Author Topic: Audyssey Calibration - Tips in getting the best out of it...  (Read 71864 times)

Offline chaozhoi

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audyssey Calibration - Tips in getting the best out of it...
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 23:11 »
Again there is nothing wrong...DSX processing can also apply to Height speakers as well in case you are not aware.

will be ordering some small and cheapo speakers from taobao to try out front wide configurations and up my current 5.1+heights to 5.1+heights+wide. Perhaps adding the wides will yield different results.

BTW, any particular favourite demo scenes you guys use to compare between PLIIz, DSX and NeoX? Something good that brings out the heights and wide effects to recommend?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 07:36 »
will be ordering some small and cheapo speakers from taobao to try out front wide configurations and up my current 5.1+heights to 5.1+heights+wide. Perhaps adding the wides will yield different results.

BTW, any particular favourite demo scenes you guys use to compare between PLIIz, DSX and NeoX? Something good that brings out the heights and wide effects to recommend?

The Ratatouille scene where there is rainfall and thunder claps...its in one of my demo discs.
And of course anything with planes flyby etc...

Offline whyeme

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 09:44 »
Planes 2013 has good planes fly by sound steering.
Hall: Philips 65PFA4350/98. Wyred 4 Sound mAMP mono blocks. Emotiva UMC-200/UPA-500. Oppo BDT-101CI. SB Acoustics ARA Matt White. Dynaudio Contour SCX Gloss Black. Dynaudio Audience 42. Orisun DD+12. Velodyne SPL 1000 Ultra. DSPeaker Antimode 8033 S. Belden Studio 814. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155.

Bedroom: Plinius 2100i. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1. iFi Micro iDSD. IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155. Belden Studio 814.

Headfi: Phonak Audeo PFE012 Grey Filters. TFZ King Pro. Penon Audio OS849. ZTE Axon 7.

Offline whitesox

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 09:37 »
Ok...in that case, keep it at the position. There is actually nothing wrong with your subwoofer...there are a myriad of issues concerning the electronic delay inside the subwoofer. If Audyssey thinks that is the value, then stick with it. At -6.5db, for me is considered quite high as I never have such a negative figure before - at least not for my SVS PC12Plus.

From the way I see it, your subwoofer might be too close to the walls or did you place it at the corner of the walls? If this is really the case, you have unwittingly accentuate what we called Boundary Gain...this will register a loud and boomy bass which may lead to a high negative trim values of -6.5 or even higher.

Appreciate for your advise. Thank you  :)
Hmmm.... you are really expert in this subw setting bro that's why your guessing is right.
Yes... I placed it too close to the walls partly because my HT room is not big enough.

As we know, usually we can increse gain/vol for center speaker or surr channels in AVR speaker setting.
so I wonder who is controling who in subw loudness between knob gain (subw) and values in AVR speaker setting?

Examples:
... After calibration ...
AVR value for subw: -6.5db
knob subw pointing at 10 O clock

What will be different (effects) between these two scenarios?

Scenario 1:
AVR value for subw: -6.5db  --> - 2.5 db
knob subw pointing at 10 O clock --> 8 O'clock

Scenario 2:
AVR value for subw: -6.5db  --> - 8.5 db
knob subw pointing at 10 O clock --> 12 O'clock

Hear your opinions soon

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:41 by whitesox »

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 11:25 »
Can your scenarios be applied to stereo setup? e.g.

Scenario 1:
Preamp knob 9 o'clock  to power amp knob 3 o'clock (for power amps with gain knobs)

Scenario 2:
Preamp knob 11 o'clock to power amp knob 12 o'clock given that they are the same volume using measure with a meter.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 11:48 »
Appreciate for your advise. Thank you  :)
Hmmm.... you are really expert in this subw setting bro that's why your guessing is right.
Yes... I placed it too close to the walls partly because my HT room is not big enough.

As we know, usually we can increse gain/vol for center speaker or surr channels in AVR speaker setting.
so I wonder who is controling who in subw loudness between knob gain (subw) and values in AVR speaker setting?

Examples:
... After calibration ...
AVR value for subw: -6.5db
knob subw pointing at 10 O clock

What will be different (effects) between these two scenarios?

Scenario 1:
AVR value for subw: -6.5db  --> - 2.5 db
knob subw pointing at 10 O clock --> 8 O'clock

Scenario 2:
AVR value for subw: -6.5db  --> - 8.5 db
knob subw pointing at 10 O clock --> 12 O'clock

Hear your opinions soon

Its not about whether the loudness can or should be controlled by either the subwoofer gain knob OR the AVR trim settings...its ALL ABOUT ACHIEVING A UNIFORM sound pressure level (SPL) across the speaker array - i.e. 5.1/7.1 or even 7.2/9.2 if you have dual subwoofer. The physical gain knob on the subwoofer provides you with a means to increase or decrease the SPL level to match the required decibel PRIOR to the calibration process...Once you achieve that, you can literally leave the gain knob alone.

During the calibration process, the trim values will change due to the changes in the electronic delay in the signals of your subwoofer and the correction filter apply at certain range of frequencies. That is why it is important to get the subwoofer's SPL right so that the variation, if any will not be that great. Any vast or minor variation in the trim values is the direct result of the Audyssey calibration "interacting" with the room mode you have. In short, there is NO DIFFERENCE between the two scenarios you just described above...As a rule of thumb, it is prudent for the trim values in the post calibration to hover between the band of +/-3db.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:50 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 11:53 »
Can your scenarios be applied to stereo setup? e.g.

Scenario 1:
Preamp knob 9 o'clock  to power amp knob 3 o'clock (for power amps with gain knobs)

Scenario 2:
Preamp knob 11 o'clock to power amp knob 12 o'clock given that they are the same volume using measure with a meter.

I dun think Audyssey calibration will yield any DRAMATIC effect on 2-channel setup IMO. FWIW, using your ear as a yard stick to pair your speakers with a subwoofer will be a better choice. If you are a purist, you will want to have a separate subwoofer for your stereo setup instead of using the same subwoofer...if you want a more finesse control over it.

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 17:24 »
My problem for the auto calibration will be my bass shaker. I am using a Y- splitter for my sub and bass shaker. So the normal calibration will usually result in about -8.5db for LFE. So I will have to increase the LFE from my receiver and turn down the knob on my sub to allow more gain for the bass shaker. As for the loudness and overall LFE feel, that is agar agar from my feeling and ears le.

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 17:28 »
will using a SPL meter in my case help to balance up all the adjustments made after calibration?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 17:58 »
My problem for the auto calibration will be my bass shaker. I am using a Y- splitter for my sub and bass shaker. So the normal calibration will usually result in about -8.5db for LFE. So I will have to increase the LFE from my receiver and turn down the knob on my sub to allow more gain for the bass shaker. As for the loudness and overall LFE feel, that is agar agar from my feeling and ears le.

I too,  am u using a bass shaker. What you did was incorrect.  You should connect the bass shaker signal to a separate stereo amp that allows you to arbitrary adjust the gain of the shiok-ness for your bass shaker. I am also using a Y - splitter to split the LFE signal.

Sent from Sony Xperia Z Ultra using Tapatalk

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 18:43 »
Yeah, I'm doing that. But apparently my stereo amp seems too weak to 'shake' them at -8.5db even with maxed out volume knob. What stereo amp are you using for the shakers? Do you use any crossovers to cut off those higher frequencies for the shakers? I think my stereo amp is only 20w/chan.. but i can spare out an output from my power amp though

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 23:09 »
Yeah, I'm doing that. But apparently my stereo amp seems too weak to 'shake' them at -8.5db even with maxed out volume knob. What stereo amp are you using for the shakers? Do you use any crossovers to cut off those higher frequencies for the shakers? I think my stereo amp is only 20w/chan.. but i can spare out an output from my power amp though

I'm using a Tangent stereo preamplifier AMP-200 to power up the bass shakers...

More than enough juice to spruce up the shakes...

Offline whitesox

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2013, 08:47 »
I too,  am u using a bass shaker. What you did was incorrect.  You should connect the bass shaker signal to a separate stereo amp that allows you to arbitrary adjust the gain of the shiok-ness for your bass shaker. I am also using a Y - splitter to split the LFE signal.

What is bass shaker and where can I buy it?
If I want to add in bass shaker but I don't use (don't have) separate amp so can I use Y-adaptor?

Where and how to put this bass shaker? I wonder whether it will make my room boomy or too "bassy"?
Sorry to ask so many questions coz I am excited to know more....  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:50 by whitesox »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Here's a link on tes100s
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2013, 08:51 »
What is bass shaker and where can I buy it?
If I want to add in bass shaker but I don't use (don't have) separate amp so can I use Y-adaptor?

Where and how to put this bass shaker?
Sorry to ask so many questions coz I am excited to know more....  ;D

Do a search in this forum for info. Type in words like 'aura bass shakers' or 'tactile transducers'... Or just' bass shakers' for more info.

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=38356.0

Check this out....

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:54 by desray »

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47 »
it's simply a vibrator to your chair/bed/sofa or anything u sit on