Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 164610 times)

Online wklie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #405 on: April 12, 2017, 11:09 »
Lumin released Firmware 8.03 for Lumin U1 that does Native DSD and DSD256 (for DSD256 music file only, not upsampling from PCM yet).  [This is for U1 only, other current Lumin models will not gain DSD256 support.]

This is primarily intended for those USB DAC that are supported by Linux in Native DSD256 mode (different from DSD-over-PCM DoP). If the USB DAC supports DoP256, it may also work in case the Native DSD256 data transfer cannot be established. However, DoP256 is rarely supported by USB DAC.

When using Lumin U1 with LampizatOr USB DAC that uses Amanero USB module, it works up to DSD DoP128 only, and Native DSD256 does not work. This is because Amanero support for Linux Native DSD is a work-in-progress, to my knowledge.

It seems that T+A also uses Amanero in some products, so I guess the same limitation is also applicable.

Free DSD256 music download:
http://www.2l.no/hires/
http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/quad-speed-dsd256-works-by-ve-kuseru-dorm-nantes-of-japan/
https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation
https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/mendelssohn-session
http://bluecoastmusic.com/free-downloads
http://www.wechdomi.org/english/index.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:13 by wklie »
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Online wklie

« Reply #406 on: June 12, 2017, 12:50 »
For those who are using Roon, please upgrade Roon Core to Build 234, and Lumin to Firmware 8.04. The new Lumin firmware contains optimizations for Roon Build 234, and may possibly improve SQ.

Feedback on SQ for this upgrade is much appreciated. Thanks.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline kimurastanley

« Reply #407 on: June 12, 2017, 18:30 »
For those who are using Roon, please upgrade Roon Core to Build 234, and Lumin to Firmware 8.04. The new Lumin firmware contains optimizations for Roon Build 234, and may possibly improve SQ.

Feedback on SQ for this upgrade is much appreciated. Thanks.
Is MQA ready for this update?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Online wklie

« Reply #408 on: June 13, 2017, 00:53 »
Is MQA ready for this update?

Not yet.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline eze73

• Snr Member
« Reply #409 on: July 09, 2017, 16:14 »
Hello
I recently bought a Lumin U1
Some initial impressions :
1. The unit is a piece of beauty , heavy and really gorgeous
2. Very easy to use
3. Music sounds really nice .. no harshness , verything is detailed

The U1 is not so well know .. but I don't have an explanation for that
Right now , the U1 has replaced the Aurender N100h in my system

Just some questions now :
In another forums , people have been tending to use the Kenneth Lau PSU instead of the one supplied (6moons have tried it too)
Any user comments or views on that ?
Is it a really upgrade or simple change for us (hifi geeks) ?

Is there a benefit in using a PLIXIR type of conditionner ?
Is there a real gain ?

Thanks

Offline kimurastanley

« Reply #410 on: July 10, 2017, 14:25 »
U1 supposed to be like S1 minus the DAC. The power supply quality should be top notch.

From what I read, usually those using D1 gets improvement using external PSU such as Kenneth lau.  But I not sure whether these PSUs are better U1 stock PSU

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline eze73

• Snr Member
« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2017, 01:29 »
Hello
I have had a conversation with a well known seller
He has advised me not to change the Lumin LPSU
Normally , I should be buying a PLIXIR BAC to test
Cheers

Offline matix

« Reply #412 on: July 11, 2017, 09:31 »
Hello
I have had a conversation with a well known seller
He has advised me not to change the Lumin LPSU
Normally , I should be buying a PLIXIR BAC to test
Cheers

I don't know about the U1.  But the Plixir BAC literally transformed my D1.  It was a huge improvement,  day and night difference. 

Offline wsdavidcheah

« Reply #413 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57 »
I don't know about the U1.  But the Plixir BAC literally transformed my D1.  It was a huge improvement,  day and night difference.
Have almost the same experience with my D1,  for me I started with LPS. Day and night difference then I added a AC conditioner (Plixir)  which effects are there but not as dramatic.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Online wklie

« Reply #414 on: July 11, 2017, 11:21 »
Have almost the same experience with my D1,  for me I started with LPS. Day and night difference

For those who are considering to purchase Lumin D1 to be used with a LPS such as this:

http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/lumin-d1-audiophile-network-music-player/

Please be aware that after the currently available units of Lumin D1 are sold, future production will change to an internal switched power supply, because Lumin has received customer feedback saying having an external power supply for D1 is inconvenient, and they prefer an internal power supply.  Using an internal switched power supply would mean eliminating the possibility of convenient external LPS upgrade.

This production change does not apply to other models in the Lumin product line.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Online wklie

« Reply #415 on: August 08, 2017, 11:07 »
(LUMIN M1 is an integrated network player with digital amplifier for speaker output: 100W @ 4 ohm, 60W @ 8 ohm)

From LUMIN Facebook:

LUMIN M1
NEW Analogue input

LUMIN M1 now includes an adapter to add RCA or mini-jack audio input via USB.

You can now add another source to an M1 system such as a CD player.

Function:
LUMIN M1 will automatically switch to new analogue input when the adapter is connected, or when LUMIN M1 is woken up with the adapter already connected.

To switch to normal LUMIN Playback, simply play any music using Lumin app, AirPlay, Roon or any OpenHome app.

All new M1 sales will include the new adapter.

Existing M1 owners can purchase the new adapter directly from us or via your dealer. Please contact info@luminmusic.com for details.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Online wklie

« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2017, 16:47 »
Lumin released Firmware 9.01 to Fully Decode MQA.  Lumin offers the most flexible MQA settings in the market.  This post explains the Lumin MQA Settings. Currently this post applies to Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1.

To understand MQA terminology, please read this first:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/mqa-for-civilians/

MQA Analog Output Mode:
- This is case D in the article
- This is the default mode suitable for most users who use the Lumin analog outputs
- Lumin offers Hardware Full Decoding to analog outputs
- Digital output is disabled
- Lumin upsampling is disabled
- This mode will not be available for Lumin U1 because U1 does not have analog outputs

MQA Digital Output Mode:
- This is (usually) case B in the article
- If you use Lumin digital output to connect to an external DAC, this is the mode to be used
- Lumin does MQA Core decoding and outputs 24/96 or 24/88.2 to external DAC in this mode
- If used with an external DAC that is a MQA Renderer such as Berekeley Alpha Reference 2 with (announced) MQA upgrade, this becomes case C - please keep Lumin volume at 100, otherwise MQA Rendering will fail
- Note that in MQA Digital Output mode, the front panel and the app sample rate display refers to the MQA sample rate of the MQA music, not the actual sample rate of the digital output (either 96kHz or 88.2kHz)
- Analog outputs are disabled
- Lumin upsampling is disabled

MQA Passthrough Mode:
- This is case A (for Lumin) in the article.
- If you use Lumin digital output to an external DAC that is a MQA Full Decoder (case D), e.g. Mytek Brooklyn, this MQA Passthrough Mode allows Lumin to send raw MQA data to the external DAC to be fully MQA decoded.
- Note that in MQA Passthrough mode, the front panel and the app sample rate display refers to the MQA sample rate of the MQA music, not the actual sample rate of the digital output (either 48kHz or 44.1kHz).
- Analog outputs are disabled
- Lumin upsampling is disabled (otherwise subsequent MQA decoding will fail)
- Lumin digital volume is disabled (otherwise subsequent MQA decoding will fail)

Off Mode:
- This is case A in the article.
- Starting from Firmware 9.01, if MQA is set to Off, Lumin retrieves the 16/44.1kHz version of Tidal master instead of the 24-bit version for any MQA decoding.
- Lumin upsampling can be used. This is the mode to be used if users do not care about MQA decoding and would rather upsample Tidal Masters to DSD, or to lower the download bandwidth required
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline eze73

• Snr Member
« Reply #417 on: August 12, 2017, 20:29 »
Hello
Does that mean that the U1 will not be MQA compatible (DAC is the chord DAve)
Thanks

Online wklie

« Reply #418 on: August 14, 2017, 10:58 »
Lumin is working on adding MQA Core decoding to U1.  This will enable your Chord Dave to get 96kHz or 88.2kHz from Tidal MQA music.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline eze73

• Snr Member
« Reply #419 on: August 14, 2017, 17:19 »
Hello
Thanks a lot for the answer