Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 149611 times)

Offline Jsen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Diamonds are NOT Forever while Silence is Golden
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #525 on: November 05, 2018, 13:51 »
Took delivery of the U1 mini with the Elite LPS. Switch it on now & it’s very very good for the price. No need to change for long long time after this for streaming transport.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 16:24 by Jsen »
Dynamics are the essence of how well you can feel the emotions and sentiments from the maestros and what they are trying to propose.

Offline tsi-dsg

• Snr Member
« Reply #526 on: November 06, 2018, 00:22 »
Took delivery of the U1 mini with the Elite LPS. Switch it on now & it’s very very good for the price. No need to change for long long time after this for streaming transport.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Hi, could u share which other streamer u compared against with? Thanks
Stereo: Magico S3MK2, Gryphon Diablo 300,
LH Labs The Source SSD w/KECES lps, LH Lab Vidac Signature Dac

Cables:Synergistic Powercell 12se UEF
,Synergistic Galileo cord, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 Cord, Kubala Sosna Elation Cord,,Albedo USB,Ansuz Aluminum XLR ,hORNS rack,
Magico Spod, Synergistic Mig 2.0,Synergistic Carbon XOT

HT 5.2.1: Denon X3400H,Magico S3MK2, Elac atmos(front),SVS SB2000(sub), Kef 3005HT(surround),MA CC300(Center)
Source: Nvidia Shield TV, NuBox android

Offline Jsen

• Diamonds are NOT Forever while Silence is Golden
« Reply #527 on: November 06, 2018, 09:15 »
Hi, could u share which other streamer u compared against with? Thanks
Hi, compared the U1 mini with Auralic Aries LE.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Dynamics are the essence of how well you can feel the emotions and sentiments from the maestros and what they are trying to propose.

Offline wklie

« Reply #528 on: November 06, 2018, 11:44 »
The current recommended configuration for Lumin X1 is to use a Cisco SG112-24 Compact switch, a pair of single mode 1310nm SFP modules, and LC-LC Duplex 9/125um Corning ClearCurve Single Mode fiber (from ebay).

The Cisco switch SG112-24 is now sold at Amazon for less than USD99
https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMS-24-Port-Gigabit-Switch-SG11224NA/dp/B00VPT8XSQ

It is worthwhile to note because:
1. It has SFP slots to enable the use of the optic fiber network in X1
2. Even ignoring the SFP slots, people using other non-Lumin setup have reported positive results

Note that the Amazon photo showing the rack mount version is wrong - they actually ship the Compact version.

For Roon users, please beware that it has occurred before Cisco managed switches and certain models of Cisco unmanaged switches can cause problems with Roon (some experience network flow control issues). I have not seen Roon users reporting problems with this particular switch so far.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline wklie

« Reply #529 on: November 21, 2018, 12:09 »
In case there is anyone who uses Audirvana Plus, a beta firmware is available for Lumin to support its UPnP operation (and contains a fix for JRiver support as well). Gapless playback and DSD are supported.

The value of Audirvana Plus is that we can now use its iZotope or SoX upsampling for PCM to DSD512 upsampling for Lumin X1 (or DSD128/64 for other models).

Roon can also upsample music to DSD512 for Lumin X1, but it is much more expensive and has less configurable upsampling parameters.

Please let me know if anyone wants to try this beta firmware, and state your Lumin model.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline wklie

« Reply #530 on: November 21, 2018, 20:17 »
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline wklie

« Reply #531 on: November 26, 2018, 14:56 »
Lumin X1 review by audiophile-magazine in French:
http://www.audiophile-magazine.com/bancs-d-essais/lumin-x1/

In the review Joël Chevassus states:

"It is without doubt the streamer that in my system has developed the most structured sound stage."

"The strength of the LUMIN X1 remains this stereophonic image of a hallucinatory precision."

"Lumin X1 is a very exceptional digital transport, very precise...the X1 brings you extra resolution"

"There is this sense of urgency and visceral energy that remains a very addictive character trait of the Lumin X1, and that difference in terms of performance, between the previous S1 and the new flagship, justifies in itself the move upmarket."
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline wklie

« Reply #532 on: November 29, 2018, 10:02 »
'Best Sound' Award for LUMIN X1 system.

High Fidelity have presented the Art & Voice system with a 'Best Sound' Award at the recent Poland Audio Video Show 2018.

The system was:
GRADIENT LABS. | NORMA AUDIO ELECTRONICS| LUMIN X1 | FIDATA | HIJIRI

Many thanks to:
Art & Voice for organising the room and including us in their system:
http://www.artandvoice.pl

High Fidelity for taking the time to listen:
http://highfidelity.pl

Audio Video Show for putting such a great event together
http://audioshow.pl

Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #533 on: November 29, 2018, 10:41 »
In case there is anyone who uses Audirvana Plus, a beta firmware is available for Lumin to support its UPnP operation (and contains a fix for JRiver support as well). Gapless playback and DSD are supported.

The value of Audirvana Plus is that we can now use its iZotope or SoX upsampling for PCM to DSD512 upsampling for Lumin X1 (or DSD128/64 for other models).

Roon can also upsample music to DSD512 for Lumin X1, but it is much more expensive and has less configurable upsampling parameters.

Please let me know if anyone wants to try this beta firmware, and state your Lumin model.

I am trying Audirvana Plus now and DSD512 option is still grey out.  DSD256 is available.  I am assuming we need to set it to DOPe 1.1, right?

(Audio)

Offline wklie

« Reply #534 on: November 29, 2018, 11:01 »
Can you set the maximum DSD frequency manually in “Audirvana Plus” menu > Go to “Preferences” > Select the “Audio System” tab?
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #535 on: November 29, 2018, 11:16 »
Can you set the maximum DSD frequency manually in “Audirvana Plus” menu > Go to “Preferences” > Select the “Audio System” tab?

Yes, that's what I was doing.  DSD512 is grey out and unselectable.  DSD256 is available.  Firmware used was 20181121_113beta2.

(Audio)

Offline wklie

« Reply #536 on: November 29, 2018, 11:55 »
Please use Lumin app to confirm the X1 is running the specified firmware - this is important.

In Audirvana Plus 3.2.x, please select Active Audio Device as UPnP: Lumin X1.

There should not be a setting that allows DoP - it is not appropriate for Audirvana UPnP anyway.

In the preferences, click the Maximum DSD rate box and select DSD512.  If it is not available, close and restart Audirvana software - when changing devices it seems it may be confused.

The Lumin Firmware controls whether Audirvana thinks it is DSD capable or not, but it does not control how high the DSD rate is - it has to be manually set by user as explained here:
https://audirvana.com/audio-file-formats/dsd/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:58 by wklie »
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #537 on: November 30, 2018, 23:35 »
Hi Peter,

This is what I got.

Any suggestion?

(Audio)

Offline wklie

« Reply #538 on: December 01, 2018, 09:03 »
Could you reconfirm the Lumin firmware has "beta2" in its version using Lumin app?

Is this Windows Audirvana?  The fact that the box says DSD512 but above lists only up to DSD256, and it has DoP option for UPnP makes me suspect there may be bug(s) associated with it.  We've only used Mac OS Audirvana to test.

Could you try the different options for DSD streaming method?  Something not DoP?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:14 by wklie »
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #539 on: January 07, 2019, 18:30 »

Success at last!!!   Heee heee.....thanks Wikie.

(Audio)