Author Topic: DC TV Series- Preacher, The Sandman, Watchmen  (Read 38463 times)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (0)
DC TV Series- Preacher, The Sandman, Watchmen
« on: September 24, 2014, 13:23 »
It's a good time to be a DC fanboy. ;D Not only are we getting the DC Trinity on the big screen in 2016, we are getting a trio of TV shows that is expanding the DC universe on the small screen.

Gotham kick off the feast on Mon with episode 1 . The Flash is a spin-off from The Arrow will premiere 7 Oct. And finally anti-hero Constantine will start Oct 24.

All the indications for Gotham is that its going to be a monster hit. Of cos Gotham is known as the city that spawn Batman but essentially the series is an origin story of the city itself. And the origin story of so many of the Batman's cast of characters like Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler, Poision Ivy, Joker, Harvey Dent and Mr Freeze among others. Perhaps most important of all, its the origin story of one Jame Gordon.

The series starts with the murder of Bruce's parents and the story just take off from there. James Gordon is a rookie cop. A good cop in a not so good city. And I think he will be the focus of the series as we get to see how he progressed from the character he was at the start of the series to becoming one of Batman's greatest ally.

Apart from Batman's rouge gallery, let's not forget all the other characters from GCPD like Montoya, Allen, Harvey Bullock. And the crime boss like Falcone. Its wonderful to see all these characters coming to life on the small screen.

Standby performances from the 1st episode includes Ben McKenzie (Jim Gordon), Donal Logue (Harvey Bullock), Jada Pinkett Smith (Fish Mooney) and Robin Lord Taylor (Oswald Cobblepot).

The set design is gorgeous. The writings is intelligent. The acting is superb and things move along at a quick pace, with just a small dash of action. Its gonna be a blast. I can't wait for more episodes!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:43 by lonewolf »

Offline Doggie Howser

Re: DC Fanboy Feast - Gotham, The Flash and Constantine
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 16:50 »
It's promising but I can't quite stand Alfred with a very low class English accent :) the casting director is aware there's a difference, right? And I have never seen Alfred in the comics ever depicted to speak like a character from Guy Ritchie's underground London.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:08 »
It's promising but I can't quite stand Alfred with a very low class English accent :) the casting director is aware there's a difference, right? And I have never seen Alfred in the comics ever depicted to speak like a character from Guy Ritchie's underground London.

Yeah. Agree that its quite jarring and extremely out of character. Alfred is for all intend and purpose Bruce's father figure. And while Alfred has dished out his fair share of tough love, Sean Pertwee's portrayal is quite off from the Alfred that we know and love in the comics. So that was definitely poor casting and characterisation.

And it seems that the DC fanboy feast is continuing. A new Supergirl TV series has just been announced.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:25 by lonewolf »

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:26 »
The Alfred in Gotham is a warrior butler, not the gentlemanly tea-drinking one in the comics and the Batman movies so far.
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 22:45 »
Just saw the first two episodes of Gotham and I am not overly impressed at all, least of all that gangster-like Alfred 'bloody' Pennyworth. I find the episodes... what's the word... lackadaisical  ;). The plot feels like all those a dime in a dozen crime-dramas week in week out. The dialogue is cheesy and cringe-worthy and characters talk non-stop so that you don't have to exercise cerebrally.

I am not saying no one will enjoy this but I am just too spoiled by Nolan's Dark Knight movies. I must say there is a nice comic book sheen to it and the look is gorgeous.

PS - When I heard about this new series I was hoping they will go for the gritty tone of Greg Rucka's Gotham Central, an amazing series of graphic novels that look at the detectives of GCPD with Batman only as a peripheral. This new series doesn't even come close to that level IMHO.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 22:53 by westendboy »
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 13:20 »
I know that comparison between Gotham to the fantastic Gotham Central will be inevitable but ultimately an exercise in futility; as will any comparison with Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Gotham may never come close to those series; and thankfully they really shouldn't or need to. Because ultimately Gotham is not based on either series and really should not be judged on those series success but by its own merits.

I certainly did not expect Gotham to be a canonical retelling of many of the comics characters featured. So as with Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, Gotham is merely another retelling of the classic tales with characters which many of us are familiar with. Essential its an Elseworlds tales.

Perhaps that is why despite being a DC fanboy, I'm able to just let go, try not to nit pick and just enjoyed the ride and the series. No adaptation can escape its source material completely. And I find that the successful series like Arrow and Smallville (and to a lesser extent Lois and Clark) cleverly adapted the source material but put a fresh twist and elements to make the characters and situation more interesting.

So hopefully Gotham (and the upcoming Flash) will do the same.

Speaking of Flash, it has been described by DC CCO (Chief Creative Officer) and the series Executive Producer Geoff Johns as "the most faithful DC Comics adaptation ever’. That's a pretty big claim and I will reserve judgement till I see the 1st episode.

And I think DC fanboy is starting to be in danger of suffering from indigestion, if news that a Teen Titans series is in development is true. Ohh.. its a good time to be a DC fanboy.  ;D

Based on characters from DC Comics, Titans revolves around a group of young superheroes-to-be who are recruited from every corner of the DC universe. The action-themed drama centers on Dick Grayson, who emerges from the shadow of Batman to become Nightwing, the leader of a fearless band of new superheroes including Starfire, Raven and more. The show is described as a dramatic adventure series that will explore and celebrate one of the most popular comic book titles ever.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 15:03 by lonewolf »

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 21:31 »
Just watched the 1st episode of The Flash and Geoff Johns wasn't kidding when he called it the 'most faithful DC Comics adaptation ever'. Of cos it doesn't hurt that Mr Johns is not only an excellent comics writer himself  and that he's sharing writing duties on the show. He was responsible from bringing Barry Allen back to the pre-new 52 DC universe. So he's intimately familiar with the character

The following contains spoiler and the unabashed gushing of a DC fanboy. Pls proceed to read further on your own discretion.  ;)

[SPACES LEFT FOR SPOILERS WARNING]

The Flash is very very good; I got goosebump watching the first episode. The action and special effect is great. The acting is mostly ok. The plot and writing is crisp and moves along at a good pace. The dialogue and the interaction between the characters is just fantastic.

I think its cool that The Flash and Arrow are sharing the same universe. But its also an interesting contrast in juxtaposition considering that Arrow is steadfastly non-metahuman (ie no superpowers) while the Flash is unabashedly so.

I think its great that they got John Wesley Shipp (who played Flash/Barry Allen in the 1990 series) a recurring role in the series as Barry's father, Allen Barry.

Like a lot of people, I wasn't convince about Grant Gustin as the lead role. Its easy to be skeptical when you consider that he's probably most well-known as one of the Glee's character that sing, dance and scheme. When I saw him in Arrow, I wondered if they made a mistake with the casting because he just seems so small in stature, even a little wimpy. And when he placed him beside Stephen Amel, he just doesn't has the screen presence.

After watching his performance in the first episode, I think I understand why he was cast as Barry Allen. Barry has always been this optimistic, cheerful and determined character in the comics. He's isn't as grim and serious as Bruce or Oliver; but he's also not as reckless as Hal. So it was the lightness of his character that really defines Barry Allen and in this aspect, Grant pulled it off admirably.

I dun like the casting of Iris West. I hate it when they keep doing the race switch with the character. Why is it even necessary? Why do you even need Iris West to be an African-American in the show? I just dun get it. But Candice Patton's performance is fine and I love her chemistry with Grant. It seems so genuinely warm and you do believe they have been best friends all their lives. But I do hope they cut down on the teenage angst unrequired love angle. They are all adults after all; not teenagers!

Right off the bat, the first super-villian in the series is the Weather Wizard - one of the supervillans in Flash's extensive rouge gallery (if I'm not mistaken, Flash has the 2nd most extensive rouge gallery after Batman). Of cos he was never referred as the Weather Wizard in the show, but for all intend and purpose, that was who he was.

Like many comics adaptation, your enjoyment of the series will be magnified if you are a fan of the comics. The murder of Barry's mother when he was a child is straight out of the comics. And fans of the comics will know that real identity of his mother's murderer was in the first episode! I had to do a double take cos the character was slightly changed from the comics.  :-X

There were other comics inspired characters like Dr. Caitlin Snow (civilian identity of Killer Frost) and Cisco Ramon (civilian identity of Vibe). Apparently Caitlin's fiancee (assumed killed in the particle accelerator accident) is Ronnie Raymond aka Firestorm. So I'm sure many more will turn up as the series progressed.

Dr. Harrison Wells is an interesting character. He seems to be an original character but he reminds me of a certain comics character that primary mission is the protection of the integrity of the time stream. I wonder if Dr Wells is Rip Hunter.

So that was the first episode of the Flash. Can't wait for more!!

Online francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 13:39 »
I agree with you, it's indeed a very good TV serial start for Flash! 
Grant Gustin is better looking than Andrew Garfield and I am sure he will attract more female fans out there once the series start to roll out ;D
Easily a 4 for me! :)

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 15:08 »
I agree with you, it's indeed a very good TV serial start for Flash! 
Grant Gustin is better looking than Andrew Garfield and I am sure he will attract more female fans out there once the series start to roll out ;D
Easily a 4 for me! :)

Here the thing. Both are equally youthful looking (and I wont be drawn into who is more good looking) but Andrew is playing a teenager while Grant is playing a young adult. So overall while Andrew works perfectly, Grant is a little too youthful looking to play a 20-something Barry. But thankfully its not too annoying so I can live with it.

A 4?? I hope you are using a 5-star scale.  ;D

And for those curious about the comics character that is coming up in the series, THR has done a better job than me. But beware, the link may contain possible spoiler so click at your own risk!

Online francis wu

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 16:05 »
haha, definitely a 4 out of 5 :)

I m loading it into my One+ for second viewing when I m on the road! :D

Online francis wu

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 20:50 »
The second episode is just as good with Flashy pitting his skill against Mr. Clone (my name for this villain), a guy who can multiply himself into an army!!  There are some flash back  to further explain the relation between Barry and his foster father and some touching scene!
Don't miss it! ;D

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:38 »
Multiplex

ps the character of Barry Allen's "mentor" in Starlabs is highly intriguing. I've been hooked. Far more than Gotham that's now on the back burner if I have spare time.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline unholyman

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 13:28 »
Yah, Gotham is definitely not as interesting as The Flash

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 17:48 »
You know why shows like Marvel Agents of Shield, Gotham etc always get bad feedback?
I think it's because people watch them half expecting superheroes to appear, and get disappointed when it's all mortals in the show.

For example Agents of Shield - probably the most exciting episode was the one where 2 female warriors from Asgard came to Earth to do battle.
Likewise Gotham, I think everyone's half-expecting Bruce to don a batsuit anytime soon.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 18:28 »
I cant comment on Agents of Shield cos I dun follow that series.

As for Gotham, IMHO those who were expecting Batman has only themselves to blame cos its obvious within the first 10 mins that Gotham is not about Batman. I mean duh! Bruce is still a child going to terms with the trauma that will turned him into one of the greatest super-hero ever.

But that doesn't mean there isn't anything not to like about the show; but it does requires one to just let go, remove any misconceptions that you may have about many of the iconic characters and just enjoy the ride. It is not and not meant to be a canonical retelling. Personally I think this is a bigger problem than expecting superheroes to turn up.