Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 158664 times)

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #300 on: April 13, 2016, 16:54 »
For those who are interested in optical media converter for streamers:

On the server side: Asus RT-N66U to Planet FST-802 (optical media converter - OMC). Asus router powered by its own SMPS (sound better than most LPS in the market. But different batches of RT-N66U may come with different SMPS which sound different). Planet FST-802 powered by FRIWO MPP Medical grade SMPS (sound better than a lot of LPS in the market too). Both SMPS are plugged into Shunyata MPC-12 which in turn plugged into a Shunyata Triton(v2)/Typhon. I placed the router and OMC on the floor as it sound better in my system that way.

On the streamer side: Another OMC connected to the streamer using a Chord Super Aray streaming cable. The OMC is powered by a Paul Hynes SR7EHD with a Shunyata Alpha digital. The Shunyata Alpha digital does to Shunyata Triton(v2)/Typhon. In my system, this OMC sound the best when placed on another Typhon. THe SR7 is placed on Audiophile Stratabase platform as SR7 don't seems to respond well to any footers available in the market that I had tried.

Btw. The Asus RT-N66U is running the media server playing through the thumb drive. Three of the antenna of the router is removed. The wireless power of the router is also set to the lowest 1mW output. The RT-N66U is the best sounding router for this purpose that I had tried so far.

All the network equipment are very sensitive to (1) the surface they are placed on, (2) the power supply, (3) Ethernet cable, (4) the position where they are placed relative to the system. The orientation of the router relative to the system will make quite a big difference to the sound to.

This is the best sounding network solution that I tried so far.
Finally you showcase yours... ;D

Offline milk_vanilla

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #301 on: April 13, 2016, 16:58 »
Finally you showcase yours... ;D

U don't know my initial post just to bait his setup out ?

Online Tiktokape

« Reply #302 on: April 13, 2016, 17:00 »

Wahaha...he held back so long...

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2016, 17:09 »

Btw. Of all the optical media converters that I had tried, the 100 version sound better than the 1000 version.My guess is that the 100 noise emission standard is for home use (EMC class B), whereas the noise emission standard for 1000 is for industrial use (EMC class A) .Please check further as I maybe wrong.

But I had not compared single versus multimode OMC.

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2016, 17:30 »
Must we use "Audiophile" Fiber Optic cables too ?  :P
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Online Tiktokape

« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2016, 17:53 »
Can we use normal one first, dont get it started...  :-X

Offline Instek_88

« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2016, 18:05 »

I had not tried one and had not heard of one. And I had not compare different brands, different lengths, different terminations, and etc. Not sure if it makes a difference but I gave up trying to reason the theory behind it after experimenting network for a while.

I guess it better to work on other parts of the network first as they do still make quite a "significant" difference. Quite a lot of things can be optimise other than the fibre optic.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 18:10 by Instek_88 »

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2016, 21:26 »
Need to hunt if they still have a pair single mode converter to be thrown.

But wondering if they both make difference though? And another curiosity how bout if change into 1000-T converter,  but i think lumin only run 100-T in it's ethernet port end, it will be throttle down to 100

Whether MM or SM is better kind of depends on the Converter/SFP/Fibres in question... Bit errors, especially on MM and if the fibre connectors are not clean, are not uncommon. In most cases though, for typical short length (home) use of less than 100 meters, it won’t make any difference at all if using using a respectable Media Converter.

And if you’re using the media converted in combination with a managed Ethernet switch on the other end, it’s easy to monitor the performance of the optical port precisely. For example, the optical link to my DAC’s Ethernet port has an uptime of 99 days today (i.e. since I last rebooted/reconfigured anything), there are ZERO errors of any kind ;D, and latency/jitter has no implication on Ethernet traffic to my DAC.

As for whether 100Mbps or GE optical link is better, depends on what your DAC’s Ethernet port speed is, just going full line rate of that port should be fine as long as you’re not seeing any errors, GE isn’t automatically better.

Audio’s right about the Power supply making difference… but thats more to do with electrical noise riding on the Ethernet port than the Ethernet traffic itself. I use an LPS for the Converter at my DAC end. I haven’t tried batteries though ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 21:47 by AndrewC »
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #308 on: April 13, 2016, 21:31 »
For those who are interested in optical media converter for streamers:

This is the best sounding network solution that I tried so far.

Very nice!!  :)

Offline milk_vanilla

« Reply #309 on: April 13, 2016, 21:37 »
Whether MM or SM is better kind of depends on the Converter/SPF/Fibres in question... Bit errors, especially on MM and if the fibre connectors are not clean, are not uncommon. In most cases though, for typical short length (home) use of less than 100 meters, it won’t make any difference at all if using using a respectable Media Converter.

Thanks Andrew, i will stay with this setup for the time being.
Putting this optic in between my mini (minim server)  to lumin, is quite hugh leap on what lumin sound can bring.

Offline Instek_88

« Reply #310 on: April 13, 2016, 22:21 »
Thanks Andrew, i will stay with this setup for the time being.
Putting this optic in between my mini (minim server)  to lumin, is quite hugh leap on what lumin sound can bring.

Just to share a bit. My theory is that its not really a data issue but rather a noise issue. As Andrew mentioned, the transmission error is serious extremely low. There are 3 ways for noise to travel to the server to streamer side (referring to OMC):

(1) through mains,
(2) through ethernet cable,
(3) through air as electromagnetic radiation

On point (1)
I tested (1) and its very hard to completely remove this factor. I can hear differences even if I place the server side equipment far away from the audio mains (my audio mains is a dedicated mains btw). Even if I use a 50m electrical cable to extend the line of the mains line for the server side, I can still hear the difference. Things changed a lot when I got the Shunyata MPC-12 (with same digital coil as the DPC-6) and this thing really work. But when I plug the MPC-12 into the Triton(v2)/Typhon, the sound quality takes another step forward.

I think the next step maybe to try using batter power on the server side equipment. This will take the server side out of the mains circuit. Might be worth trying but keep point (3) in mind as well as I suspect the noise emission through air may increase due to this arrangement. Lastly, there is also a problem of charging those battery. The power usage of OMC and router maybe between 10-15W. Power consumption will multiply a few times if you use a NAS.

Personally I tried using battery power on the streamer side OMC and I did not keep to that arrangement. In my system, it makes the system sound really flat and boring. Battery power at the server side may have the following weakness: (1) the ripple of battery is not that low as compared to good LPS, and (2) the battery cannot dissipate the digital noise created by the streamer side OMC and thus may reflect it back to the streamer. This means that noise goes into the streamer through the Ethernet port which is what we don't want. Of course, this is just my guess. Thus I think its better to use a good LPS like the Teddy Pardo LPS (or if possible a Paul Hynes SR7) on this streamer side OMC, then add a Shunyata Alpha Digital power cord to further remove the digital noise.

On point (2)
Electrical noise can't travel through the fibre optics. So this is out. However, the Ethernet cable on the streamer side is still extremely important. For the server side, even with my current arrangement, I can still hear very slight differences in different Ethernet cable.

On point (3)

Put the equipment far away from the system if possible (which is not possible in my case). Or create a Faraday's cage around the server side equipment to contain the radiation, which is something that I had not really tried seriously.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #311 on: April 13, 2016, 23:02 »
As promised....pictures:-

Undergoing testing and experimenting......

(Audio)

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #312 on: April 14, 2016, 06:28 »
As promised....pictures:-

I was under the impression that Sealed Lead Acid Batteries have pretty wild voltage fluctuations over the life-span of their charge cycle? No?

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
« Reply #313 on: April 14, 2016, 08:40 »
I was under the impression that Sealed Lead Acid Batteries have pretty wild voltage fluctuations over the life-span of their charge cycle? No?

Audio,

Lead acid batteries produce oxygen and hydrogen during charging, especially in the event of overcharging.  These gases are produced by the electrolysis of water from the aqueous solution of sulfuric acid.  When a lead acid battery cell “blows” or becomes incapable of being charged properly, the amount of hydrogen produced can increase catastrophically. The flammable hydrogen gas, when ignited can raze your whole system because of your "live" system and combustibles involved.

I still want to listen to your system whenever I visit HK. ;D

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #314 on: April 14, 2016, 10:07 »
You charge your battery overnight......and then plug in the battery only when you are listening to your system.  I have left the battery connected for more than 24 hours in the system without any charging and it still works.  Please understand that you are running a 6VDC battery to a device that only requires 5VDC and the battery is capable / certified  to deliver 1 AMP for 12 hours.  I felt that the media convertor only use a fraction of an Amp.

Once I finish testing, I will build a linear charger and use a relay to disconnect the battery from the charging circuit and power  the media convertor using a changeover relay (2 poles, 6 contacts).  When you switch off your preamp, the replay will disconnect the power to the media convertor and then go back to charging.

There is no danger because these are sealed batteries.  When over charging occur...there is a valve to relieve the internal pressure.  The charging must limit the overall voltage of the battery and use a current limiter during charging.  I normally charge the battery art about 1.5 Amp and try to limit the battery to about 7.2VDC.

And yes, somehow, the dual port SFP / dual ethernet convertor sounds better than a single port ethernet / SFP media converter.  I like the "CableRack" brand a lot.  (AndrewC is giggling, I am sure)  For transceivers, I use TP-Link Single Mode TL-SM311LS.....because these are trouble-free....works first time, everytime....and comparably cheaper than the Cisco and such.  Fibre, I use the compatible 10G type (light blue), they are compatible to the Single Mode transceivers....AndrewC won't frown on this one.  Don't show him your fibre if they are orange in colour.

(Audio)