driver to enhance the height effect. I will certainly like to get my hands on this pair for a review.

Below is the FULL series

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tPX4s--IuxE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tPX4s--IuxE&fs=1</a>
(a short intro by the designer himself)

Now that's really the most interesting part when it comes to the Debut HT speakers series...what's INTERESTING is the fact that the new Elac Debut Subwoofer allows the user to arbitrary adjust the subwoofer level, crossover, phase, EQ-ing etc via your Android smart phone or tablet w/o ever the need to fiddle at the rear of the controls. This allow more flexibility and control from where you sit - i.e. MLP.

(It will be made avail in Sep this year)

Recall the bothersome thing to do when adjusting for phase where you need an assistant to help you adjust the phase control while you sit on your sofa or couch? With this "new and rather innovative" way, this can be a OMO task that the user can perform by himself, at the comfort of where he sits. All you need is a bluetooth connectivity and a mic (I think Jag's gonna love this). Sounds cool...Check out this demo clip by the Elac engineer...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QvFVmjioDac&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QvFVmjioDac&fs=1</a>

Now everyone can EQ the subwoofer with ease and with more confidence...and more importantly provides the user with a "snapshot" of the room node and how or where to place your subwoofer with less elbow grease involved :P I really hope more manufacturers can do something like this in  the near future...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 18:58 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 18:41 »

It appears that both DTS and Dolby have band together to proclaim that their formats are speaker-agnostic and both formats can co-exist peacefully together - actually not at the least surprise since BOTH are trying to sell the SAME immersive audio format. DTS even go as far as "acknowledging" for the very first time that DTS:X works with Dolby's proprietary Atmos-enabled speaker modules such as Andrew Jones's Elite seris, the KEF R50 among others...this is in contrast to its initial stance against the use of Dolby-Atmos enabled speaker modules.

Here's the article covering the session with the 3 "big names" in the immersive audio HT community: http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Update-on-Immersive-Sound-What-s-New-with-Dolby-Atmos-DTS-X-and-AURO-3D.shtml

???

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 13:46 »
That's a nice pair of Dolby Atmos enabled speakers from Klipsch :P

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA

The tower version...Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280FA

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 13:48 by desray »

Offline badbad2000

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Taking the &quot;reflection&quot; route on Dolby Atmos...
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 14:49 »
How about the price? Cheaper than KEF?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 14:51 »
How about the price? Cheaper than KEF?
Based on the article... It appears so.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 14:53 »
The woofer only 4" vs KEF 5"

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 15:00 »
The woofer only 4" vs KEF 5"
Yes... But for reflection, tweeters ability to reproduce at higher spl w/o distortion is the key here. I personally never use klipsch speakers before so I can't comment how good is their tweeter but since its been certified by Dolby to pass the specs and requirements of a dolby atmos module,  I guess it should be there. Real time performance vs specs sheet totally different thing... Must get a chance to hear for myself to be convinced... So far KEF R50 is able to do that for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 15:17 »
KEF really brow my bank. Looking for cheaper alternative. AT i left my contact but never call. Maybe need drop by klipsch to listen demo.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2015, 15:22 »
KEF really brow my bank. Looking for cheaper alternative. AT i left my contact but never call. Maybe need drop by klipsch to listen demo.
Yeah... 1877 is the shop that carries AT right? They also dun bother to get back to me... Sigh. Just wondering... Is your room conducive for dolby atmos enabled speakers? Did your room layout which I mentioned in this thread has anything in common? U seem pretty sure that u want to take this route?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2015, 15:37 »
Yes. The 1877 shop. I have a false ceiling so dont think suitable to mount speaker on top. And reflection route less troublesome. I should to have a pair of height speakers but i took it off.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2015, 15:46 »
Yes. The 1877 shop. I have a false ceiling so dont think suitable to mount speaker on top. And reflection route less troublesome. I should to have a pair of height speakers but i took it off.
U have a pic of your room layout? I maybe able to give u a few dents worth since I'm probably the only person here qualified to comment on the atmos enabled speakers at the moment... Haha

Offline spells

• Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 15:46 »
I wanted to try 2 reflection and 2 mounted, but des say not advisable .

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 15:51 »
I wanted to try 2 reflection and 2 mounted, but des say not advisable .
Haha... If your ceiling height and your sitting position is not within the 'zone'  then it's not advisable.