Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 149586 times)

Offline skong121176

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #390 on: March 09, 2017, 12:07 »
After upgrading Lumin to Firmware 8.01, please go to Roon Audio Setup, find LUMIN under Roon Ready devices, enable it and assign a zone name to it.  If it's not listed, please upgrade your Roon Core to Build 209 or later, or restart the Roon Core if's already the latest.

With Roon Ready there is no reason to use AirPlay in Roon.  (AirPlay music transmission is lossless up to 16/44.1.)

Thanks bro wklie  ;)

Offline wklie

« Reply #391 on: March 09, 2017, 12:13 »
Unrelated. I have some Sacd rips that show as 176/24 files and play as DSD in LUMIN app and still able to play in LUMIN Roon endpoint with no sound at all. How do I get theee to play under Roon?

You mean your DSD music packed in a PCM container (i.e. DoP format) plays properly using Lumin app, but with Roon there is no sound, right?

That's because Roon does not support DoP files.  Roon Labs expect you to convert them to DSF.  (I think Roon supports DoP as an output format to DAC, just not as an input music format.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:16 by wklie »
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Miketay

« Reply #392 on: March 09, 2017, 12:15 »
If that is the case what is the best app to use to do that?  Thanks for your kind attention.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #393 on: March 09, 2017, 13:11 »
Linn does not support DSD at all.  If "DoP over coax" is what you need...

Many users love Lumin upsampling of PCM to DSD.

No Linn doesn't - but then Linn doesn't really believe in DSD either which is why it wasn't under consideration.

My main point has to do with how a Chinese clone can end up more expensive than the real thing - which is a little bewildering :)
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline milk_vanilla

« Reply #394 on: March 09, 2017, 13:27 »
Not clone, just following the digital trend

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #395 on: March 09, 2017, 13:59 »
My main point has to do with how a Chinese clone can end up more expensive than the real thing - which is a little bewildering :)

Doggie, it is not a clone. 

(Audio)

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #396 on: March 09, 2017, 14:40 »
My impression of Lumin is not a clone but more like a Xiaomi (Lumin) vs iPhone (Linn).
Xiaomi is not bad but it's no iphone

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #397 on: March 09, 2017, 14:46 »
Doggie, it is not a clone. 

(Audio)

Download the free Linn Kazoo app.

Voila the LUMIN appears like it was a Linn DS
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #398 on: March 09, 2017, 14:59 »
Download the free Linn Kazoo app.

Voila the LUMIN appears like it was a Linn DS

Wow, is that how you define a clone?   LOL!!

(Audio)

Offline wklie

« Reply #399 on: March 09, 2017, 15:09 »
Lumin app and Kazoo app are interchangeable for both Lumin and Linn devices because both use the OpenHome protocol.  I can access Lumin features using Kazoo app on Android, just as there are Linn users who prefer Lumin app on iPad.  Likewise we can use an OpenHome control app such as Bubble DS Next to control either player.  This is what standard compliance is for.  With other manufacturers' network players, if their app has a critical bug or is unavailable for a platform, you have no other choice.  With standard compliance you have.  Standard compliance does not imply cloning.

The top of the line Lumin costs less than USD10k MSRP (ignore the exhibition price for this discussion).  The top of the line Linn costs far more than that.  Lumin S1 uses 4 x ESS9018 chips, and I'm not aware of Linn network players using ESS9018.  With such a fundamental difference I don't see how one can be a clone of the other.  There are also features that Lumin has and Linn does not - DSD, upsampling to DSD, Roon Ready, etc.  I'm also not aware of Linn offering a pure transport like U1.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 15:12 by wklie »
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #400 on: March 09, 2017, 15:22 »
The Katalyst DAC upgrade on the Linn Klimax uses AKM4497 DACs.
End of Line - Derezzed

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #401 on: March 09, 2017, 15:24 »
http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20160923AK4497Linn_001/

Asahi Kasei Microdevices Corporation's (AKM) flagship premium audio DAC: the AK4497 has been adopted in LINN Products Limited (LINN) Katalyst DAC architecture that is featured in new network music player Klimax DS/DSM  announced on the 21th September 2016.

KATALYST is LINN's 4th generation DAC architecture. It delivers unparalleled precision thanks to five improved areas: a high-stability input reference level, independent power supplies, LINN-designed data optimization, a high-precision master clock, and the new ultra-low distortion analogue output driver.
Katalyst DAC architecture performs digital-to-analogue conversion with greater precision than ever and is now featured in both the Klimax DS and Klimax DSM.  If you already own a Klimax DS or Klimax DSM, you can take advantage of the biggest performance upgrade by adding KATALYST to your player.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #402 on: March 09, 2017, 15:37 »
Here's one of the first reviews of the Lumin

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/11/lumin-audiophile-network-music-player.html

reminded me of the most advanced Linn player – the Klimax DS, I thought about the pros and cons of such close resemblance. In this case, however, this resemblance was not an easy copying, imitation or, what some “benevolent” people claimed, cloning, but only a starting point for designing something unique. I personally have no problem with such approach from the constructors of Pixel Magic Systems Ltd., as I pointed out some solutions used by the Scots in their products, which did not wake my enthusiasm, and I was very curious to see competition appearing on the market, who would have resolved those issues. I am writing about that in the very beginning, because in the case of Lumin, there is no special ideology attached to it, and the wheel was not invented again. Its creators admit openly, that they studied the best file players/streamers on the market.

Right down to the app.

Don't get me wrong - does the Lumin sound good? It definitely does.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline wklie

« Reply #403 on: March 09, 2017, 15:38 »
If that is the case what is the best app to use to do that?  Thanks for your kind attention.

If you have the original ISO, perhaps you can try ISO2DSF and/or sacd_extract.

Edit:
VinylStudio can convert DoP file to DSF.  Import the DoP files, make sure that they're detected as DSD.  In the tab for Save Tracks, click More (do not click the Save Tracks button), choose Convert Recording Format and DSF.  After the conversion is done, close VinylStudio and launch Mp3Tag to copy the tags from the DoP files to the newly generated DSF files.

When you try the converted files, turn down the volume in case there is any error or setting issue.

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=673.msg2191#msg2191
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 16:24 by wklie »
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Miketay

« Reply #404 on: March 09, 2017, 19:41 »
Thanks wklie.