Author Topic: Emotiva XMC-1 Owners thread and news  (Read 27081 times)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: Emotiva XMC-1 Owners thread and news
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 12:00 »
aye...that it would be  :o

I am seriously considering the use of the XMC-1 in 2 setups, one is basic HT so thats a no brainer and replacing the UMC-1. I have the 40% card so done deal for at least one.

The second is as a replacement or partner to my XSP-1. As I purchased 2 XPS-1's (Phono Pre) I can probably forego the XSP-1 if the 2 channel is good enough on the XMC-1 - but I still get to use the DAC and HDMI inputs from oppo if I want 5.1 for SACD and BluRay and have phono options without adding yet another box in the other audio stages.  This I think based on the family discount I can get the 2nd unit at 25% off after 30 days...of course I would have to wait for the preorder queue to dissolve before retail sales would apply...giving me time with the first unit in the 2nd setup to see how it performs. :P

Maybe the XSP-1 will be forsale or maybe I will retire some other old gear in the bedroom (small vintage Yamaha) for a XSP-1/2 x UPA-1 combo...just have to figure out a sleep timer using the 12V trigger in  8)
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 00:38 »
Hi all,
Before the forum goes on overdrive about HDMI 2.0, I'd like to take a moment to clarify our position on the HDMI specifications for the XMC-1.

When we changed to the new high performance, 4k compatable ADV7625 HDMI mux's, we believed that we could legitimately claim HDMI 2.0 capability. However, after carefully reviewing the final specifications of the parts, and just as importantly deciphering what can and can not legitimately be called HDMI 2.0, we believe it is technically correct and responsible to state that the XMC-1 is HDMI v1.4b compliant. Certain aspects of its performance could allow us to claim 2.0 compliance, but we felt it would be misleading, as we do not fully support all 2.0 operating states and bandwidths. Being "2.0 ready" was not adequate.

Now, having said this, it does mean that the XMC-1 is capable of supporting current 4k and 3D content. It's 3GHz video bandwidth is more than adequate and is quite solid.

Please understand that Ultra HD, or 4k or whatever you want to call it today is in a state of development and flux. There are going to be many, many disappointed early adopters of "4k". Also, there are so many performance levels and technical options related to 4k video and audio over HDMI 2.0, it's hard to know what will end up being adopted as the winning, marketable, and final version of the 4k display and source component wars. What I do know for a fact, it that 4k video delivery is not locked down to any one, well defined standard. Until that day, it's buyer beware.

The great thing about the XMC-1 is that its design and architecture are completely modular. If and when it becomes necessary to support the next generation of 4k hardware and source components we'll be ready to take you to the next level, easily and affordably. In the meantime you're set to go with the latest and greatest real world solution.
Cheers,
Big Dan

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 00:50 »
Rethink high end?  :)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNeKmHKJdl8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pNeKmHKJdl8&fs=1</a>

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 12:06 »
Been a while since anything posted here...I know of a few ppl with XMC-1's here.

I am about to take ownership of my second unit.

Any others here with XMC-1's?

do note the XMC-1 will be going up in price to US$2499 on 1st May so if you want to get at the US$1999 price then now is the time to make your move

If you are an original owner of any of the Emotiva HT processors you eligible for 25% off as part of the Upgrade For Life (UFL) program.

If you want to order under the UFL program the price inclusive of USP shipping ~US$1660 via paypal order. email sales@emotiva.com Its while stock lasts at this price.

Update GST is ~S$155
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 17:45 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline louco73

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Louco73's Place on the Internet
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 19:46 »
Friendly warning to other owners, do not upgrade to firmware 3.0 yet. Too many issues.
http://www.louco73.com to see some of my home theatre and hi-fi journey.

Offline wizardofoz

Offline tane0019

• 3rd Rock from the SUN - Middle Earth
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 11:55 »
So XMC pre/DAC in direct stereo mode can beat XSP/DC1 combo and all that without even running the DRC.

Even if he had calibrate the system, but in Direct stereo mode, thought the DRC usually get by-pass as well, right ?

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 12:08 »
yes I think so re the Direct and Dirac...not run dirac in my 2 setups as yet but still very happy so far too. be doing more setup work on the weekend I hope.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:10 by wizardofoz »

Offline tane0019

• 3rd Rock from the SUN - Middle Earth
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 12:10 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhoH3mBCUqY#t=689&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fhoH3mBCUqY#t=689&fs=1</a>

Seem like the DRC coming default with XMC (ie DIRAC LE) only perform measurement + correction below 200Hz (the video at the very end). 

Offline wizardofoz

Offline Gondon72

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 20:28 »
How do we even turned off the XMC-1?  When it is in standby mode and turned off by switching the back switch?  But it is like turning off a pc that is in standby mode that is not totally shutdown since it is running linux system behind.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 23:19 »
There is an off with full shutdown that takes about a minute to boot up,and a standby mode that wakes up instantly. You can set the options under advanced prefs iirc

Offline Gondon72

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 15:02 »
There is an off with full shutdown that takes about a minute to boot up,and a standby mode that wakes up instantly. You can set the options under advanced prefs iirc

I see . will explore this weekend as the item is still wrapped in the box. :D

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 15:52 »
DOH (_8^() RTFM  8)

Offline Gondon72

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 19:56 »
DOH (_8^() RTFM  8)

lol. read the online manual before but never notice it