Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 161566 times)

Offline RAYRAY

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2015, 22:45 »
with my setup , PC (JRMC) --> Dlink Router --> D1 , I will need to figure out how to get the Lumin app recognize my PC. :)

Offline duylinhdesign

• Snr Member
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2015, 23:07 »

I have a Kenneth lau LPS. It's not for Lumin, just a normal version. Not using it now and it's stored deep inside my storeroom. Using Teddy pardo, plixir and Paul hynes LPS atm.

You might want to check if Paul hynes makes LPS for lumin. Paul hynes sr7 LPS is at least 2 leagues above any other LPS I had heard.
I almost pull my trigger on Klau LPSU for Lumin.. I have to think twice again :(
Plixir or Paul Hynes. How much is the damage for Hynes SR7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anusz D8>Ansuz Mainz>Lumin Streamer> Hybrid Pre-Pow> Focal 1027be..

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2015, 23:30 »

with my setup , PC (JRMC) --> Dlink Router --> D1 , I will need to figure out how to get the Lumin app recognize my PC. :)
Enabled DoPe in your JRMC? Your Lumin app should pick from there. Alternatively, you can use JRemote too.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2015, 00:16 »
Set DOPe like this with your JRMC:-

On Lumin App - Select Music Library Options

A whole list of DLNA servers will appear for you to select

But the JRemote is way better than Lumin App....faster scrolling and selection

Beautiful too....SACD.ISO also appear and selectable.....

(Audio)

Offline Instek_88

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2015, 09:21 »
I almost pull my trigger on Klau LPSU for Lumin.. I have to think twice again :(
Plixir or Paul Hynes. How much is the damage for Hynes SR7?

A single output sr7ehdxl with silver wiring is about sgd2k. Current waiting time is about 2-3 months. Dont know the number output required by lumin. But the paul hynes sr7 is seriously good stuff. It sound very detailed and yet sound very natural. Its prat is spot on and its dynamics is the best i had heard. My system is still unable to show the full qualities of the sr7. When I plugged in the sr7, it sound vastly superior to anything I had heard even when brand new. It combines the strengths of all other LPS plus more.

The paul hynes sr7 is no longer produced directly by Paul hynes. The production of sr7 is now produced by a factory in uk.

Offline RAYRAY

« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2015, 10:06 »
Bro Audio,

Thank you very much for the all the detailed information. :)
Will feedback on my listening coming weekend :)

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2015, 10:18 »

A single output sr7ehdxl with silver wiring is about sgd2k. Current waiting time is about 2-3 months. Dont know the number output required by lumin.
12V 4A for Lumin D1.

Offline Instek_88

« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2015, 12:49 »
12V 4A for Lumin D1.

Should be easy for the sr7. The unit I am using is 5V 12A. They can custom made it at various output voltages.

As mentioned, Paul hynes no longer produce it himself. Production is currently done by a factory headed by David Webbs I think. I think most of the production time goes to the making of custom transformer (by UK Canterbury windings if I am not wrong).

The sr7 is seriously good stuff. As someone here mentioned before, it's no horse run good.

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2015, 12:56 »

Should be easy for the sr7. The unit I am using is 5V 12A. They can custom made it at various output voltages.

As mentioned, Paul hynes no longer produce it himself. Production is currently done by a factory headed by David Webbs I think. I think most of the production time goes to the making of custom transformer (by UK Canterbury windings if I am not wrong).

The sr7 is seriously good stuff. As someone here mentioned before, it's no horse run good.
I googled on the pricing when Paul was doing it still, GBP650.

Offline Instek_88

« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2015, 13:06 »
I googled on the pricing when Paul was doing it still, GBP650.

That's the basic unit and prices had gone slightly up. Additional cost for other upgrades like internal silver wiring, external high current silver wiring, jaeger connector, shipping, GST, and etc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 13:12 by Instek_88 »

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2015, 13:27 »

That's the basic unit and prices had gone slightly up. Additional cost for other upgrades like internal silver wiring, external high current silver wiring, jaeger connector, shipping, GST, and etc.
Yeah, that's what I read too. It's on the high side when x ratio % against Lumin D1 for sure.

Offline Instek_88

« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2015, 13:35 »
Yeah, that's what I read too. It's on the high side when x ratio % against Lumin D1 for sure.

True.

To be frank, I had not heard the Lumin so I am not sure about the VFM issue. But I had always been seriously interested to listen to one.

Sometimes, it may not be the cost ratio issue, but rather the final outcome that is important. The question is the whether the overall price tag cost effective? Sigh, we are all crazy audiophiles.

But I had been playing with streamers for 2-3 years now, and found that infrastructure surrounding the streamer is as equally important as the streamer itself. Unfortunately, the streamer is just the starting cost.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 13:37 by Instek_88 »

Offline milk_vanilla

« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2015, 13:38 »
i was told (not sure how true is this) the KL PSU for Lumin A1, are meant particularly for A1. The voltage and amp. output is built/hardened only for this model, so it may not possible to reuse for other model/electronics, unless the consumption is same. So it didn't pull my trigger to get them that day.

However the uptone PSU, seems they have variable voltage switch/or you could adjust the voltage. And they also have some good feedbacks too on outside discussion portal. Maybe one day i'll get this one ;)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2015, 14:21 »
Be careful.  Don't go overboard buying a power supply that costs more than your player.  If you are pouring $2K for a power supply for D1....you would be better getting the A1 in the first place.

(Audio)

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2015, 14:52 »
True.

To be frank, I had not heard the Lumin so I am not sure about the VFM issue. But I had always been seriously interested to listen to one.

Sometimes, it may not be the cost ratio issue, but rather the final outcome that is important. The question is the whether the overall price tag cost effective? Sigh, we are all crazy audiophiles.

But I had been playing with streamers for 2-3 years now, and found that infrastructure surrounding the streamer is as equally important as the streamer itself. Unfortunately, the streamer is just the starting cost.
I do agree cost ratio can be secondary if the individual's final outcome is to achieve the desirable sounding. For Lumin D1, it is priced at early $2k region, with it's price tag vs US/EU initial indicative pricing, I would say it is not expensive with given fact that it is armed with DAC. It is a stripped down unit from A1/E1 but based on 1 single circuit and PC power adaptor.

Likewise, if I would to compare it against some current streamers like Auralic Aries & Aurender, D1 is pretty attractive as it can perform out of box, you can always to demand more from it by adding an external DAC as it is also armed with Digital out(BNC). That is for crazy Audiophiles :) That goes to early days, Logitech SBT, basis transport but it can be armed with USB DAC and perform well at it's level.

However the uptone PSU, seems they have variable voltage switch/or you could adjust the voltage. And they also have some good feedbacks too on outside discussion portal. Maybe one day i'll get this one ;)
I like Uptone for dual DC outlets. If you are getting it, can I bring my D1 over together with Plixir LPSU for an AB comparison :)

Be careful.  Don't go overboard buying a power supply that costs more than your player.  If you are pouring $2K for a power supply for D1....you would be better getting the A1 in the first place.

(Audio)
+1, I will stick to 30% max for LPSU for D1.