Author Topic: New Age Music / Movie Soundtrack....Recommendations & Comments  (Read 81314 times)

Offline hotbird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
Re:New Age Music / Movie Soundtrack....Recommendations & Comments
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2003, 23:17 »
Hotbird:
Can U recommend some of Andrea Vollenweidner's albums?  I saw a 2-disc concert disc at Gramophone (capitol building), is that worthy of a buy in terms of content and recording?

For individual albums, there are 2 very worthwhile CDs for collecting, namely Caverna Magica (1984)

and Down To the Moon (Grammy Award winner 1986)

The 1st track of Caverna Magica will have you sonically enthralled as you hear tiny footsteps stepping through the garden and entering into a cavern stairs, echoing as it goes, growing louder and louder until it burst into a rhythm of music belonging to another fantasy realm. If Lord of the Rings were made some 20 years ago, this could have been a soundtrack for it  ;D. Caverna Magica was an audiophile masterpiece in its day and still remains till this day.

Down To the Moon won the Grammy Award in 1986 and it's easy to hear why, all the tracks are seamless as it flows from one to another, which is kind of an Andreas Vollenweider trademark, in that most of his CDs has no kind of visible pause between tracks, the ending echoes of a previous track will suddenly lead into the enchanting opening chords of the next one. Also Andreas is kind of like a one man orchestra as he can play many other instruments besides the harp, and he also modified his electic harp to have a kind of signature Vollenweider kind of voice that will differentiate his music from the rest of the other harpists.

If you just want to own a collection, then the 2 disc collection called Trilogy is the one to own.

It contains the best selection from 3 full CDs(Caverna Magica,White Winds, Down to the Moon) and a extended single Pace Verde.

I also recommend the 2CD live concert CD called "Live 1982-1994 With Friends"

The rearrangements of the songs in the live concerts are very good and the recording is also excellent.
Incidentally Vollenweider also participated in the soundtrack to the latest Bruce Willis movie Tears of the Sun (soon to be on my station)  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 23:18 by hotbird »
Listen to ~MOVIOLA~Movie themes, and ILLUMINATIONS~Relaxation

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2003, 23:47 »
I actually came across Enya's music from a Steve Martin movie "LA Story". I fell in love with her music then and  went to look for her albums the next day.

Anyone here a fan of Adiemus ? No idea what they are singing about but I find their music strangely uplifting. Here's something for Farscape fans - A farscape video to the theme of Adiemus , very nice. Serve as something nice for farscape fans & a introduction to adiemus music. :)

http://www.birgitsvids.com/rm/adiemus.zip

If you like a mixture of Adiemus and Enya and ambient, try this Vangelis album, Voices (this is the only Vangelis CD that sounds like this unfortunately, as Vangelis is a composer extraodinaire who likes to break new grounds, seldom repeating his previous CD theme)

Samples at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002J7U/qid=1051111343/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/104-5928872-5108720?v=glance&s=music

Think everyone knows Enya's family choir called Clannad, but few may have heard of her equally vocally-blessed big sister Maire Brennan, my favourite CD being
Maire

Samples at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002IU8/qid=1051111912/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-5928872-5108720?v=glance&s=music

Incidentally Enya and Maire Brennan belong to a special category of ethereal female voices more commonly classified under Celtic New Age. Here's other fantastic Celtic female vocals to die for such as
1.  Loreena Mckennit (her voice graces movie soundtracks as often as Enya incidentally)
2.  Connie Dover (sweetest tenderest Celtic female voice you ever heard)
3.  Capercaillie (a Celtic group, but fronted by the powerful female lead vocals of Karen Matheson)
4.  Emmer Kenny (Enya crossed with Hilary Stagg  ;D)

With regards to Adiemus, I would say its success is due to combination of Karl Jenkins (composer) and female vocal extraordinaire Mariam Stockley. If you really want to follow up with Adiemus, don't miss Mariam Stockley solo debut on Narada label just called "Mariam".

Samples at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000K4G6/qid=1051111298/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-5928872-5108720?v=glance&s=music
She just released another delightful album called "Second Nature" just last month.
And this leads us to another wonderful female vocalist, not Celtic, but Norwegian called "Sissel" who one may term as the Enya of Norway  ;D

Too tired to rave anymore but you can read her accolades at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005HXVH/ref=pd_sim_music_3/104-5928872-5108720?v=glance&s=music
« Last Edit: April 24, 2003, 00:05 by hotbird »

Offline marshal99

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2003, 10:59 »
Thanks for the recommendation , will try Mariam Stockley next time, she has a clear soothing voice . That sample of her song Avcadia sounds like it is from a disney cartoon movie.
Might give sissel & secret garden a try as well.

I have heard Vangelis on several compliation of new age music cds that i have. I also have some of Loreena McKennit's albums. :)

Offline Mackie

• If music was the food of life, play it!
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2003, 12:59 »
Thanks hotbird, I will seek out those Andrea Vollenweidner's discs U've recommended.

Jerry

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2003, 13:42 »
Thanks for the recommendation , will try Mariam Stockley next time, she has a clear soothing voice . That sample of her song Avcadia sounds like it is from a disney cartoon movie.
Might give sissel & secret garden a try as well.

I have heard Vangelis on several compliation of new age music cds that i have. I also have some of Loreena McKennit's albums. :)

I'm a Loreena McKennit fan too!  ;D

Jerry

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2003, 19:04 »
On New Age, here're my personal favourites:

1.Kevin Kern

2. Chris Spheeris

3. Hilary Stagg

4. Suzanne Ciani

Just to name a few.   ;)

#1, 2 and 4 are classic New Age albums. Simply must-have for fans! Not too sure about Hilary Stagg although I have his compositions in some compilations. And quite paiseh, I always tot Hilary Stagg is a woman.  :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2003, 19:05 by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2003, 21:05 »

Wow! No wonder the score won the Oscar. Great work from Elliot Goldenthal. Now, I'm listening to the track "Burn It Blue" again and again.....

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2003, 12:05 »

Wow! No wonder the score won the Oscar. Great work from Elliot Goldenthal. Now, I'm listening to the track "Burn It Blue" again and again.....

Remember the little brouhaha over my dissing of Philip Glass's Hours (whom I 've still not heard) for other better soundtracks such as Elliot Goldenthal's Frida, some time way before the nominations. Anyway Frida's been playing on my radio station since early Jan, so do tune in  ;D
For the rest of last year's better soundtracks check out the old thread here.
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=7729;start=msg81681#msg81681

Jerry

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2003, 13:28 »
Remember the little brouhaha over my dissing of Philip Glass's Hours (whom I 've still not heard) for other better soundtracks such as Elliot Goldenthal's Frida, some time way before the nominations. Anyway Frida's been playing on my radio station since early Jan, so do tune in  ;D
For the rest of last year's better soundtracks check out the old thread here.
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=7729;start=msg81681#msg81681

I was just commenting over the merit of the Frida score alone, not over the merits of the other nominated scores. Philip Glass composed a fantastic score for The Hours which is almost integral to the plot of the movie. Don't think the movie would have worked so well without its score which brought out the many layers of contradicting emotions. Think many who have heard the score would agree. Even though u are free to give your opinions, u shouldn't be dissing Philip Glass' work here just becoz u don't like his previous  compositions. Let's be fair, u haven't even heard the score so what is there for you to talk about?

Hope u don't have to keep bringing back past debates on our difference music tastes coz like u've said before, we are all entitled to our own liking. What ticks for u may not tick for me. But I really hope that u acting as a music lover with your own radio station could be more objective in your comments rather than to condemn an artiste or album straight away before giving them a fair trial. If u still dun like it after listening to it, so be it. No hard feelings. Hope we can make peace and enjoy the music since music can soothe our souls and not provoke them. If there are further disagreements, hope we can settle this privately through IM. Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 20:02 by Jerry »

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2003, 22:02 »
No problem...btw there's a 20% off all soundtracks till Mother's Day at Borders now.

Offline alixker

I always suspected there was a supernatural dimension to his music. Maybe his death was a spiritual consequence?
Only have one of Hilary Stagg's album, Feather Light, as I preferred a few other harpists over him such as Andrea Vollenweidner (who incidentally is listed in one of Stagg's CD as his primary musical inspiration), Roberto Perera, Micheal Deep and Vincenzo Zitello. Incidentally Hilary Stagg passed away suddenly in 1999 after a short illness at a rather young age of 42.
"Hilary Stagg was an electrician, when in his mid-twenties he attended an Andreas Vollenweider concert. He was enthralled and so inspired that he purchased a small harp. It was a delightful challenge for him to use his knowledge as an electrician in amplifying the instrument and his custom amplification was superb. He tried formal lessons but quickly decided he would learn to play the harp a different way. Hilary believed in and practiced lucid dreaming and developed a way of dancing with the Muse in his dreams, a way of exploring and composing music in his "sleep" that became the core of his compositions. As he experimented, Hilary developed a gentle, yet powerful, melodic style that gave new meaning to soothing and relaxing music".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 01:21 by alixker »

Offline alixker

Oh, by the way, you guys may want to dig out some old stuffs and check them out? Like say Clannad?

Jerry

Oh, by the way, you guys may want to dig out some old stuffs and check them out? Like say Clannad?

I only have this album of hers....

Offline bobafett81

• NTU
is the X-Men 2 OST available in Singapore? Couldn't find it yet...

Merry Christmas To All
On XtremePlace.com!

Jerry

is the X-Men 2 OST available in Singapore? Couldn't find it yet...

I'm sure u can find it in HMV or Borders but it will be overpriced. Better wait a little while. Actually, I'm more eager to get Matrix Reloaded OST.