Author Topic: DC TV Series- Preacher, The Sandman, Watchmen  (Read 38503 times)

Online francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
Re: DC Fanboy Feast - Gotham, The Flash and Constantine
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 13:48 »
Another top episode this time pitting Flashy with the Mist!  It's getting more mysterious with each passing show and the way it progresses and I just can't wait to see how the ending pans out! :) 

Online francis wu

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 13:23 »
The 4th episode 'Going Rouge' is another step up in mystery as it has a second part!   Can't wait to see how his fight with a new villain Mr. Ice turn out to be!! :)  Great stuff so far! :)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 17:36 »
The 4th episode 'Going Rouge' is another step up in mystery as it has a second part!   Can't wait to see how his fight with a new villain Mr. Ice turn out to be!! :)  Great stuff so far! :)

Ehh.. Captain Cold  :D Its great to see all the classic Flash rouge gallery making an appearance. Believe it or not, I read Gorilla Grodd will also be making his appearance on the show!  :o For those not familiar, Gorilla Grodd is a hyper-intelligent telepathic gorilla with the power to control the minds of others. How they are going to incorporate Grodd and explains his presence will be something to look forward to.

Here my thought on the 1st episode of Constantine. Frankly I'm still amazed this show make it to network instead of cable. Demonic possession, angels, black magic and demons are theme you would expect not from NBC.

[MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR CONSTANTINE EP 1

Overall I think this is an excellent adaptation of the character John Constantine. The castings were generally good but the acting were a little stiff at times. Matt Ryan was OK as John (certainly better than awful Keanu Reeves ). One thing he really got spot on was his nonchalance, his smug and wise-cracking ways of dealing with his personal demons. At least they got an Englishman to play and his accent is perfect so I'm sure he'll improve once he more comfortable with the character.

The special effects were certainly very impressive. The pilot certainly threw a lot our ways. We see demonic possession, the road opening up, angels with 10-feet wings, demons with horn, shadowy ghostly figures and ghost trains, epic battle with an electricity demon. So the action part of the equation certainly measures up.

For the DC fanboy, I think seeing the Fate helmet was without a doubt the highlight of the show. Apparently there were other Easter eggs like Ibis Stick, the Medusa Mask, Pandora's Box, and some Zatanna-style backward writing showing up. I admit I missed those on my first viewing.

The 1st episode has decent rating but it probably got a leg up from Grimm S04 so I'm not sure if the rating would hold. I dun think this series would appeal to non-DC fanboy much other than those who may be looking for something different from the usual crime, spy, doctor, legal and politics shows out there. And having this show on network means that the ratings need to be set at a higher bar for it to be renewed; and I will be surprised if it achieve that.

That still a long way off and its hard to gauge the popularity of the show on 1 episode (exception The Flash which I would be shocked if its not renewed). So in the meantime I will just sit back and enjoy the ride - however short it may turn out to be.

Online francis wu

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 20:26 »
Flash episode 5 'Plastique' is another excellent one and too date, never fail to disappoint me in the story line and intrigue!  Keep it up ;D

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 21:57 »
OMG! It's Grodd!!

And I was wondering how they are going to introduce a hyper-intelligent telepathic gorilla with the power to control the minds of others. And in the end, it was much simpler than I imagine. When I read about the writer's plan to bring Grood, I thought they were a little crazy but considering that Grood is one of Flash's classic rouge gallery, I am glad they had introduced him to the series.

But his powers will probably be tweaked a bit as will be his origin. Apparently he (it?) was teased in the 1st episode. Must have missed it, will go back and watched again.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 05:02 »
But his powers will probably be tweaked a bit as will be his origin. Apparently he (it?) was teased in the 1st episode. Must have missed it, will go back and watched again.

Yup! And it wasn't subtle either! ;)... It's right after Barry awakes from his comma while at S.T.A.R Labs; there's a scene where Barry and Wells are walking past Gorilla Grodd's empty damaged cage; presumably he took off immediately after the particle accelerator explosion.
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 15:37 »
Yup! And it wasn't subtle either! ;)... It's right after Barry awakes from his comma while at S.T.A.R Labs; there's a scene where Barry and Wells are walking past Gorilla Grodd's empty damaged cage; presumably he took off immediately after the particle accelerator explosion.

Yeah. I had seen pictures of the many easter eggs in episode 1 and while I caught many of the more obvious one, I was still a little shocked that there was 26 in the pilot! And I dun know how I missed it, probably too excited to see the Flash on TV I guess. Yeah I know its a lame excuse but its the only one I got so I'm rolling with it.

If Grodd has escaped all this time and remain passive then it is definitely not the comics Grodd who is certainly not passive. Maybe this Grodd will be something like Caesar from the reboot Planet of the Apes, which is more a pacifist. And maybe you need an idiot like Wade Eiling to provoke it.

Offline sigma

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 17:44 »
Episode 4 of Constantine really showed more of himself. Is he someone really that manipulative or some poor soul tortured soul forced to make difficult choices?  :'(

Online francis wu

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 21:47 »
The Flash vs Metal Man episode 6, another hit and another intriguing end to the episode.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 21:54 »
Episode 4 of Constantine really showed more of himself. Is he someone really that manipulative or some poor soul tortured soul forced to make difficult choices?  :'(

In essence we will never know and sometimes I wonder if John himself know either.

I think this is the reason why the morally nonchalant and ambiguous character is so well-liked by comic fans. 

Though I would argue that the TV series is certainly make him a more sympathetic character. eg. you will never scene like John holding Gary's hand at the end of ep #4 in the comics book.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 15:38 »
Not exactly a surprise but NBC will not be picking up the back nine episodes for Constantine. [ SOURCE ]

As noted, it is not a good sign but hopefully the ratings would pick up and the series would get a 2nd season but I think the chance of that happening is going to be quite low. Well, I always knew that Constantine was going to be a hard sell but it's a good effort and I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride - however short it may end up to be.

Online francis wu

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 22:40 »
The Flash episode 7 is the best to date.  Don't miss it.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 17:36 »
5 episodes into Constantine and i'm really liking this one. too bad there won't be a season 2. i thought this series has a lot of potential.

the fall finale of Gotham is also a good one. the Penguin continues to carry this show forward.

and yeah I do agree Flash is very enjoyable to watch :)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 20:47 »
5 episodes into Constantine and i'm really liking this one. too bad there won't be a season 2. i thought this series has a lot of potential.

the fall finale of Gotham is also a good one. the Penguin continues to carry this show forward.

and yeah I do agree Flash is very enjoyable to watch :)

Oh man, considering your exacting standards, I say its rare that you find all 3 series to your liking.   :D

For me the best thing about Constantine Ep 5 is the introduction of Jim Corrigan, who is one of the alter egos of the uber powerful spirit of vegenance Spectre . And Zed's vision at the end seems to hint strongly that the Spectre may be introduced in the show, which will get any DC fanboy excited.

Of cos whether that actually comes to past now will largely depend on whether there will be a S02 of Constantine. Despite not having a 9-episode back order, its not impossible for a S02 to be ordered. Series like The Following, Hannibal and Salem among others has season that is 13 episodes. So still keeping my fingers crossed for a S02.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 14:51 »
i don't have any exacting standards :) i just watch whatever i like, whenever i can :p even if Constantine doesn't come back for a 2nd season, i might just get into the comic books. i think the SE DVD release of the Keanu Reeves movie came with a comic or something... I might have to dig that one up from my collection.

i haven't started on Following & Salem yet but both are on Netflix and i'll probably get around to watching them soon. i'm really looking fwd to Hannibal Season 3 though. i just loved how that last scene from the Season 2 finale of Hannibal :)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you