Author Topic: MQA  (Read 29036 times)

Offline calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MQA
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2017, 18:23 »
Yes, if you look at the theory side of it, it sucks but I have listen to MQA and find it rather good sounding....sorry but it's true.

192K file bought from HD Tracks.

MQA Master streaming on Tidal

MQA sounded superior....sorry.

(Audio)

It's possible.

Often a times, at home, I find music that come along with movie end credits are fabulously mastered with pinpoint sound staging and musicality even when it's of a lower bitrate than its original high-res music format. Very easily enjoyable. Very much more superior.

In my opinion, mastering is more than just specifications. It's an art form, and it's also a craftsmanship. The guy who mastered your HD Track and the guy who mastered your MQA are two different craftsmen.

Hollywood and MQA mastering engineers must be really skilful.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2017, 18:59 »
By the way Audio, just for kicks, for an apples-to-apples comparison of high-rez PCM vs. MQA, you can pull files down from 2L - http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html … And don’t forget to avail yourself to your Ayre’s Minimum phase filter in “Listen Mode” against it’s “Measure Mode”.

I’m guessing the Ayre/.wav high-rez is going to trash Lumin/MQA (as it did for me when I compared Chord Mojo/.wav high-rez vs. Meridian Explorer2/MQA :) )

Sorry, Charles Hanson is just as paranoid as you guys over MQA.....he didn't implement the MQA filter.  I asked him to implement because I know it will sound even greater on the Ayre but he refused to answer for obvious reasons.

So, the Lumin S1 now earned it's place on my Hi-Fi rack.

(Audio)

Offline milk_vanilla

MQA
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2017, 19:44 »
I’m still in 2 months tidal hifi trial, going to finish soon. I think i will continue them with subscription. Now I don’t have to turn on my nas for listening the digital.

Let the collection just limited to analogs
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 19:47 by milk_vanilla »

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2017, 19:47 »
Sorry, Charles Hanson is just as paranoid as you guys over MQA.....he didn't implement the MQA filter.  I asked him to implement because I know it will sound even greater on the Ayre but he refused to answer for obvious reasons.

So, the Lumin S1 now earned it's place on my Hi-Fi rack.

(Audio)

Audio, you misunderstood.. I'm suggesting that .wav high-rez on the Ayre with its minimum-phase filter should sound far better than full-MQA decode on Lumin, when the master source are identical. Chord Mojo (non-MQA decoding DAC) wipes the floor with Meridian Explorer2.

ps: For MQA "Masters" on Tidal; my guess is MQA core decode on Tidal + Ayre DAC should also sound better than full decode via Lumin alone. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 19:52 by AndrewC »
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2017, 19:57 »
7000+

Tidal MQA List:
http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=268355

Are all 7000+ MQA titles available to Tidal subscribers in Singapore?
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2017, 22:27 »
Are all 7000+ MQA titles available to Tidal subscribers in Singapore?

Yes....

(Audio)

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2017, 22:29 »
Yes....

(Audio)

browsing through the titles listed under Tidal Masters in Roon and Audirvana, it doesn't look like it... but I'll try searching for titles at random, based on that list.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2017, 22:30 »
Audio, you misunderstood.. I'm suggesting that .wav high-rez on the Ayre with its minimum-phase filter should sound far better than full-MQA decode on Lumin, when the master source are identical. Chord Mojo (non-MQA decoding DAC) wipes the floor with Meridian Explorer2.

ps: For MQA "Masters" on Tidal; my guess is MQA core decode on Tidal + Ayre DAC should also sound better than full decode via Lumin alone. :)

I tried tonight....no, Lumin sounded better with MQA 96K...when the same MQA master track was forced to play on Ayre, the sample rate was 48K.

(Audio)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2017, 22:42 »
Here...select the "Masters and then "view all'

(Audio)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2017, 22:57 »
I tried tonight....no, Lumin sounded better with MQA 96K...when the same MQA master track was forced to play on Ayre, the sample rate was 48K.

(Audio)

If you were using Roon for Tidal playback, it doesn’t yet do core decoding when streaming into the Ayre (via RAAT). You’ll need Tidal natively (or Audirvana 3+) directly via USB into the Ayre.

Not the most convenient, but thats the only way to really compare on a non-decoding DAC at this point  :)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2017, 22:59 »
If you were using Roon for Tidal playback, it doesn’t yet do core decoding when streaming into the Ayre (via RAAT). You’ll need Tidal natively (or Audirvana 3+) directly via USB into the Ayre.

Not the most convenient, but thats the only way to really compare on a non-decoding DAC at this point  :)

....and that's why I use the Lumin S1.

(Audio)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2017, 23:02 »
....and that's why I use the Lumin S1.

(Audio)

Right, so when you say "MQA is better", you're really talking about better for the convenience... (not ultimate sonic better ;D)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2017, 23:29 »
....I really meant MQA sounds better...not convenient....really and sorry.

All these for just US$18....why not?

(Audio)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2017, 23:40 »
Lumin S1 and Ayre QX-5 play AIFF 192K 24 bit Blue Bayou - Ayre sounds better.

Lumins S1 and Ayre QX-5 plays MQA 96K Blur Bayou - Lumin Sounds better...Ayre shows 48K sampling, not native MQA.

Constantly MQA 96K Blue Bayou on Lumin sounds best.

That is why I requested Charles Hanson to implement MQA as soon as possible because clearly if Ayre implement, it will sound better than Lumin.

But MQA is very taboo everywhere.....

(Audio)

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2017, 23:47 »
taboo indeed... no no MQA for me...  :-X
Dynaudio Confidence C1, Center, Focus 110, Contour SR, IC17