Author Topic: Lumin Audiophile Network Player  (Read 192917 times)

Offline mingzhen

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lumin Audiophile Network Player
« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2020, 15:21 »
Hi Peter thanks for your explanation.
Can you tell me what are the differences for U1 & U1 Mini? Especially in term of sound quality? Is it a significant difference in SQ? The reason I ask is because the price is 3 times difference, try to justify the cost of upgrading :)

No.  We do not have a high power processor in Lumin.  Some manufacturers advertise high power processor as a feature, but there is a different school that believes higher power is not necessarily better for SQ so they underclock the CPU in their products.  It's also not hard to find people underclock and undervolt the PC for audio.

Offline wklie

« Reply #676 on: May 27, 2020, 10:01 »
U1 vs U1 MINI: external LPS vs internal SMPS, heavy aluminium chassis, DSD512 vs DSD256 for Linux native DSD compatible USB DAC

U1 MINI has great cost performance.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline wklie

« Reply #677 on: June 04, 2020, 10:55 »
Leedh Processing Volume (an EUR5000 optional feature from another manufacturer) is now available as a free upgrade for Lumin product line:

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/lumin8/
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline chimaera1982

• Snr Member
« Reply #678 on: June 04, 2020, 22:14 »
I just upgraded my Lumin U1 mini to the latest firmware with the LEEDH processing volume. Haven't had a chance to try as I use an integrated amp. So volume control is done there.
I'll try though to control volume from the Lumin to see the difference.

Offline wklie

« Reply #679 on: June 05, 2020, 17:17 »
See if you can find a unity gain position of your integrated amp.  With the integrated amp set to unity gain (or HT Bypass), you can compare the Leedh Processing Volume against the integrated amp volume.
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #680 on: June 05, 2020, 17:57 »
See if you can find a unity gain position of your integrated amp.  With the integrated amp set to unity gain (or HT Bypass), you can compare the Leedh Processing Volume against the integrated amp volume.

Actually the best volume position for the amp will be at max volume.  This give the best signal to noise ratio.  Make sure you set the Lumin volume at zero volume before proceeding to test.

(Audio)

Offline richard_crl032

• Snr Member
« Reply #681 on: June 05, 2020, 18:41 »
Hi,

Using both usb bridge signature and recently acquired Nuprime omnia S1 ... looking for upgrade and just got a synology NAS which seems not preferred to QNAP with Jriver and SPF options.

Not into separate computer,  Roon, Ipad etc. and just looking at standalone player with standalone control app on my mobile phone like the usb bridge and omnia S1.

However, understand that for an android phone user, I am at a disadvantage ? No plan for non supporter of dead bulky founder and self proclaimed existing gay CEO ?

U1 and U1 mini will be what I should looking and anyone can help advise expected subjective improvement in their similarly subjective experience in their system of both over usb bridge signature and omnia S1 ?

Many thanks and advance.

Cheers.

Richard

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #682 on: June 06, 2020, 12:26 »
Hi Richard,

I cannot comment on your usb bridge signature and Nuprime omnia S1 as I have not heard any of these.

What I can comment as a user of LUMIN app is both the iOS and Android apps serves their intended purpose well in terms of user friendliness and functionalities.

I use iOS version of LUMIN app on my iPad and Android on my HP.

If you r going to use LUMIN with your own DAC, then U1 or U1 Mini are the transports you should consider.

As for your Synology NAS which doesn’t have SFP options, you can still use a pair of FMC or 1 FMC with a Network Switch with SFP ports to improve the SQ on the network aspects.

Lastly, LUMIN provides end users with a seamless way of updating firmware via internet unlike others which requires the hassle to manually download firmwares into USB Sticks and plugging into the devices.

Hi,

Using both usb bridge signature and recently acquired Nuprime omnia S1 ... looking for upgrade and just got a synology NAS which seems not preferred to QNAP with Jriver and SPF options.

Not into separate computer,  Roon, Ipad etc. and just looking at standalone player with standalone control app on my mobile phone like the usb bridge and omnia S1.

However, understand that for an android phone user, I am at a disadvantage ? No plan for non supporter of dead bulky founder and self proclaimed existing gay CEO ?

U1 and U1 mini will be what I should looking and anyone can help advise expected subjective improvement in their similarly subjective experience in their system of both over usb bridge signature and omnia S1 ?

Many thanks and advance.

Cheers.

Richard
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline wklie

« Reply #683 on: June 10, 2020, 15:06 »
This is an evaluation of Lumin X1 Leedh Processing Volume by Wesley Miaw of Neko Audio LLC:

I strongly prefer the new firmware with Leedh Processing Volume. There is less blurriness / quicker decay and less masking of sounds across the entire audible spectrum. The overall presentation is more balanced (more midrange presence compared to the old firmware)—I suspect because there is less distortion which was creating more noticeable additional energy in the bass and treble. With better detail retrieval and clarity, it is much easier to understand vocals and to hear minute details that were previously hidden.

That being said, I can imagine some people who do not listen to those things wondering where the bass went, having become used to or to expect more bass presence at the expense of accuracy and precision. And maybe also feeling like there’s less “air” because the treble has been cleaned up.

Sounds are more realistic with the new firmware.

My process was to listen to a minute or two from each track of my test playlist, sequentially, using the old firmware 12. I did this twice, to get acclimated to the old firmware sound and ensure it wasn’t just listening to a track a second time that was changing what I heard.

I then switched to the new firmware with Leedh Processing Volume and listened to each track again, sequentially, for a minute or two. Then switched back to the old firmware, and finally again to the new firmware as a final confirmation.

Lumin X1 -> Lumin AMP -> Magico M2. The volume was set at 55/100 the entire time. The main listening position is about 9’ from the speakers, arranged so my ears are on-axis with the tweeters. The top of the seat back is below my ears to minimize immediate reflections. Room is heavily treated so reflections are minimized. Rear surface is a blackout curtain about 5’ away from the main listening position.

Here is my test playlist. I use these tracks because they highlight / focus on specific things, and can reveal weaknesses.

Weight of the World / 壊レタ世界ノ歌
河野万里奈 NieR:Automata Original Soundtrack

神様のいうとおり
いしわたり淳治 & 砂原良徳 + やくしまるえつこ 神様のいうとおり

Cups (Pitch Perfect's “When I'm Gone”) (Pop Version)
Anna Kendrick Ultimate Pitch Perfect

ラビリンス (Album Mix)
MONDO GROSSO 何度でも新しく生まれる

BT This Binary Universe

The Demon God
Joe Hisaishi Princess Mononoke

Madder
Groove Armada Lovebox

Teardrop
Massive Attack Collected

Highly Strung
Orianthi Believe

goodblue
school food punishment amp-reflection

Force [Live]
Superfly Force

Prokofiev: Piano Concerto #2 In G Minor, Op. 16 - 3. Intermezzo: Allegro Moderato
Yuja Wang; Gustavo Dudamel: Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra Of Venezuela Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto #3; Prokofiev: Piano Concerto #2

기억 (Original Mix)
윤하 Someday

意味/無/ジュニーク・ニコール
SQUARE ENIX NieR:Automata Original Soundtrack

片翼の天使
植松伸夫 Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY

Magic Hour
Ahn Trio Lullaby For My Favourite Insomniac
Peter Lie
LUMIN Firmware Lead

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal