Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 150114 times)

Offline SL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2014, 23:25 »
Not sure if A1 can be upgraded to take DSD128 but there will be the S1 model which can. Heard that it may be released soon within a couple of months.

Offline SL

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2014, 00:23 »
Played around with power cords for the Lumin this afternoon. Somewhat different sound from the different cables - I tried the Wireworld Copper, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Was initially using Copper and I thought the sound was good. For some reason, i didn't like silver (muddier sound) and gold (somewhat bright) on the Lumin. Finally settled with the Platinum ( higher resolution but not as bright). So I figured the Lumin is quite sensitive to power cord despite the external power supply. Really looking forward to the upgrade power supply which I ordered and it should arrive in a couple of weeks!

I also played with the DSD up sampling. To my ears, I thought it did smoothen some of the tracks. I can also imagine why some might want to keep sampling rates native to retain the RBCD "excitement". Quite happy with this purchase so far.

Bro Composition, what is the issue with the star ratings? I don't use it much but quite keen to find out how it is useful. Does it reset the ratings randomly? I loaded some tracks and thought I saw some ratings next to them. Not sure they got there. I didn't pay much attention to them.

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2014, 18:13 »
Sorry to hear this Bro Composition. Still brewing mine...love it. In fact I just ordered the power supply upgrade together with upgraded umbilical power cord. Supposed to take it to the next level.

Hello SL, is this the Kenneth Lau version, and did you go for the 7N OFC or the OCC silver plated version?  Any thoughts on the magnitude of improvement to the sound?

Not sure if A1 can be upgraded to take DSD128 but there will be the S1 model which can. Heard that it may be released soon within a couple of months.

The S1 is out now, with 4 Sabre ES9018 chips in place of the 2 Wolfsons and an upgraded PSU (the improvements appear to be bigger and upgraded caps).  Pricing is supposed to be USD15k, which is more than twice that of the A1 (which remains at USD7.2k)

Someone from CA has posted a link to the internal photos of the S1; see http://www.feversound1.com/140612-lumin-s1/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 18:23 by nfnc »

Offline SL

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2014, 22:48 »
I received the Kenneth Lau Ultimate LPS on Sat. Been running in the unit (together with Lumin) since. Preliminary impression is that the sound signature is slightly different but will reserve further comments until fully burn in. Packaging and construction is good and matches the Lumin. it came with the silver hand braided umbilical cord so I'm effectively running that in too.

Just bought the Netgear switch to replace my D Link switch. The Netgear runs on 12V standard DC jack and I realized I can power it with the DC outlet from my CSE ISO transformer. Trying to see if that makes a difference too.

Offline SL

« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2014, 23:53 »
Just popped into my AV room to listen to my setup still burning in (Lumin+upgraded power supply+silver cable+new net gear GS308 switch).

Nice rich sound with holographic vocals. Wonderful. Looking forward to full burn in.

Offline SL

« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2014, 23:59 »
Nfnc, mine is the AG silver O type transformer. Recommended by KL himself.

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2014, 00:44 »
Thanks, SL. 

Will probably get the KL PSU at some stage, once the A1 has fully burned in.  Quite a number of Lumin A1 users are using it, including the Shunyata founder/owner, who had this to say:

"UPGRADE: The Kenneth Lau power supply
This power supply is a definite upgrade to the standard Lumin power supply. It substantially improves dynamic contrast and reduces opacity. It cleans up the bass significantly and improves pace, rhythm and timing. I did not hear any downside to vocals or anything else for that matter. All positives and worth the price. If you are looking to replace a top transport and DAC you will want this power supply."

Have been informed that the S1 PSU is even better than the KL PSU but understand that Lumin no longer plans to sell that as a separate item.  Then again, it could have cost more than the KL PSU.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47 »
The new S1 is proced at US$15K.   Quite amazing.

I don't think I will go that route unless they are willing to upgrade my A1.

(Audio)

Offline SL

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2014, 20:29 »
Upgrade option for A1 would be interesting. Let's see how the S1 sounds when it's out. Quite happy with it especially the ease of playing DSD files.....for now at least :)

Offline RAYRAY

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2014, 20:36 »
Anyone know where to listen a Lumin T1 locally? Thanks.

Offline Hass

« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2014, 09:16 »
anyone knows if Lumin will be at ISSE?

Offline mitkey

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2014, 18:24 »
I received the Kenneth Lau Ultimate LPS on Sat. Been running in the unit (together with Lumin) since. Preliminary impression is that the sound signature is slightly different but will reserve further comments until fully burn in. Packaging and construction is good and matches the Lumin. it came with the silver hand braided umbilical cord so I'm effectively running that in too.

Just bought the Netgear switch to replace my D Link switch. The Netgear runs on 12V standard DC jack and I realized I can power it with the DC outlet from my CSE ISO transformer. Trying to see if that makes a difference too.

Can you pm the price of Ken Lau LPS. did u send in the stock power to upgrade or a totally new one?

is the difference obvious.
My Gears : PPA V3, Jplay dual PC - MSB Analog - Audio-gd C1 SE - Dynaudio C1
Power : Acoustic Revive RTP-6 Ultimate
Interconnect : AET Orpheus DG75| AET SIN XLR EVO | AET SCR AC SP
Power cord : AET Evidence AC | SIN AC EVD | SCR AC EVD | HIN AC EVD
Acc : Finite Element Ceraball | ATS tuning feet | AET

Offline SL

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2014, 08:06 »
Hi Mitkey, sent PM.

Offline shsoh

• .:..:..:..:..:..:.
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2014, 20:08 »
Just curious, what happens if you play DSD 128 files on the A1? Does it play at a downsampled rate of DSD 64?

Online Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2015, 21:00 »
Hi Guys,

Bought Lumin D1 recently, as the given power adaptor is standard type. Would like to look into Linear PSU to give more quality juice to my D1. Any recommendation aside from Kenneth Lau's LPSU and Sound Affairs' LPSU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk