Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MQA
« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2019, 13:27 »
Tidal Master now available on iOS

https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/11/mqa/

With a few caveats - Airplay limits it back down to 16/48

And the iOS app doesn't support Chromecast Audio which would have done 24/96

Is the iPhone DAC capable of 24/96 internally or do you need an external USB DAC?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline MusicEar

« Reply #526 on: March 15, 2019, 10:38 »
With a few caveats - Airplay limits it back down to 16/48

And the iOS app doesn't support Chromecast Audio which would have done 24/96

Is the iPhone DAC capable of 24/96 internally or do you need an external USB DAC?

When I use Roon to stream to iPhone and Ipad as endpoints with Roon remote installed, Roon performs a down-sampled to 48kHz, this may suggest that the internal DACs are still operating at 48kHz. I've not tried using an external DAC.
Holo Spring NOS R2R level 2 DAC | Holo Audio Titanis USB Regen | ROON ROCK on ZOTAC fanless PC | Seagate PersonalCloud 4TB NAS |KECES dual linear power supply for Roon ROCK and NAS | VTL 2.5i pre & VTL MB-125 monoblock tube power amps | Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2 floorstanding speakers | Taralabs Reference Gen mk2 audio interconnects | Alpha Goertz MI-3 speakers cables & Chord Silverplus USB cable | W-Audio power distributor terminated with WattGate plugs | Auralic Aries Mini as Endpoint |

Offline valenroy

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #527 on: March 15, 2019, 14:48 »
It has been while since I last posted and the recent hype in MQA has piqued my interest after my previous obsession with DSD...

What if I hint to you guys that you can readily download and permanently store ALL the MOQ files that is available on TIDAL with nothing more than a free TIDAL trial account and some hard disk drive storage... would you still have reservations in trying them out just for kicks?

*wink*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 14:58 by valenroy »

Offline ginamos

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #528 on: March 15, 2019, 15:57 »
It has been while since I last posted and the recent hype in MQA has piqued my interest after my previous obsession with DSD...

What if I hint to you guys that you can readily download and permanently store ALL the MOQ files that is available on TIDAL with nothing more than a free TIDAL trial account and some hard disk drive storage... would you still have reservations in trying them out just for kicks?

*wink*

waiting for more info :)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #529 on: March 15, 2019, 17:07 »

With the current generation of iPhones, its internal DAC (“Apple 338S00248” CODEC) is only active when you use the phone’s built-in speaker/mic.  Otherwise it’s always digital out via the Lightening port (which can go up to PCM768/DSD256 no sweat). The internal DAC (likewise Apple’s $9 dongle) while capable of 24/96, depends entirely on the playback App and the driver used. With playback apps that use iOS’ native audio drivers, highres gets downsampled to 48k  ;D
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #530 on: March 15, 2019, 17:08 »
... What if I hint to you guys...

waiting for more info :)

Guys, take it to PM or offline… you’re putting yourselves (and XP) at risk.

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/CMA1993

COMPUTER MISUSE ACT
(CHAPTER 50A)

5.—(1)  Subject to subsection (2), any person who does any act which he knows will cause an unauthorised modification of the contents of any computer shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or to both and, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding $20,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2019, 15:50 »

More MQA CD shopping....

(Audio)

Offline valenroy

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #532 on: March 21, 2019, 08:16 »
Hi Audio, do enlighten me on something. The MQA tracks on CDs are of a lesser quality than those found on Tidal (16-bit vs 24-bit) - am I right to say that? I have read on Meridian's website that the MQA tracks on CDs are limited by the 16-bit depth and it is not able to unfold fully like how the 24-bit versions are able to. Just want to clarify as you seem to be the only one around with MQA CDs at the moment. Thanks.

Offline malsound

why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

Offline MusicEar

« Reply #534 on: March 28, 2019, 20:50 »
May be you guys may be interested in this app, it does MQA decoding from library and integrated Tidal, Qobuz and more on an android phone.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/high-res-audio-on-andriod-phone-usb-audio-player-pro/66280
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 20:58 by MusicEar »
Holo Spring NOS R2R level 2 DAC | Holo Audio Titanis USB Regen | ROON ROCK on ZOTAC fanless PC | Seagate PersonalCloud 4TB NAS |KECES dual linear power supply for Roon ROCK and NAS | VTL 2.5i pre & VTL MB-125 monoblock tube power amps | Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2 floorstanding speakers | Taralabs Reference Gen mk2 audio interconnects | Alpha Goertz MI-3 speakers cables & Chord Silverplus USB cable | W-Audio power distributor terminated with WattGate plugs | Auralic Aries Mini as Endpoint |

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #535 on: March 29, 2019, 05:42 »

More MQA CD shopping....

(Audio)

Hi Audio, do enlighten me on something. The MQA tracks on CDs are of a lesser quality than those found on Tidal (16-bit vs 24-bit) - am I right to say that? I have read on Meridian's website that the MQA tracks on CDs are limited by the 16-bit depth and it is not able to unfold fully like how the 24-bit versions are able to. Just want to clarify as you seem to be the only one around with MQA CDs at the moment. Thanks.

Aiyo Audio... seriously? I'm also curious to see your response to Valenroy on why you would buy so many of these MQA CDs with less than 13bits of actual music content. (You don't think that money is better spent buying actual hires downloads?? :P)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #536 on: March 29, 2019, 14:07 »

More MQA CD shopping....
(Audio)

I have with me, the same CDs that I bought when these titles are first released.  I also have SACD version of some of them.  I also bought the hi-res versions too.  The MQA CD sound quality is a mixed bag.  Not consistently better, not consistently worse.   There were a few fine moments I got , listening to MQA.

So, here you are, shopping in downtown Tokyo......browsing at Tower Records in Shibuya, probably the last multi-storey CD outlet in the world......you got a whole row of these MQA CDs sitting on the shelf, staring at you, what would you do?

Frankly, the effort was entirely worth it because I got a irritated response from our prime MQA hater here, who must have got the second largest collection of MQA CDs, here in Xtremeplace.   What could he do?  His Hi-End Top Notch DAC supports MQA.  :)

In respect to the extraction, I did this with an Oppo 205 and got the following response.  I suppose it is working and the Oppo did managed to extract from the CD,

This is the CD being played on the Oppo 205 with the screen shopwing the data rate in the background.

This is a closeup shot of the data rate as claimed by the Oppo 205.

Aiyo Audio... seriously? I'm also curious to see your response to Valenroy on why you would buy so many of these MQA CDs with less than 13bits of actual music content. (You don't think that money is better spent buying actual hires downloads?? :P)

In life, you must taste the bitter, or else, how could you appreciate the sweet?   
These MQA CDs, whether good or bad, I need to buy them to compare, I suppose, that's holiday shopping.  I have not ripped any of these CDs yet as I need to catch up on other aspects of the hobby.....I am beta testing Audiophile Optimizer Beta36 of AO3.00....and I just installed JRiver MC25....I build a new AMD Threadripper PC to sandbox these with Window Server 2019 Core OS.  This is probably the best music server I ever constructed.  The other AMD Threadripper PC holds Window Server 2016 Core , AudioOptimizer 2.20 and JRiver MC24 64 bits.   The SQ between both music serevrs are very significant.  I will share when the time is right.

(Audio)

PS: I can't wait to go back in Jun this year to buy up the Carpenter MQA CD collection!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 14:23 by Audio »

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #537 on: April 01, 2019, 04:29 »
So, here you are, shopping in downtown Tokyo......browsing at Tower Records in Shibuya, probably the last multi-storey CD outlet in the world......you got a whole row of these MQA CDs sitting on the shelf, staring at you, what would you do?

You...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijhL9Y7skQs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ijhL9Y7skQs&fs=1</a>

... I have not ripped any of these CDs yet as I need to catch up on other aspects of the hobby.....

Best to rip to FLAC and use MQA’s “MQATagRestorer” application to fix file headers properly for consistent decoding behaviour, be it software or hardware decoding.

The MQA CD sound quality is a mixed bag.  Not consistently better, not consistently worse.   There were a few fine moments I got , listening to MQA.
...PS: I can't wait to go back in Jun this year to buy up the Carpenter MQA CD collection!!

The MQA CDs are consistently worse than the highres downloads obtainable for practically every MQA CD available (at the same or less than the price of those MQA CDs). Guess you need to spend some more $ before you realise that ;D

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #538 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22 »
WLE

ALAN TAM ALSO GOT MQA!!??

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #539 on: May 27, 2019, 11:22 »
OMG....The ENTIRE 12 CDs of the Carpenters MQA got cancelled!!!   JapanCD refunded my order.   What a sad day!

Anti-MQA lobbyists are winning...    :)

(Audio)