Re: MQA
« Reply #510 on: January 08, 2019, 16:21 »
*Sorry, I cannot help giggling*

(Audio)

Offline MusicEar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #511 on: January 09, 2019, 13:49 »
Virtually all android OS will re-sample to 48kHz and only a few with special tweaking to the OS will bypass the SRC (Sample Rate Converter) to the internal DAC. By the way how many android phones have a 96kHz capable DAC built-in?

In most case, it will down-sample to 48kHz when using the internal DAC. In some case, when using an external portable DAC with USB-OTG may work.
Holo Spring NOS R2R level 2 DAC | Holo Audio Titanis USB Regen | Auralic Aries G1 | Seagate PersonalCloud 4TB NAS | I.AMP.D linear power supply for NAS | VTL 2.5i pre & VTL MB-125 monoblock tube power amps | Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2 floorstanding speakers | Taralabs Reference Gen mk2 audio interconnects | Alpha Goertz MI-3 speakers cables & Chord Silverplus USB cable | W-Audio power distributor terminated with WattGate plugs | Lightning DS and Roon Core

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #512 on: January 09, 2019, 15:45 »
*Sorry, I cannot help giggling*

(Audio)

Glad I'm keeping you entertained  :P

Virtually all android OS will re-sample to 48kHz and only a few with special tweaking to the OS will bypass the SRC (Sample Rate Converter) to the internal DAC. By the way how many android phones have a 96kHz capable DAC built-in?

In most case, it will down-sample to 48kHz when using the internal DAC. In some case, when using an external portable DAC with USB-OTG may work.

I'm pretty sure you're very mistaken!

If you Google search, the [AudioTrack] API on Android OS supports up to 24/192k, and most of the Android phones these days have audio codecs that can support 24/96 at least. For example, the Samsung S7 (2 years old) has the Qualcomm WCD9335 audio codec which supports PCM 24/192k. Phones like LG and Sony I believe are the same or even better!

As for Android Phones to external USB DACs, 3rd party App drivers easily bypass native Android ones and support full highres... that's how Apps like USB Audio Player Pro work for actual highres support on external DACs - for example, here's what USB Audio Player Pro says;
USB Audio Player Pro, which was built specifically for USB DAC output, utilizes a custom USB audio driver that can bypass any Android sampling limitations, which means your 32-bit/384kHz files will actually play at that bitrate/frequency.

Don't be confused by Bluetooth Limitations.
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline MusicEar

« Reply #513 on: January 10, 2019, 18:38 »
Yes, the newer phones with the latest codecs can support up to 24/192k but it is always based on the 48kHz clock multiples (there's only one frequency based clock). If the source is 48k, 96k and 192k, you don't have an issue. The problem occurred when the source is 44.1k, 88.2k and 176.4k. The android re-sampler will kick in and convert to 48k, 96k and 192k. Re-sampling always introduces truncation errors (no longer bit perfect) and in some case increased in jitter. Tidal Master not only stream in 48kHz but also 44.1kHz. The results get decoded to 88.2/96k.

To avoid this issue, manufacturers have to incorporate two based clocks; one to handle 44.1k and the other 48kHz multiples. In technical term, it requires two separate crystal oscillators. I've not seen this implementation in android and iOS phones yet. I do see it in some android based music players. I've a Fiio X5III android based music player loaded with latest Tidal app that support MQA. This player contains two separate base clocks and a tweaked android OS to bypass the re-sampler. More information on Fiio X5III:

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/65

Playing back Tidal Master on Fiio X5III music player:

Output Fiio X5III via coaxial to Topping DX3 Pro DAC (96kHz after decoded):

Output Fiio X5III via coaxial to Topping DX3 Pro DAC (88.2kHz after decoded):

The DACs built-in for phones applications does not yield good sound quality, besides, you need an external DAC via USB-OTG to get optimised SQ. The downside, it will add weight and not everyone would want to carry a DAC stripped to their phones with messy cables.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 18:49 by MusicEar »
Holo Spring NOS R2R level 2 DAC | Holo Audio Titanis USB Regen | Auralic Aries G1 | Seagate PersonalCloud 4TB NAS | I.AMP.D linear power supply for NAS | VTL 2.5i pre & VTL MB-125 monoblock tube power amps | Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2 floorstanding speakers | Taralabs Reference Gen mk2 audio interconnects | Alpha Goertz MI-3 speakers cables & Chord Silverplus USB cable | W-Audio power distributor terminated with WattGate plugs | Lightning DS and Roon Core

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #514 on: January 10, 2019, 20:57 »
Yes, the newer phones with the latest codecs can support up to 24/192k but it is always based on the 48kHz clock multiples (there's only one frequency based clock). ...

Duh ::)  Even many mid and lower-end standalone DACs work that way too; dividing down and using fractional multipliers from a single master clock frequency. Mobile phones are no different. Expecting external DAC build quality and SQ is pretty silly.  As for portable players, FiiO is not the only one. You might want to read up on iRiver’s Astell & Kern players, MQA support since around mid last year, and IMHO, better than FiiO players by a mile.
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.