Author Topic: Synology Volume Crash  (Read 5519 times)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: Synology Volume Crash
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 11:08 »
We'll you can use one to back up another...I use some spare bays in my nas to house some spare drives as a jbod to backup my important stuff...you can also remove them when not in use - I have yet to try them in a different synology model, but when I booted up without the main volume I could access the backup and perform a restore to a new volume, which is good enough for me, just have to keep the drives in the same bays I guess so it can find them
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:09 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline MatJenin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 12:14 »
you can check the compatibility for drives on the synology site. WD will check the drive.

once again green drives are not designed for NAS use. the thing about a nas (raided or not) is that it is not a backup unless you have the data duplicated elsewhere.

I'm going to say this one more time...

A NAS IS NOT A BACKUP UNLESS YOU HAVE THE DATA DUPLICATED ELSEWHERE

+1 . Learnt this painful lesson sometimes back. Ouch!
HT: Sony VPL-VW870ES 4K Laser Projector|Denon AVR-X7200W|OS 130" widescreen (Motorised)|Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player|Popcorn Hour PCH A500 Pro Media Player|Def Tech STS Front HT Speakers with built-in Sub-woofer|Def Tech Mythos 10 Centre HT Speaker|
Def Tech UIW Front Height HT Speakers|Def Tech UIW Surround HT Speakers (In-Ceiling Mount)|Def Tech Surround Back HT Speakers (In-Ceiling Mount)|JL Audio F113 SW|Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal RC | Apple TV 4K

Offline jefferyjoel

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 14:24 »
Use a raid nas to backup a raid nas ? :-)

for the longest time imo.....nothing beats a tape backup! anyone running LTO 6?

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 16:25 »
For me I use Amazon Glacier as an off-site backup, and just configure the Glacier app to run every night.
So far so good, and cost is pretty low.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 17:20 »
for the longest time imo.....nothing beats a tape backup! anyone running LTO 6?

I support a company using lto6 with 12 bay single drive changer. Using fiber channel. Bit overkill for a home setup, plus you need a server or workstation to run it off.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline jefferyjoel

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 17:41 »

I support a company using lto6 with 12 bay single drive changer. Using fiber channel. Bit overkill for a home setup, plus you need a server or workstation to run it off.

yes/ no i wld say...10yrs ago, you hardly find home user running nas, but with the explosion of data vol these days, i have some frds with a 19" server rack in their study rm. ;) with the vulnerability of disk/flash storage even if you run raid 1/5/6/10 etc. it just takes 2+ dead bay, everything is gone....for tape is different.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 19:01 »
With disk so cheap, a second nas raid or even jbod is fine and affordable, glacier is also good, by put the restore might be more costly and a mirrored nas

Offline kingajit

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 17:16 »
To share with you my experience....I have 2 NAS the older one is DS412 and the new one one DS1813. A few months ago the DS 412 which had raid protection failed due hardware issues. It was out of warranty  so went over to MW service centre. The prices quoted were quite expensive to repair the old NAS and a lot expensive to retrieve the data!

If i wanted to change over to a new NAS then they said they will charge me! Somewhere I had read that if you have the same DSM and then if you buy a new NAS which has the same DSM then it is just a matter of swapping the disk but must be in the same sequence. I brought this to their attention and they said they will waive the swapping  charges. But if you change from Synology to say Qnap then you have to take the disk recovery route which is painfully expensive.

My usage is mainly movies and music. Now I have configured the DS1813 with zero raid ( i.e. I have no raid protection but get to use the full disk space). I have made each disk into a volume by itself   so there are 8 volumes. I did not want to have raid as its not completely reliable and you loose disk space if you want to increase reliability. Instead now I have made duplicates of all the 8 volumes. If the NAS is out of order or any one volume fails I have a backup of 8 disks and I can just pop in a new HDD and copy from my backup. Hopefully this arrangement works out.
AVR : Denon 7200 WA,
Fronts : Monitor audio GX 300
Centre : Monitor Audio  GX 350
Surrounds : Monitor Audio GX100
Back Surrounds : Monitor Audio Radius
Atmos Front & Rear : Deftec Pro 1000
Subwoofer: HSU ULS-15 MK2 and JL E112
DA & T stereo amp for Front speakers
Emotiva XPA 1 Gen 2 monoblock for Centre speaker
Marantz power amp for surrounds and back surrounds
Marantz power amp for four Atmos overhead speakers
Oppo 203 blu ray player
JVC projector x7000,
Carada screen 235:1 110 inches

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 18:07 »
Seems illogical.

I would use two NAS - with one mirroring the other. I would run one NAS with 6 drive RAID and 2 drives hot spare if I was paranoid - but I would be perfectly happy running it with 8 drive RAID with 2 drive redundancy
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline kingajit

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 10:25 »
Seems illogical.

I would use two NAS - with one mirroring the other. I would run one NAS with 6 drive RAID and 2 drives hot spare if I was paranoid - but I would be perfectly happy running it with 8 drive RAID with 2 drive redundancy

Bro DH Why Illogical? - its cost effective and simple.  I am not a technical person but an end user who has bare minimum IT knowledge . I have taken a simplistic approach based on my storage needs for music and videos which are not the same compared to a user who has data which changes constantly .

Plus i get to enjoy the various apps and the convenience of a NAS ( A hybrid NAS- DAS arrangement - higher capacity storage solution with safeguards to protect data) including remote access.

Paranoid- yes, if you are involved in ripping huge volumes of lossless / iso blu ray/ DVD  movies and CD's into various format you will be aware of the precious time taken and you would definitely need at least one reliable backup.

Say if 10 new movies get added into volume 7 then all I do is add the same into the backup HDD #7. I get to use the full capacity of my all my  HDD's  and I get to enjoy the full facilities of the NAS. I tried the RAID method and found that it is not as reliable as it made to sound.

I did consider the idea about mirroring but then I would need to spend money to buy another NAS plus the HDD's. In the current arrangement I am only buying the HDD's for backup.

In the current arrangement say if volume 7 were to fail due to HDD failure then it will be limited to that particular volume. It will be as simple as buying a new HDD and Copy/ Paste from HDD backup #7 to the new HDD volume 7. I would not have to rely on a techie to help or pay for their services.

If the existing NAS had a hardware failure and all my drives were intact then I  would  not be restricted to buy a new NAS from the same company  and it  would save me the technicians charges for transferring the data to the new NAS.

There is also time saving as I could do the data transfer( as it is simple for me to just Copy/ paste form each corresponding backup HDD onto its corresponding individual volume) on my own and not wait for the technicians who take their own sweet time to transfer the data( i was told to wait for at least 7 working days to transfer 4 x3TB HDD for my old DS412 before they could deliver the NAS and it took them another 5 working days to figure out what was wrong with the NAS)

Most welcome to any suggestions from anyone who feels that there is a better and cost effective way of managing my movies and music collection as I am just learning from my own mistakes.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:28 by kingajit »
AVR : Denon 7200 WA,
Fronts : Monitor audio GX 300
Centre : Monitor Audio  GX 350
Surrounds : Monitor Audio GX100
Back Surrounds : Monitor Audio Radius
Atmos Front & Rear : Deftec Pro 1000
Subwoofer: HSU ULS-15 MK2 and JL E112
DA & T stereo amp for Front speakers
Emotiva XPA 1 Gen 2 monoblock for Centre speaker
Marantz power amp for surrounds and back surrounds