Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 150110 times)

Offline composition

• Trade Count: (+5)
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 00:25 »
Using my JRemote app for JRiver Media Centre, I had tagged my files with Ratings ranging from 1 star to 5 stars. Now with the Lumin app, all my stars that I have painfully tagged over the years are no longer visible.  >:(

IMHO the Lumin app pales in comparison to the JRemote app. The JRemote app is so much more user friendly! the Lumin app has a long way to go.

I miss my JRemote.  :'( Who knows I may go back to JRiver PC+DAC route, and dump the Lumin. My highly customised PC+DAC is so much more powerful and user friendly. MinimServer really sucks in user friendliness. SQ wise my PC+DAC combo does not lose out to the Lumin neither.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 00:29 by composition »

Offline Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2013, 01:02 »
Using my JRemote app for JRiver Media Centre, I had tagged my files with Ratings ranging from 1 star to 5 stars. Now with the Lumin app, all my stars that I have painfully tagged over the years are no longer visible.  >:(

IMHO the Lumin app pales in comparison to the JRemote app. The JRemote app is so much more user friendly! the Lumin app has a long way to go.

I miss my JRemote.  :'( Who knows I may go back to JRiver PC+DAC route, and dump the Lumin. My highly customised PC+DAC is so much more powerful and user friendly. MinimServer really sucks in user friendliness. SQ wise my PC+DAC combo does not lose out to the Lumin neither.

Hello my friend,

I thought I told everyone I am using Jriver to play on the Lumin...and I never touch the Lumin app now.  I use Jremote to control, yes, no why you think I can play this SACD on Lumin?

(Audio)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:05 by Audio »

Offline composition

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2013, 07:16 »
Sorry this is something that I missed out. I don't understand the setup with JRiver & Lumin.

So it means that you need a PC with JRiver running with all the music files and connected to the same network as Lumin, and JRiver will be able to locate Lumin?

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2013, 08:49 »
Sorry this is something that I missed out. I don't understand the setup with JRiver & Lumin.

So it means that you need a PC with JRiver running with all the music files and connected to the same network as Lumin, and JRiver will be able to locate Lumin?

Yes, you continue to run JRiver on your current PC.  Then select DoPe on your Jriver.  I forgot how you do this but it could be:-

Media Network > add or configure DLNA Servers > Advanced > Bit Stream DSD (requires DoPE Compliant Renderer)

I will go home tonight to confirm.

Once DOPE is enable , your Lumin selection will appear on your upper lefthand column.  Select it and your JRiver will be streaming to your Lumin.  You can control playback in 3 ways:-

(1) Select track on the PC running JRiver.
(2) Select track using JRemote.
(3) Select track using Lumin App.

(Audio)

Offline composition

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25 »
Thanks Audio, much appreciated. I will try when I get back home tonight.

LOL I could have saved all those effort in loading Java 7, MinimServer into the NAS, and those long hours of transferring tons of albums into the NAS.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 10:58 »
Thanks Audio, much appreciated. I will try when I get back home tonight.

LOL I could have saved all those effort in loading Java 7, MinimServer into the NAS, and those long hours of transferring tons of albums into the NAS.

Yes, me too.  I took 2 days to load Minimserver.....but I don't care now, I use JRiver on my CAPS Zuma now.

When you are listening to your Lumin, do go to look into the many pages of the Lumin thread in Computer Audiophile....lots of info there.  Unfortunately,  only you and me talkking about Lumin here in XP only.

(Audio)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 19:53 »
For you only :)

Select Options

Add or Configure DLNA server

Advanced

There is your DoPE selection!!

Your Lumin Player will appear...

ENJOY!!

(Audio)

Offline composition

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2013, 21:01 »
Oh yes got it. Yeah I got back JRemote to control the Lumin. Hurray!!

Thanks Audio.

Offline wstam

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2013, 23:25 »
Interesting. I have never used a CAPS music server + DAC system. In this case, as it's not feeding a DAC via USB, is it still critical to have a highly customised PC to run JRiver? Can I just use a normal decent power PC for it?

Do you store all the music in the hard disk in the CAPS server? Interested in giving the JRiver/JRemote a try.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2013, 00:57 »
Well, I suspect if we use a Gigabit Ethernet line, it has a better throughput than a USB.2.0.

I am now using a Seagate 1TB mobile backup drive and it is connected to the CAPS Zuma via the USB 3.0 socket.  I suppose I would have to put in some high capacity SSDs into my Zuma soon.  Whatever it is, I want to maintain a motorless environment for my PC.

(Audio)

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2013, 09:58 »
Based on my experience, the CAPS server should make a difference. It should also be fed a good power cord.

If the CAPS is well optimised, another thing maybe you guys can try, is to make the CAPS Server have its own network card and connect directly to the Lumin (i.e. without router). I found this sounded better when I did streaming between two devices, than through a router. The CAPS Server may then connect to the rest of the network via wifi if necessary (for iPad).

The experiment costs nothing if you have both wifi and LAN on your motherboard.. otherwise a $20 TPlink card will do.

If you must go through a router, there are other things to try.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:04 by Quest »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2013, 11:37 »
Based on my experience, the CAPS server should make a difference. It should also be fed a good power cord.

If the CAPS is well optimised, another thing maybe you guys can try, is to make the CAPS Server have its own network card and connect directly to the Lumin (i.e. without router). I found this sounded better when I did streaming between two devices, than through a router. The CAPS Server may then connect to the rest of the network via wifi if necessary (for iPad).

The experiment costs nothing if you have both wifi and LAN on your motherboard.. otherwise a $20 TPlink card will do.

If you must go through a router, there are other things to try.

That's brillant.  Thanks!  I now got a few ideas up my head...   :)

(Audio)

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2013, 16:34 »
And I thought bro Audio you mention one box solution less complicated ......

See those setting until I blur.......

Hahaha...

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2013, 16:45 »
And I thought bro Audio you mention one box solution less complicated ......

See those setting until I blur.......

Hahaha...

I think this is really simple already.  I can say you see Jriver looks very complicated but without JRiver, it gets even more complex.

Seriously, at this stage, anyone going into computer audio must have some computer knowledge or else it is quite different.  Wah lau, my bro here almost sold his brand new Lumin because he missed his JRiver interface...   :)

But don't worry, every time I don't know what to do, I just chant "Ang Mo Kio" and everything will be OK.   :)

(Audio)

Offline SL

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2014, 10:07 »
Hi all, sorry to dig up this old thread. I'm keen to explore DSD music and sadly my current DAC is limited to 24/96 - I'm using the macmini with Amarra software. I'm quite keen on the Lumin to play DSD materials and I have a pending trip to HK next week where I think the price may be cheaper?

I gather from the net that much rave might be attributed to the attractive intro price of US$4k but there seems to be some caveats at the current price level. Is this true? There also seems to be some competition from Sony (HAPz1ES) and Marantz (NA11).

Any thoughts from users or bros who have heard and compared? Thanks.