Author Topic: Audyssey Calibration - Tips in getting the best out of it...  (Read 71865 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Audyssey Calibration - Tips in getting the best out of it...
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 07:37 »
Another interesting note to share, if you are using Audyssey calibration, then you SHOULD CONSIDER using Audyssey DSX for your movies...it will make optimize your listening experience by using Audyssey proprietary DSP...make sense? Of course, if you prefer to use Straight decoding to get DTS-HS MSTR or Dolby TrueHD, I see no problem with that as well...but I preferred Audyssey DSX for movie watching experience. try it if you haven't done so already.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 07:53 »
Thanks..These tips are very helpful..

Pls advise on the following also:

1. How to calibrate Two subwoofers connected from a single preout of AVR using Y connector?  Switch both subs ON?
2. When to use the antimode (if in use) to calibrate the Subs? Before audyssey calibration or after that ?
3. If the subs are of THX type, how to set the subs prior to calibrate.? THX mode?

Thanks
San

Hi Santosh, it all boils down to what make, model (year of manufacture) and the version of your Audyssey program in your AVR. If you have a dual subwoofer setup, the first thing Audyssey will do is to calibrate the subwoofer to get 75db level before commencing the calibration. I DO NOT own two subwoofers as it is a rather tricky concept to apply...but the benefits will be enormous if properly tuned in as it will yield a smoother bass response and increase the headroom as opposed to one subwoofer setup.

As for the Anti Mode 8033 DSP, I will suggest you run the Anti mode DSP first then proceed to run the Audyssey calibration. During the calibration, you should leave it "on". This will help to ensure that the correction filters by the Audyssey will be applied uniformly across the board.

If the subwoofer is THX type, then set it to THX AFTER the calibration as I mentioned in the previous posts.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 07:56 »
Thanks bro for this valueable tips.

Example:
After calibration completed for subwoofer.
Knob pointing at 9 O'clock
AVR setting : -6.5

I feel my subw is not strong enough to create boom boom bass.

Question:
Do I need to turn my subw knob to 11 O clock or increase AVR setting at 3db higher (-3.5db) ?
Which one would you recommend?

Seeking your opinion bro !  ???

At -6.5db...the Audyssey thinks that your subwoofer is running very "hot" - too high in gain...BUT when I look at your gain knob on the subwoofer, it says 9 o'clock?! That's too low IMO...something is not right here...you should re-run the calibration process one more time if I were you.

And are you using MultEQ XT/XT32? or Multi 2EQ? The latter is the basic Audyssey program with no correction filters apply...

Offline rhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 11:28 »
Hi rhead, I am not surprised that you are having this center channel "too-soft" issue...as many home theater enthusiasts have experienced it at some point in time after the calibration. For me, there is NEVER AN ISSUE with the center dialogue. And nope, I did not engage in any Dynamic Volume as it will not yield good results...trust me, I have personally use it one time and abhor it! And you should not use that as far as possible.

For your problem, there are a few things you can try...but before that need to ask you a few questions:

Q1) Are the front left and right speakers the SAME MAKE as your center speaker?

Q2) How did you position your center speaker?

Q3) Did you do a "reference test" using either a SPL meter to measure and ensure that the pink noise (test tone) emanated from the AVR is about the same sound level? Do the "level" (or volume) sound uniform whilst cycling between the front left/right and center speakers?

Recall that I mentioned about bringing your speakers at ear-level? This is ESPECIALLY important for the LCR. For the surrounds and surround backs, the concept at ear level need not be followed as after all, there are meant for "surround effects"...for the most part, the main SOUNDSTAGE lies with the LCR (Front left/right and Center speaker). So if you center speaker is placed too low - say at your chest level, try to use something to elevate the angle to point towards you. If you pay close attention, almost all home theater setup have one or two common things or should I say "sight"...the center speaker is ALWAYS NOT AT THE IDEAL HEIGHT owing to the big TV/Projector screen...nobody want the center speaker to "block" the view, I get it. But that is a compromise here..So you can try out the following:

Solution 1: Elevate the center speaker to point at you.

Solution 2: Move your seating position further away from the screen, so that the center speaker points at you directly. And yes, you have to re-run the calibration again.

Solution 3: If moving your seating position is not possible due to space constraints, perhaps you can consider "elevating" the screen or your TV higher so that you can bring up the center speaker to ear-level. I know you neck is going to be strained...then adjust your recliner chair to a height where you can just lay-back at a comfortable angle. If you dun have a recliner chair, then you should consider getting one.

By the way, it is okay to increase the center speaker volume by a few dbs hotter than the rest. Remember getting the LCR right is crucial in a typical 5.1/7.1 setup. Next comes the subwoofer. With these two things solved...I guarantee you will get the best home cinematic experience of your life time.

Hi Desray,
To answer some of the questions.
1. Yes they are from the same make. Monitor Audio Silver 6.
2. They are facing me jus that they are slightly lower.
3. Have not done that. I will need to go grab 1 SPL Meter.!  :-\

For your solution, will give no 1 a try seems tat is the only feasible one for me..
 ;D ;D

Thanks Desray..!! very helpful..

Offline rhead

• Snr Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 11:30 »
That is another problem for Audy , remember most if not all , your center speaker just infront of a Big pic of glass .
not apply to all AVR. if you do auto let the Audy set it for you , after that you can try to change to your likin as after the auto, you are not changing any curve or freq eq but only the roll off that yr speaker may respone better as inside most speaker have a Xover and a roll off slope and a lot of time this mis-match cause some issue to match up with the sub and you could get a thin sounding voice or overly warm .

Thanks Peng. Thats what i did.!anyway the KK 808 is awesome. kicking ass in my home now.. hahahaha

Offline mutant

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 12:24 »
I have played with 2 versions of Auddysey. The MultiEQ & XT32 version.

For both, I prefer Music (flat) curve. and for Movies I turn on Dynamic Volume to Light & for concerts I turn off.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 12:41 »
Great... Everyone can chip in your own Audyssey experience and share it with everyone. We can go on and on about theories... I will rather see results and first hand experience. Keep it coming.

Sent from Sony Xperia Z Ultra using Tapatalk

Offline etnt

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 13:08 »
USE THE PC BASE version
You mean Audyssey Pro?

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 14:16 »
Hi,

Great summary and steps!

I find that with Audyssey DSX on, the whole setup becomes very front-heavy.

I also found that by measuring at spots with just a little variations even though it's only one seating makes a difference.

Another interesting note to share, if you are using Audyssey calibration, then you SHOULD CONSIDER using Audyssey DSX for your movies...it will make optimize your listening experience by using Audyssey proprietary DSP...make sense? Of course, if you prefer to use Straight decoding to get DTS-HS MSTR or Dolby TrueHD, I see no problem with that as well...but I preferred Audyssey DSX for movie watching experience. try it if you haven't done so already.

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 14:35 »
Personally prefer Neo X over DSX for movies but it might be because I only have front heights and not front wide speakers. I will off it for concert though.

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 16:33 »
At -6.5db...the Audyssey thinks that your subwoofer is running very "hot" - too high in gain...BUT when I look at your gain knob on the subwoofer, it says 9 o'clock?! That's too low IMO...something is not right here...you should re-run the calibration process one more time if I were you.

It was pointing at 10.30 previously, result for AVR reading was -13db.
I read from web said if result more then -10db means my subw is too loud than must turn it lower and re-do again that's why I recal again.

Reduced gain at my subw, pointing to 9 O'clock than get -6.5db
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:44 by whitesox »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 18:37 »
It was pointing at 10.30 previously, result for AVR reading was -13db.
I read from web said if result more than -10db means my subw is too loud than must turn it lower and re-do again that's why I recal again.

Reduced gain at my subw, pointing to 9 O'clock than get -6.5db

Ok...in that case, keep it at the position. There is actually nothing wrong with your subwoofer...there are a myriad of issues concerning the electronic delay inside the subwoofer. If Audyssey thinks that is the value, then stick with it. At -6.5db, for me is considered quite high as I never have such a negative figure before - at least not for my SVS PC12Plus.

From the way I see it, your subwoofer might be too close to the walls or did you place it at the corner of the walls? If this is really the case, you have unwittingly accentuate what we called Boundary Gain...this will register a loud and boomy bass which may lead to a high negative trim values of -6.5 or even higher.

If you AVR has Boundary Gain Compensation (BGC) control, activate it and re-do the calibration and see if it helps. Alternatively you could move the subwoofer a few inches away from the side walls or even relocate the subwoofer to 1/3 of the length of the side wall where you placed the subwoofer. You will be amazed by the "result" just by moving the subwoofer a litte.

If you wanna seek some "adventure", you could try the bass crawl method. It does work as I have try it on my friend's house before.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 18:52 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 18:38 »
Personally prefer Neo X over DSX for movies but it might be because I only have front heights and not front wide speakers. I will off it for concert though.

Again there is nothing wrong...DSX processing can also apply to Height speakers as well in case you are not aware.

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 19:42 »
No matter how good the auto calibration is, it is still machine only, so remember to do a sound compare of the  auto calibrated end result vs EQ bypass / manually measure distance to speaker...

I never able to get the surround effect right in a few customer place using those auto calibration thing built in AVR,  end up often manually calibrate give better sound and effect .... Maybe those customer do not know how to do the calibration correctly...

....actually use ear to do final adjustment of all speaker SPL setting is quite easy after you got the reference SPL of all speaker from the auto calibration , base on my personal limited experience on the a few customer HT system...

:)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 19:44 by joamonte »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 19:47 »
No matter how good the auto calibration is, it is still machine only, so remember to do a sound compare of the  auto calibrated end result vs EQ bypass / manually measure distance to speaker...

I never able to get the surround effect right in a few customer place using those auto calibration thing built in AVR,  end up often manually calibrate give better sound and effect .... Maybe those customer do not know how to do the calibration correctly...

....actually use ear to do final adjustment of all speaker SPL setting is quite easy after you got the reference SPL of all speaker from the auto calibration , base on my personal limited experience on the a few customer HT system...

:)

Agreed! :)