Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 144038 times)

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 13:04 »
If I read correctly, via NAS, Audio needs to extract SACD ISO to DSF tracks. If via Jriver, he can read ISO directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 13:06 by Tiktokape »

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 13:35 »
The reason for asking is because I am hoping that I can stop using my Mac mini server at my audio rack, and migrate to a compact NAS which I can hide in my study room.

Otherwise the alternative is to use my current general purpose PC in my study as the NAS, but I suspect this won't be ideal as I have to get Jriver for it, and also the fact that it could be in use by other people doing other stuff when I need it to concurrently stream my music for listening.

I suppose I could use my Mac mini as the NAS / server but it takes up more space than a NAS, as it's got external hard drives and power supply. Some more I may have to purchase the Mac version of Jriver to use it, which would be annoying.

Jriver media can run in the background of your PC even when other people are using it..
Unless they are going to be doing very intensive tasks, I don't see the issue.

NAS is still an option, but if the tiny NAS that you are thinking of (smaller than macmini with external hdd and PSU) is not going to be fast.
What about using a notebook?

Either way, you'd already be saving rack space if using the Lumin as both a streamer and a DAC.

Offline mars73

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 14:24 »
If I read correctly, via NAS, Audio needs to extract SACD ISO to DSF tracks. If via Jriver, he can read ISO directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see, thanks bro.

Offline mars73

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 14:39 »
Jriver media can run in the background of your PC even when other people are using it..
Unless they are going to be doing very intensive tasks, I don't see the issue.

NAS is still an option, but if the tiny NAS that you are thinking of (smaller than macmini with external hdd and PSU) is not going to be fast.
What about using a notebook?

Either way, you'd already be saving rack space if using the Lumin as both a streamer and a DAC.

I was looking at a 6 bay NAS. Not sure if that is considered fast enough. But I had the impression most common NAS like Synology is fast enough as media streamer, could be wrong of course.

I can tuck my NAS away out of sight while my Mac mini which runs on batteries with a separate connected charger is seriously troublesome with too many pieces (4-5 Pcs of stuff). Also severe limitation in storage capacity with only a 2TB external drive. Plus I always wanted a NAS to back up all my stuff anyway, so I would be saving space by using the NAS alone if possible.

Anyway we are digressing too much. My original query was basically trying to find out whether there was any limitation to using the Lumin with a NAS running minimserver as opposed to an audio PC running Jriver.

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 19:26 »
I was looking at a 6 bay NAS. Not sure if that is considered fast enough. But I had the impression most common NAS like Synology is fast enough as media streamer, could be wrong of course.

I can tuck my NAS away out of sight while my Mac mini which runs on batteries with a separate connected charger is seriously troublesome with too many pieces (4-5 Pcs of stuff). Also severe limitation in storage capacity with only a 2TB external drive. Plus I always wanted a NAS to back up all my stuff anyway, so I would be saving space by using the NAS alone if possible.

Anyway we are digressing too much. My original query was basically trying to find out whether there was any limitation to using the Lumin with a NAS running minimserver as opposed to an audio PC running Jriver.

It is fast enough...
The whole purpose of a NAS is to stream media anyway.. I was just saying the user experience when adding/editting music or metadata is different.

Also, NAS is not a back-up, IMO..

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 19:40 »
Hi mas73,

If you are looking for an NAS, do consider the power required to operate it. The power supply to the NAS does makes a different to the sound quality. If the power requirement is too high, then buying a linear power supply for it in the future maybe a problem. I am also not sure if having more harddisk in the NAS will affect the sound quality. Having more harddisk will also create more heat, which requires more fan or higher fan speed, which in turn creates more noise.

The processor in the NAS is fast enough to do seamless 24/192 music streaming with ease. If you are using Lumin software on an ipad, then the initially loading time maybe long (depends on the size of your library). If you are using Linn's Kinsky, then the loading time is instantaneous.

Some links:

www.6moons.com/audioreviews/lumin/1.html
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51792
http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/
http://www.teddypardo.com/
http://www.keces.com.tw/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 19:44 by Instek_88 »

Offline lkypeter

• So much more to discover in classical music
    • Politics Economics Business Altruism Music Singapore
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 21:53 »

Hi mas73,

If you are looking for an NAS, do consider the power required to operate it. The power supply to the NAS does makes a different to the sound quality. If the power requirement is too high, then buying a linear power supply for it in the future maybe a problem. I am also not sure if having more harddisk in the NAS will affect the sound quality. Having more harddisk will also create more heat, which requires more fan or higher fan speed, which in turn creates more noise.

The processor in the NAS is fast enough to do seamless 24/192 music streaming with ease. If you are using Lumin software on an ipad, then the initially loading time maybe long (depends on the size of your library). If you are using Linn's Kinsky, then the loading time is instantaneous.

Some links:

www.6moons.com/audioreviews/lumin/1.html
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51792
http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/
http://www.teddypardo.com/
http://www.keces.com.tw/

If you can afford, go for usb3 or thunderbolt enclosure as they beat any nas hands down. Nas uses LAN which is not very efficient and has longggggg latency which cannot be fixed. There are enclosures like thecus.

If need to for for nas, choose raid 0,1, 10 for performance and avoid raid 5 & 6 though I am on 5 as it is much slower but  good balance between performance and economical protection. Set the drives to never sleep as the latency to wake up can contribute clock shifts.

http://lkypeter.blogspot.com
Gradient Revolution MarkIV Active Speakers,Ayon Stealth DAC,SoTM SMS200,NanoTech Golden Strada#301powercables,Synology1817+NAS,MacMiniCore2DUO8GB,YamahaRVX3067,SonyBDPS790,DenonX4000,PioneerBDP180

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 22:18 »
Lumin will work with all audio streamers....Window Media Player, Synology Audio Station, Logitech Slimserver.....and Minimserver which Lumin recommend.

BUT NONE OF THESE STREAMS SACD ISO in native DSD......except Jriver.

Jriver runs on PC and Mac....and soon maybe on Linux and perhaps this would allow it to run on a NAS, until then, PC and Mac is the only solution.

(Audio)

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 22:32 »
Dac and streamer operate in a different ways. Data handling are different between them.

Server are server and streamer are streamer.

Offline mars73

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 12:01 »
Thanks all. Clear to me now. Don't have any sacd ISO at the moment cos haven't been able to rip them.

Offline Wenda

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 13:44 »
From the ISO, you are able to extract the DSF/DFF individual files (the stereo and/or multichannel layers have different files). Usually for stereo DSD files per album, they can be as small as a few hundred megs to 1GB ish files). Multichannel causes the ISO files to have a much larger size.

Offline composition

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 19:52 »
Santa dropped by my house and ................................

Offline mars73

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 20:22 »
Congrats! You bought local?

Offline composition

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 21:40 »
HELP!!!! my Lumin app in iPAD cannot find the Lumin Player!!!

I have a Synology DS213j, and I did not load in the MinimServer. I ran the Synology Audio Station instead. 

However I got it to work on the DS Audio Station App.

After 1 hr of play, the sound is comparable to my customized DIY PC + DAC combo, albeit with more macro dynamics.

Can someone advise me as to why my Lumin app on the Ipad cannot locate the Lumin player??
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 22:05 by composition »

Offline mystream

• To each his own
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 22:55 »
Hi Composition,

I recommend using the Lumin app which is must more faster than using DS audio app. I'm not sure whether you are aware, Synology media server may down sample audio before output to Lumin (this is to ensure better DMA compatibility), so if it's on, you can turn it off.

If you technical enough, you can try to install Minium DLNA server on Synology NAS, here's the link for your info: http://minimserver.com/install-synology.html 

Good luck with your Lumin! Definitely one of my dream streamer/dac. Congrats!

Best Regards