Author Topic: Power Conditioner - How useful in Singapore.  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Justin07

• I'm a llama!
Power Conditioner - How useful in Singapore.
« on: April 14, 2003, 10:42 »
Guys.. Been lurking around for a while.
But... something got me intrigued.
Was recommeded to use a power conditioner for my setup. This is to make sure that my power supply is regular.
My question is:
How useful is this here in Singapore?
How many percent improvement in sound quality as compared to using normal direct power supply.
Which is better, using better powercables (i.e., expensive ones) or using the line conditioner.
(I know... some might say, use both, but I am on a VERY TIGHT budget).....
 All replies appreciated.
Thanks in advanced!!!

Offline Khooktd

• There is an ART to everything that is SCIENCE....
    • Photos! Photos! Photos!
Re:Power Conditioner - How useful in Singapore.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 11:02 »
Sensitive topic.......you will probably get strong views.  ;)

If you are on a VERY TIGHT budget, i suggest you do not venture into these "conditioner/power cord" arena.

The "good" ones are nowhere "cheap" and the "cheaper" conditioners are much more detrimental to sound than what they claim to enhance.  Even "expensive" ones do not guarantee good results.

Probably the single suggestion i will support is for you to install a dedicated power line from your ELCB. Cost a few hundreds at most.

As to whether what kinds of improvement you will get dabbling with power conditioning in SGP, my experience has been that these do help tremendously in lowering noise floor, creating a blacker background and especially in improving your soundstaging.  

But then again, my current place is physically impossible to install dedicated lines without disturbing WAF and looking at the $$$ spent on power regenerators/conditioners/power cords is very  :'(

My biased 2 cents..... ;D
but is there SCIENCE to every piece of ART?

Offline TOOL

• I love Chopin
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 11:08 »
my view is to..

1. agree with Khooktd, install dedicated lines from the ELCB. Take care to try and isolate the breaker for hifi from the rest of the breakers and run the cables isolated from all other cable runs in your home, if possible.

2. Use the money to get a good amp, focusing on one that has very good power supply regulation. Space saving and you can gain overall improvement in most other areas too.

Offline hw

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 13:11 »
Yes, go for the dedicated line. Otherwise, you can try the "DIY Quietline" which is a little contraption that you make which "cleans" the power supply from all the nasty interference :)

Offline Justin07

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 14:00 »
I am using a cyrus 3 int. amp with a PSX-R power supply.  I understand that this is supposed to regulate the power supplied to the amp.
As for the ELCB... Aiyoh.. got to check with the electrician..... This could prove interesting.
Tool......As for DIY quiteline.... how and where do I get it....

Khooktd... What power conditioner U are currently using right now?

Justin

Offline Khooktd

• There is an ART to everything that is SCIENCE....
    • Photos! Photos! Photos!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 14:21 »
Khooktd... What power conditioner U are currently using right now?

I am currently using combinations of PS Audio Powerplant P300 and High Current Ultimate Outlets.
but is there SCIENCE to every piece of ART?

Offline sinwen

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 15:27 »
I am very interested to install dedicated lines for hifi as I do some minor house reno.  Please suggest any good electrician who can do a good job.

Offline ongus

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 15:58 »
My question is:
How useful is this here in Singapore?
How many percent improvement in sound quality as compared to using normal direct power supply.
Which is better, using better powercables (i.e., expensive ones) or using the line conditioner.
(I know... some might say, use both, but I am on a VERY TIGHT budget).....
My two cents:

Is it needed? No.

Why? Because the dc regulation is many times more important than ac regulation. Your amp should be good enough to work in 200-260v ac.

Don't believe me? Ask any amp designer.

Do the power conditioners make a difference? Yes. Any thing in a system should make a difference. In my place even the placement of an empty box in difference areas of the same room makes a difference! Listening to the same song on the same system during different hours of the day is different too!

Is it (power conditioners) a good or a bad difference? Mostly bad. Not entirely, but mostly. Hence there is really no need for one in Spore.

Why is it a bad? I cannot speak for PS Audio power plants but the ones I used limited the dynamics - music becomes staid instead of bouncy - and soundstage narrowed. In a nutshell, you hear less, parly because these things cut off everything beyond a certain freq eg 18kHz (and this makes the system quieter). Several equipment manufacturers, incl Naim and Gryphon, specifically discouraged the use of conditioners, filters, regulators etc. I know of several people who have bought, even upgraded and later sold their PS Audio power plants. Quietly in the last case.

Is it better then to use a "better" power cord? In my limited experience, no need. Just use whatever if given by the equipment manufacturer. If the manufacturer wanted you to use it, it will give it to you, sometimes as an upgrade but it will be reasonably priced (measured as a percentage of equipment cost). Eg Burmester at present supplies a power cord that is not the normal run of the mill type for their equipment when you purchase a new piece.

Why? As mentioned earlier, anything incl power cord that is different from the one supplied will make a difference. You are better off saving the money to upgrade your equipment incl racks, and environment. If you go to SLS and SLT and get twenty difference power cords at $5/piece, they all sound different and good in their own way. Take your pick - Belden, Pirelli, Ericsson, Concordia, Kawasaki, Patelec, I-Sheng are all cable manufacturers (and they do not swindle consumers with their fancy cables, which cannot be said about most after market power cord companies). They all sound different and good but you need to pick the right one for your system to sound tonally "right".

Do you know anything about ac polarity? This has a greater impact on sound that merely power cords
http://www.boundforsound.com/tweak.htm

hifi1

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 15:44 »
See any topic of this nature will get u experiences from everyone that is diff.  Even 2 person in the same room can hear differently and u get people who swear that this work and another who swears that it does not.

The best is to try anything before u buy whether it is cdp, amps, speakers, cables, power cords/conditioners and even cds!!!  

If u ask ongus, he spends 98% of his system on hardware not including cables and that spoke of his preferences, that cables are more importantly matched that packaged!

If u ask me, I spend 15% of my budget on cables/power cords and that showed in my preferences.  Others have diff experiences but I am sure most enjoy their system.  So u have to plunge slowly and not overspend becos your experience may be like ongus finally.

Not to mention our dear group of Naimies which uses just cables provided by the manufacturers (and recommended by them only) and enjoy the type of loyalty that other manufacturers dreamt of.

Know more folks and borrow to try be4 buying is the best advise I can give.

Cheers

Offline TOOL

• I love Chopin
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 19:01 »
1. The best is to try anything before u buy whether it is cdp, amps, speakers, cables, power cords/conditioners and even cds!!!  

2. Know more folks and borrow to try be4 buying is the best advise I can give.

Point 1 is so very true. If you can't fulfill point 1, look at Point 2.

If you have the time or are investing heavily, maybe it may be a good idea to think a little WHY you are hearing what you are hearing. The root reason may surprise you once in a while. :)

Offline Justin07

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 20:51 »
Good Pointers guys.....
Guess it is a matter of not knowing what to expect.
Have not have the experience to compare between different systems.

And most importantly, not knowing WHY I am hearing what I am hearing...

Need to go out and check out systems with and without, and to make decisions based on that.
No offence to anyone.