Author Topic: Atmos Discs Discussion  (Read 127696 times)

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Atmos Discs Discussion
« Reply #540 on: July 26, 2020, 10:24 »
Did you try the DTS X: Neural upmixing when engaging the DTS-HD MSTR track?

Yep, I tried with DTS-MA Neural:X upmixing. In the Neural X upmix, those clicks are midway between heights and ear level speakers, manifesting as part of the muffled background. On the ATMOS version, those same clicks had lifelike clarity. Lifelike to the point I wanted to grab my ladder at 5am to fix the clicking on my own lights. 
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #541 on: July 26, 2020, 10:58 »
Yep, I tried with DTS-MA Neural:X upmixing. In the Neural X upmix, those clicks are midway between heights and ear level speakers, manifesting as part of the muffled background. On the ATMOS version, those same clicks had lifelike clarity. Lifelike to the point I wanted to grab my ladder at 5am to fix the clicking on my own lights. 

Wow...watching movies at 5am? That's kindda odd hours to watch a movie. What volumes are you listening at to achieve those effects? For me, I always find that for Dolby Atmos to shine, you need to listen at a certain volume level. I'm not talking about just merely increasing the dB for those height/ceiling/Dolby enabled speakers to get a good Dolby Atmos effects but an increase in the overall MV. For me, it's around -18 to -15db, anything lower, the effects are less "palpable".

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Click below URL @Bass EQ for Filtered Movies!
    • Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
« Reply #542 on: July 26, 2020, 11:02 »

One of my favorite movies with ATMOS - Oblivion
always love the rope scene and last Hunting drone shooting scenes with superb surround panning action.

Jag  Interesting.
I am planning to readjust my front heights or top front\rears speakers , Will watch out this scene thanks!
100% HT Lover  2.35:1 150' CYRUS Phantom Grey MK II 4k/UHD
BenQ W2700 4K HDR DV*Arcana 18Gbps  Source: Oppo UDP-203 & Zidoo Z1000 PRO
Cinénova Grande 5 l Denon AVR-X4400H Pre-out @7.2.4
Miller & Kreisel® S150 THX Ultra2 Monitor L\C\R ,K4BK Tripole Front Heights 
Dual Rythmik FV18s @miniDSP 2x4 HD\WI-DG *BEQ*

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Click below URL @Bass EQ for Filtered Movies!
    • Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
« Reply #543 on: July 26, 2020, 11:06 »
Wow...watching movies at 5am? That's kindda odd hours to watch a movie. What volumes are you listening at to achieve those effects? For me, I always find that for Dolby Atmos to shine, you need to listen at a certain volume level. I'm not talking about just merely increasing the dB for those height/ceiling/Dolby enabled speakers to get a good Dolby Atmos effects but an increase in the overall MV. For me, it's around -18 to -15db, anything lower, the effects are less "palpable".

same here to watch it loud and clear and always watching at MV -15 to -18 level @preferred comfort level
100% HT Lover  2.35:1 150' CYRUS Phantom Grey MK II 4k/UHD
BenQ W2700 4K HDR DV*Arcana 18Gbps  Source: Oppo UDP-203 & Zidoo Z1000 PRO
Cinénova Grande 5 l Denon AVR-X4400H Pre-out @7.2.4
Miller & Kreisel® S150 THX Ultra2 Monitor L\C\R ,K4BK Tripole Front Heights 
Dual Rythmik FV18s @miniDSP 2x4 HD\WI-DG *BEQ*

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #544 on: July 26, 2020, 12:22 »
For 2020, I'll be remissed not to include Bloodshot as one of the better Dolby Atmos mixes to date. Ypu may not like the story plot but the pristine 4K coupled with an outstanding Dolby Atmos track to boot is something you need to experience it yourself. :)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 16:13 by desray »

Online francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #545 on: July 26, 2020, 14:01 »
Personally I prefer dts hd Ma as I find it has better dynamic range and more spacious than Atmos which is a little subdue in these scenarios....YMMV!

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #546 on: July 26, 2020, 14:48 »
Personally I prefer dts hd Ma as I find it has better dynamic range and more spacious than Atmos which is a little subdue in these scenarios....YMMV!

It really depends on the soundtrack.

I find most of the Atmos mixed on Netflix exclusives have had the most bombastic Atmos implementations.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Atmos mixes on The Old Guard and Wu Assassins and 6 Underground.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #547 on: July 26, 2020, 16:20 »
It really depends on the soundtrack.

I find most of the Atmos mixed on Netflix exclusives have had the most bombastic Atmos implementations.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Atmos mixes on The Old Guard and Wu Assassins and 6 Underground.

For most Netflix titles, I always need to increase the MV to -10db or -5db in order to hear the Dolby Atmos effects compared to normal bluray or 4K UHD titles. Of course, the workaround is to engage Dynamic Volume to "Light". This will increase the dynamics which will "normalize" the soundmix.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #548 on: July 27, 2020, 13:09 »

I have the same preference. Quite recently, marathon movie between transformers and Harry Potter , atmos and dtsx, the former Is a big disappointment. ( I recall those days I used these clips to demo, in Dolby true HD) though I still love the voice of Optimus in peter Cullen

I must say the Harry Potter Sound mix is the best I have heard so far in a movie, the dtsx quality is first class , dynamic range is superb compared to the Atmos sound tracks, what a big difference.

It’s not just loudness, it’s the quality it brings to the set up, very detailed, precise, heights, bass everything is good and 1st class, the British accent, the kids are starting to talk like that now... crystal clear vocals. It’s several steps up

The best sound track of all time for me, goes to Harry Potter ! Episode 1-5, all very good, 4&5 exceptionally good

For dramas, I think games of thrones S7 s8 soundmix is very good, that is on atmos. But None of it come close to Harry Potter in dtsx

Looking forward next to marathon lord of the rings, I still prefer dtsx tracks, they are extremely good

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #549 on: July 29, 2020, 08:53 »
What I have experienced with Harry Potter dtsx is that it has a very impressive attack and fast ULF but detailed decays. Whilst I have experienced fast midbass, I have not experienced fast ulf. This translates into a very energetic sound experience with great dynamics but also great micro-dynamics. So the oomph and level of energy on the soundtrack itself is different.

When I switched to atmos on transformers, it lacked the kind of oomph type of energy. It’s just different with dtsx, so good. The entire Bourne series in dtsx is also very good, compared it to the previous dts HD Ma version, quite clearly there is a lot of improvement on the dtsx sound track

I concur with Francis experience on dts

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #550 on: August 14, 2020, 23:07 »
Not a disc, but the Netflix show Project Power had bass, surrounds as well as a pretty decent story.
One of the better shows and worth getting as a 4k disc in due course.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal