Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 159596 times)

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2015, 00:50 »
I yet to try out up sample, will try tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline drac407

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2015, 10:27 »
I don't think so. However, if you are using JRiver and JRemote. There is an iPhone app for JRemote to control Lumin. If you need Tidal, strictly on Lumin app via iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tiktokape!

Lucky me.. although not able to view/do any setup, I did manage to stream from NAS as well as using VLC player on my iphone to playback using D1  ;D

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2015, 10:44 »

Thanks Tiktokape!

Lucky me.. although not able to view/do any setup, I did manage to stream from NAS as well as using VLC player on my iphone to playback using D1  ;D
Good to know, learnt something today Mind doing a screenshot how it look like in your iPhone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline drac407

• Snr Member
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2015, 11:07 »
Sure,  let me do it when I'm bck home to show the D1 connection

Offline RAYRAY

« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2015, 22:31 »
Thank You.

Updating now, can try later after dinner!

Offline drac407

• Snr Member
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2015, 10:44 »
Sure,  let me do it when I'm bck home to show the D1 connection

1. Open <VLC> app in your iPhone

2. Under "Network" tab, select <Local Network>

3. There is a UPnP discovery service... please wait for it to scan your LAN for UPnp devices

4. Showing Lumin as UPnP device (I haven't setup my Lumin yet, just plugged in a USB and thus only the USB music server)
   Select by tapping on the Lumin icon

5. When playing your music file, you can now choose whether to play it via your iPhone or stream to Lumin

Done! now you may use your iphone to stream via VLC to Lumin

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2015, 21:27 »
Thanks for sharing

Offline matix

« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2015, 02:43 »
I have my D1 for two days now.  I must admit really struggling with it.  I have some audio files in ITunes, and upon connecting, manage to play in my system after installing the Lumin App in Ipad.  Only yesterday, I am actually playing AAC file which is loosy.  Understand that this is a MP3 version of Apple.  Bought today Synology NAS214 play from Memory World, and even though the kind attendant help me configure everything and even install Mimic Server, I am unable to connect to Internet when I connect the NAS to the network.  Anyway,  I think I will rip the CDs first and then pour through this thread and others..  I do not want to start on a wrong footing.  Should I rip to FLAC or ALAC or ??  Have read that many have to re-rip their whole collection when they change their media player.  Since I have just started, kindly advise what is the first step to take???

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2015, 08:19 »

I have my D1 for two days now.  I must admit really struggling with it.  I have some audio files in ITunes, and upon connecting, manage to play in my system after installing the Lumin App in Ipad.  Only yesterday, I am actually playing AAC file which is loosy.  Understand that this is a MP3 version of Apple.  Bought today Synology NAS214 play from Memory World, and even though the kind attendant help me configure everything and even install Mimic Server, I am unable to connect to Internet when I connect the NAS to the network.  Anyway,  I think I will rip the CDs first and then pour through this thread and others..  I do not want to start on a wrong footing.  Should I rip to FLAC or ALAC or ??  Have read that many have to re-rip their whole collection when they change their media player.  Since I have just started, kindly advise what is the first step to take???
If you are going to host your music off from desktop, you should try out JRiver. Simply point/add your iTunes library to it. On methods how to link it up, read back a few posts, Audio did a run through actually.

The HiRes format for iTunes is AIFF in my opinion instead of ALAC. If you had never configure any since 1st day, likely explains why they are lossy when you rip them off from CD using iTunes. Question on whether you should go for FLAC or AIFF, if you still need audio files to transfer to idevices, go for AIFF. If no, you can try and rip both formats, listen for yourself which is better and go on from there.

With regards to your NAS, put static IP on it. Not necessary for Lumin since it is just a streamer, you won't be accessing it anyway. I didn't set mine too.

Do make sure that you had went into NAS administration, via MimicServer and point your music directory correctly. Hit re-scan after that. Go to your Lumin app and re-load the music library. Try it using 1 full album with artwork tagging in place. Good to go and hit the rest.

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2015, 09:39 »
Instead of using iTune, try ripping for DBpoweramp. Set it to secure rip and switch off your accuraterip. That will give you bit perfect rip. If I am not wrong, iTune will not check for bit perfect rip.

As for file format, you can rip to different format then listen which one you prefer. You can choose between flac and aiff. I use flac.

In terms of sound quality, some people prefer wav. But wav has tagging issue. If you like wav file, then you can try to use synology upnp server. This will allow you to convert the file to wav on the fly. This is something that you can experiment as well.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2015, 09:43 »
I use AIFF which is uncompressed lossless like WAV but supports tagging.

You can also try FLAC with 0 compression
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2015, 10:34 »
Instead of using iTune, try ripping for DBpoweramp. Set it to secure rip and switch off your accuraterip. That will give you bit perfect rip. If I am not wrong, iTune will not check for bit perfect rip.
+1 on DBpoweramp. Mp3tag for artwork etc.

Personally I prefers AIFF because I'm on Windows and Mac OS and using idevices. Much easier for to rip and host 1 format.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2015, 11:20 »
I use XLD on the Mac to rip. Does Secure/AccurateRip
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline matix

« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2015, 18:57 »
  Try it using 1 full album with artwork tagging in place. Good to go and hit the rest.

Thanks all, especially Tiktokape who has given me a clearer picture.    I manage to get Minim Server to appear in the music library!  I have move more files to it.  Some of it is 10 years old!  Those were the days when I dip into computer audio and gave up.  Well,  here am I again...   Seems that a lot of album art is missing.  They do show up in ITunes.  How do I set up the album artwork tagging? 

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 19:20 by matix »

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2015, 19:13 »
It will be shown in iTunes due to their own system files. Sadly, can't be surfaced in your NAS. Try Mp3Tag for album artwork etc. Do re-scan your library whenever new albums were added.

Nowadays, I rip and tag before dumping into NAS or iTunes. That's the best. Once for all!