Author Topic: Oppo 103D + 105D discussion thread (Darbee Edition)  (Read 158451 times)

Offline SLT

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Oppo 103D discussion thread (Darbee Edition)
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 01:59 »
Is there any place to demo the darbee effect?

Yes, at these 3 places:

Anson Audio, #01-19 The Adelphi, 1 Coleman Street, Tel: +65 68831020
Sound Affairs, #02-34/35, 100 Beach Road, Shaw Tower, Tel: +65 96949704
AV Intelligence, 73 Kim Yam Road, #01-01, Tel: +65 6887 3789

SLT
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:28 by SLT »
Oppo Digital, Schiit Audio, MrSpeakers Mad Dog, Smyth Research, Nuforce, Onsia, Live-Wall, Darbee

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 14:27 »

More later...
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline gchuva

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 15:57 »
I found out that I can connect a media player like Popcorn to 103D and utilised the darbee processing. So not to bad afterall as we probably have 1 or 2 more video sources. The downside is that 103D will not output DTS MA or True HD audio and only LPCM  but I think its good enough.

If the above works well then I think its more cost effective versus buying a standalone Darblet.

The above assumes there are visual benefits of having Darbee vs Marvell in 103.

Do people generally run there cable TV through the OPPO HDMI input?  I find it a hassle to switch

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 16:17 »
gchuva

I dont watch cable TV much so cannot comment on the benefits of passing the video into Oppo.

However I see a benefit of using only one direct HDMI to the display be it TV or projector from Oppo and Oppo sent the other HDMI out to AVR for audio duties. The downside is that you dont have on screen display of your AVR on your TV for you to do settings.

Personally I am intending to connect other video source (for me it will be my media player) to the Oppo HDMI input to harness the processing power of Oppo whether its Darbee, Qdeo or whatever.

Thx
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline gchuva

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 16:40 »
gchuva

I dont watch cable TV much so cannot comment on the benefits of passing the video into Oppo.

However I see a benefit of using only one direct HDMI to the display be it TV or projector from Oppo and Oppo sent the other HDMI out to AVR for audio duties. The downside is that you dont have on screen display of your AVR on your TV for you to do settings.

Personally I am intending to connect other video source (for me it will be my media player) to the Oppo HDMI input to harness the processing power of Oppo whether its Darbee, Qdeo or whatever.

Thx

What is the benefit of splitting HDMI video and audio?  My concern is also logistical.  Right now I can switch sources via one button on my remote

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 22:37 »

More later...

what is your setting on this?  I also have a quick test on my set, result quite satisfying..  :)

I need to upgrade the firmware on the disc then will show the darbee.
Actually when I open the box, that disc is just left on top of the CD paper holder. not inside the CD paper holder.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 08:13 »
50%, Hi Def mode.
What you use is dependent on your needs..

Home DarbeeVision

FAQ Darblet DVP 5000 DarbeeVision

Where should I place the Darblet in my setup?

The best place for the Darblet is right before your display. That  way, if you have a switcher or Audio/Video receiver, whatever the  switcher selects will go through the Darblet.

Some early reviews of their standalone models:

The DarbeeVision Darblet

What It Does

According to the literature available on the company’s web site, the Darblet will “embed real depth cues in digital images, causing enhanced perception of object shape and ultra clarity.”  That’s a fancy way of saying that it adjusts the contrast, luminance  and chrominance in a video signal to make the image appear sharper and  more detailed.

Darbee Visual Presence - Darblet Model DVP 5000 - Review

Now in a Blu Ray player:

OPPO BDP-103D Blu-ray Disc Player

The Darbee Difference

"It's like lifting a veil."  Darbee's  Visual Presence™ technology establishes a fundamental breakthrough for  image realism. By embedding stereoscopic depth information generated  from a patented human-vision-based model into 2D or 3D video, it  provides greater clarity and increases the perception of depth resulting  in a more dynamic, lifelike experience. The amount of processing is  adjustable, allowing you to customize the visual enhancement to your  particular taste. More information about Darbee's Visual Presence™  technology can be found here.

My gear:

Offline DizzyD

• I am a HTphile !
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 09:51 »
gchua and other potential owners

Some might feel its a purist approach in splitting audio and video into seperate HDMI outputs. I probably will not do it as I need OSD on my projector to calibate receiver if needed.

YMMV

So far my experience with 103D has been nothing short of wonderful. I am using HIDef 60% given that my Epson PJ is not as sharp anymore but I dont see artifects being exaggarated. I am coming from a Oppo 83 user so I cannot comment much on the comparison with non Darbee 103.

However for 103D, you can simply pause the video and switch in and out of Darbee easily. I do find MATRERIAL improvement so far on the clips I am watching. The Art of Flight clip is astounishing to say the least. Again YMMV as some prefer purist unaltered video.

Two further plus points for me.

1) I am able to output DSD from HDMI2 and HDMI1 is not impacted by that configuration and get output bluray bitstream audio. So I can hear the glorious DSD from SACD and selecting another input on my receiver. Of course this is expected but the Philips player can't do it. It forces the DSD and Bluray bitstream on HDMI2.

2) I am using Oppo 103D to accept HDMI in from my Dune player and I can utilise the darbee and VRS processing of Oppo. I am using HDMI input back. There is one more HDMI input in the front panel but I guess it is unsightly if I use that one too for other sources. The HDMI in only takes in LPCM and not bitstream from Dune or any other media players. To me I have no issues with that.

Personally I think the 2nd point is a big plus which I know might not be news to existing 103 owners. Getting 103D is cheaper than getting a stand alone darbee and still able to two more video inputs.

To sum it, I am a super happy camper.
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 17:41 »
gchua and other potential owners

Some might feel its a purist approach in splitting audio and video into seperate HDMI outputs. I probably will not do it as I need OSD on my projector to calibate receiver if needed.

YMMV

So far my experience with 103D has been nothing short of wonderful. I am using HIDef 60% given that my Epson PJ is not as sharp anymore but I dont see artifects being exaggarated. I am coming from a Oppo 83 user so I cannot comment much on the comparison with non Darbee 103.

However for 103D, you can simply pause the video and switch in and out of Darbee easily. I do find MATRERIAL improvement so far on the clips I am watching. The Art of Flight clip is astounishing to say the least. Again YMMV as some prefer purist unaltered video.

Two further plus points for me.

1) I am able to output DSD from HDMI2 and HDMI1 is not impacted by that configuration and get output bluray bitstream audio. So I can hear the glorious DSD from SACD and selecting another input on my receiver. Of course this is expected but the Philips player can't do it. It forces the DSD and Bluray bitstream on HDMI2.

2) I am using Oppo 103D to accept HDMI in from my Dune player and I can utilise the darbee and VRS processing of Oppo. I am using HDMI input back. There is one more HDMI input in the front panel but I guess it is unsightly if I use that one too for other sources. The HDMI in only takes in LPCM and not bitstream from Dune or any other media players. To me I have no issues with that.

Personally I think the 2nd point is a big plus which I know might not be news to existing 103 owners. Getting 103D is cheaper than getting a stand alone darbee and still able to two more video inputs.

To sum it, I am a super happy camper.

I'm glad you are happy with your new purchase.

Offline Liv2golf

• Snr Member
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 21:11 »
 Pardon my newbie question but can this darbee 103D accept output signal from starhub box and mac mini to harness the image processor to get better PQ than if I were to connect the 2 to my AVR

Offline chaozhoi

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 22:58 »
so if 50% high def on the oppo and 50% high def with darbee darblet at receiver output be equivalent to 75%? Anyone with Darblet and 103D to try out the difference if any?

Offline Ng3

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 23:11 »
Think u need to connect this 2 unit to Oppo then output to avr.
Else u can get a darbee. Connect frm avr out to darbee & output to your monitor

Pardon my newbie question but can this darbee 103D accept output signal from starhub box and mac mini to harness the image processor to get better PQ than if I were to connect the 2 to my AVR

Offline petetherock

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 23:24 »

More info more help. Who know what amp you have and what video chip it uses??
In theory you can process any signal from a source, but remember, garbage in, garbage out.
If the source is poor, you can't make silk purses out of pigs' ears...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 23:34 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline DizzyD

• I am a HTphile !
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 09:52 »

An idea..and possibly flawed...

Perhaps connect the macmini and starhub to AVR and AVR HDMI out to 103D and then send the 103D video to display using HDMI1 and HDMI2 feeding back to AVR. Enable split A/V in 103D.   

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 13:03 »
I wonder if additional video mod on this will yield anymore improvements.