Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 159548 times)

Offline milk_vanilla

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2015, 11:10 »
for my case, I have no PC / standalone mac, sort of. I only have mac air used by wife, and mbp for my personal computer.

And i have no tendency to turn on a pc/jriver everytime i want to listen music. So i dump everything to my Synology which is almost on 24/7, and extract the ISO file's into DSF. and let the lumin app read those files over copper cables.

Once upon a time, i tried to install the minimserver in my MBP, just to compare it against Syno - minimserver. I could tell the difference, especially the noise floor and finer detail. But again, for simplicity sake, it's just for me to playing around. Definetely If you plan to have dedicated machines for your audio collection, you should go for it . Like Audio with his hard core newly built audio server  :P.

If you thinking to buy NAS dedicate for audio only, and you prefer simplicity , you should consider Lumin L1. I heard some positive feedbacks, from lumin fans when they compare it against regular NAS.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:14 by milk_vanilla »

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2015, 11:25 »
Hard to bite L1 for 2TB space after I asked about the pricing at Audio 88. I like the entire casing, sleek and nice but well...hard la.

Offline skong121176

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2015, 11:30 »
ISO2DSD

Audio / Tiktokape...Using JRiver means I need to use a Mac or PC in the chain too? I thought I can survive using the D1, Synology and Lumin iPad App.

Thanks...it's an interesting device D1 but i think the price is too steep  :'( and need to save more

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2015, 11:45 »
What software to extract the SACD ISO?

When you download SACD Ripper, you are presented with a folder with a few batch files.  The folder name is called ISO2DSD folder.  You place your ISO file into this folder.....run the batch file "Extract DST Stereo files", it will run and provide youa new folder of extracted DSF files.   Go to this link to read about it.

https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

(Audio)

Offline skong121176

« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2015, 11:52 »
When you download SACD Ripper, you are presented with a folder with a few batch files.  The folder name is called ISO2DSD folder.  You place your ISO file into this folder.....run the batch file "Extract DST Stereo files", it will run and provide youa new folder of extracted DSF files.   Go to this link to read about it.

https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

(Audio)

SACD ripper is only PC compatible?  I'm using a mac...

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2015, 11:54 »
SACD ripper is only PC compatible?  I'm using a mac...
If you had read it, you will not ask this question.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2015, 12:00 »
Audio, after tagging those DSF files with correct information and cover art, by putting them back to ISO. Will it read correctly in JRiver to resolve the inconsistency in the SACD tagging and the text formats?

No, once you extract the ISO into DSF files, you store it like any AIFF tracks for RBCD.  You don't put them back into the ISO.  The ISO will be your SACD backup.  When we have full 5.1 DAC playback capability, we would like to extract multichannel tracks from the ISO again.   :)

I use mp3tag for my SACD tagging.  Once you extract it is very likely you will get no proper titles, no artwork, no album title.

I normally just put in the artcover, save all 15 track, put in album title, artist name, save all tracks again and then do a web search to get all the song titles accurately (mostly I have issues with chinese songs)....copy and paste in the album track titles one by one and then saved them all.  When it is done, I just move the folder into my content server.   I will remove the ISO file for safe-keeping and thereby avoid having duplicate tracks.

File format will be :-  Content Server folder-> Artist folder-> Album folder -> Tracks.

By the way, there are 2 version of SACD ripper.  PC and Mac.  PC we have bat batch file, Mac we have sh, script file.

(Audio)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2015, 12:03 »
I use a command line sacd_extract which works for Mac as well. Isn't so difficult
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2015, 12:11 »
Thanks Audio. Yes, I'm doing the same, extract from SACD ripper and use mp3tag for tagging, place those DSF files into operating NAS and those SACD ISO(s) into another NAS for safe keeping purpose. Good to know that I'm on the right track.

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2015, 19:11 »
Lumin Owners

I am on iTunes using MM as the server. If I (BIG IF ;D) I hoot D1, do I simply just drag my entire iTunes drive to Synology <Music> folder and be done with it?

Will the metadata still be there e.g. genre, album art etc?

Thx
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline Tiktokape

Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2015, 19:23 »
MM refers to minimserver? Is your MM residing on your Synology NAS? If yes, via the Lumin iPad app, you can locate MM.

For the metadata, I know iTunes is managing it on their own instead of tagging to the files directly. You need to try it to know if it works.

I welcome you to join us soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 19:28 by Tiktokape »

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2015, 19:54 »
MM = Macmini
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2015, 21:42 »
You can try to install MinimServer in your MM by pointing your iTunes library to it. Using the Lumin iPad app and access it. You should know how it will look like when you dump over to your Synology NAS.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2015, 11:50 »
This is why we don't use iTunes from the very start.  They just do things their way , never give the user any chance to understand their structure.  This is how / why the other players are successful.  With a open file structure, the user can understand how to organize their contents , works first time, works everytime.

Will dragging the iTunes folder over to the NAS works?  I think so but I cannot guarantee.

(Audio)

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2015, 19:53 »
Second that, nowadays I will rip my music disc separately, not using iTunes, bad mistake when I started. I'm using standalone software to rip into AIFF for the metadata sake. Everything will pop up nicely whether on iTunes or other media softwares since I'm on both platforms.