Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 164388 times)

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2016, 14:00 »
Soundstage, layering and pinpoint image comparable with higher Lumin A1..
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think so... A1 excels D1 more than just adding a LPSU. If T1, might be possible  :).

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2016, 15:10 »
Agree with Tiktokape.

Heard D1 a few times with different LPS. And one of the LPS is one of the best in the market that I had heard (within a sensible price range). I think there is still quite appreciable gap between the D1/LPS and the A1/stockPS.

Offline Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2016, 16:13 »
Metal block shielding is everything....as with Ayre KX-R and MX-R....even Apple Macbook too...    :)

(Audio)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2016, 18:10 »
Metal block shielding is everything....as with Ayre KX-R and MX-R....even Apple Macbook too...    :)

(Audio)

As with Linn, since 1999! when they introduced the Sondek CD12; milled from solid aluminium blocks (if only the drive mech was more reliable I’d have never sold it off, still haunts my dreams ;D), and the Klimax series which Lumin practically copied the design exactly :P
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2016, 18:16 »
As with Linn, since 1999! when they introduced the Sondek CD12; milled from solid aluminium blocks (if only the drive mech was more reliable I’d have never sold it off, still haunts my dreams ;D), and the Klimax series which Lumin practically copied the design exactly :P

And why they copy it?   Because it works!!   Super kiasu shielding make the output damn silent that you can hear all the small small details......

(Audio)

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2016, 18:31 »
And why they copy it?   Because it works!!   Super kiasu shielding make the output damn silent that you can hear all the small small details......

Whether the milled solid aluminium chassis is effective is a question mark. And in what ways it is effective (control of vibration of the chassis, EMI shielding, and etc) is another question mark. Maybe it is just a marketing gimmick. Personally I don't find the appearance of that chassis (DS, Kontrol, DSM, and etc) special in any way but the air vents of the Klimax amplifiers are nice looking. The quality of the finishing and the way the air vents are being milled out are pretty impresssive.

I am thinking of looking for a Linn Klimax DS/1 renew owner to do a comparison against the original Klimax DS/1. The only difference between the original DS and the renew DS is just the casing.

Klimax Solo:

Klimax Renew Casing:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 19:12 by Instek_88 »

Offline Davemusic

« Reply #351 on: June 18, 2016, 17:35 »
I am using a D1, am curious and tempted to get a better external DAC to go with it rather upgrading to a higher Lumin model.
With technology improving in DAC I only need to upgrade my dac. Not sure that make sense...
Anyone has experience using ext dac with Lumin?

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #352 on: June 18, 2016, 17:50 »
I am using a D1, am curious and tempted to get a better external DAC to go with it rather upgrading to a higher Lumin model.
With technology improving in DAC I only need to upgrade my dac. Not sure that make sense...
Anyone has experience using ext dac with Lumin?
It depends the budget you allocated on the DAC. I ever tried using D1 and output via coaxial to my Parasound Halo Integrated amp & sub $2k DAC, it sounds pretty decent however I still prefers D1's DAC.

Also if you want to playback DSD, you need to identify DAC capable of outputting DSD via SPDIF. Read more here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/which-direct-stream-digital-digital-analogue-converter-supports-dsd-over-pcm-over-spdif-15950/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Davemusic

« Reply #353 on: June 18, 2016, 22:19 »
Thanks Tiktokape!
I have very limited knowledge of these digital interface. If I understand you correctly the DAC must be able to decode DSD signal from Lumin via SPDIF, which a lot of older technology DAC may not able?

Offline wklie

« Reply #354 on: June 18, 2016, 22:28 »
For improving the performance from D1, consider a LPS first.

If you really want to try an external DAC, choose one that supports "DSD over PCM (DoP) over coaxial".  Many DSD DAC only support DSD (over PCM) via USB but not over coaxial.  Even within the class of DAC that fits this requirement, there are some that only support 2.822MHz DSD64 but not 3.072MHz DSD64+ (if you use D1 to upsample 48kHz or 96kHz PCM to DSD64+).
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Davemusic

« Reply #355 on: June 19, 2016, 06:34 »
Hi wklie,
Thanks! I realized the value of external dac is limited by Lumin digital output, from D1 to S1 the digital output is:
DIGITAL AUDIO:
BNC SPDIF:
PCM 44.1kHz-192kHz, 16-24bit
DSD (DoP, DSD over PCM) 2.8MHz, 1bit
The only way is extensive testing during home trial. I am not familiar with up-sampling yet
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:19 by Davemusic »

Offline wklie

« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2016, 12:03 »
Lumin will be present in the Hong Kong AV Show 2016, in case anybody is going there.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2016, 12:33 »
For improving the performance from D1, consider a LPS first.

If you really want to try an external DAC, choose one that supports "DSD over PCM (DoP) over coaxial".  Many DSD DAC only support DSD (over PCM) via USB but not over coaxial.  Even within the class of DAC that fits this requirement, there are some that only support 2.822MHz DSD64 but not 3.072MHz DSD64+ (if you use D1 to upsample 48kHz or 96kHz PCM to DSD64+).

Mainly cos SPDIF is limited to 24/192 so you are stuck at DSD1x
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline SL

« Reply #358 on: August 06, 2016, 11:30 »
Any chance Lumin will have Spotify Connect?

Offline milk_vanilla

« Reply #359 on: August 06, 2016, 12:13 »
Not yet, use AirPlay instead