Author Topic: Oppo 103D + 105D discussion thread (Darbee Edition)  (Read 19326 times)

Offline petetherock

• Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Oppo 103D + 105D discussion thread (Darbee Edition)
« on: October 08, 2013, 22:27 »
New kid on the block...

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103D-Overview.aspx

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/blu-ray-players/BDP-103D.aspx
OPPO BDP-103D "It's like lifting a veil."  Darbee's Visual Presence™ technology establishes a fundamental breakthrough for image realism. By embedding stereoscopic depth information generated from a patented human-vision-based model into 2D or 3D video, it provides greater clarity and increases the perception of depth resulting in a more dynamic, lifelike experience. The amount of processing is adjustable, allowing you to customise the visual enhancement to your particular taste. More information about Darbee's Visual Presence™ technology can be found here.

Enhanced Video Quality 

• 4K Up-scaling - Enhance the home theatre experience with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p by up-scaling all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution
  • DVD Up-Conversion - Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform the standard definition image on DVDs to high definition output on your TV.

• Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-103D features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K.
  • True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-103D can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored DVDs and output 1080p 24Hz.
  • Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, the BDP-103D offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.

• Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-103D supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles.
  • Vertical Stretch Mode - For customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom options include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display.
  • Advanced Picture Control - Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color and contrast enhancements.  The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.
High Fidelity Audio  
  • Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment.  The BDP-103D supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analogue audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported
  • DTS-HD Master Audio™- DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1 channels that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-103D supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.)

• 7.1-Channel Analogue Output - Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal to connect to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The BDP-103D delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience. For users with stereo speakers, the 7.1-channel analogue output can be configured to a stereo down-mix mode.
  • Digital Optical and Coaxial Outputs- For simple and easy connection to more traditional A/V receivers, the BDP-103D features both optical and coaxial outputs for digital audio.
  • Rigid Chassis Construction - Built around a steel chassis, aluminium faceplate, and center-mounted disc loader, the BDP-103D is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favorite media.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:12 by petetherock »
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS INSTEAD OF SENDING A PM, MORE CAN LEARN THAT WAY
My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2013/12/my-setup-12-2013.html

Offline Doggie Howser

Re: Oppo 103D discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 22:38 »
The standalone Darbee only supports FullHD. Does this Darbee embedded in the Oppo now support 4K? Or does it run in FullHD only?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline SLT

Re: Oppo 103D discussion thread (Darbee Edition)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00 »
The standalone Darbee only supports FullHD. Does this Darbee embedded in the Oppo now support 4K? Or does it run in FullHD only?
The 4k upscaling is done by the Silicon Image VRS Clear View chip, which is after the Darbee processor, so you still get to enjoy the benefits of Darbee even if you upscale to 4k.

SLT
Oppo Digital, Schiit Audio, MrSpeakers Mad Dog, Smyth Research, Nuforce, Onsia, Live-Wall, Darbee

Online desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:03 »
Looking sharp there...

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:06 »
You can see the strategy of Oppo...amalgamate new or leading technology startup with their own products...first we have NuForce edition on the Oppo 83SE...now going for the Darbee Edition of Oppo 103D...I presume 'D' denotes "Darbee" edition.

Offline DizzyD

• I am a HTphile !
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:03 »
SLT

May I know what is the selling price for this and when is it available?

Thanks!
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Popcornhour A410 II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II Mirage Dipoles

Offline AB Chan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 00:24 »
Wonder why OPPO has removed the Qdeo processor and replaced it with Silicon Image's VRS ClearView processor in the 103D? Is the VRS a better processor than the Qdeo?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 06:55 »

Wonder why OPPO has removed the Qdeo processor and replaced it with Silicon Image's VRS ClearView processor in the 103D? Is the VRS a better processor than the Qdeo?

That was done when moving from 9x to 10x, no?
End of Line - Derezzed

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 06:56 »

compatibility issues perhaps? Or unable to reach am agreement between darbee,  Oppo and Marvell?

Sent from Sony Xperia Z Ultra using Tapatalk

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 07:01 »
compatibility issues perhaps? Or unable to reach am agreement between darbee,  Oppo and Marvell?

I still remember once there was an article about the myriad of technology and software been implemented in a single product and does truly bring out the best in the quality,  a term loosely used here...Marvell, Silicon Image and Darbee all have one thing in common....To make the picture as perfect as possible. But will paying more justify what consumers can really see?

Offline petetherock

• Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 07:43 »
I still remember once there was an article about the myriad of technology and software been implemented in a single product and does truly bring out the best in the quality,  a term loosely used here...Marvell, Silicon Image and Darbee all have one thing in common....To make the picture as perfect as possible. But will paying more justify what consumers can really see?

I think we tried to settle this earlier in a shootout, and these video chips help more for those still on DVDs and those with massive screens.
For the typical home owner, with a small TV, watching Blu Rays only, it may not matter much.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS INSTEAD OF SENDING A PM, MORE CAN LEARN THAT WAY
My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2013/12/my-setup-12-2013.html

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 07:51 »
I think we tried to settle this earlier in a shootout, and these video chips help more for those still on DVDs and those with massive screens.
For the typical home owner, with a small TV, watching Blu Rays only, it may not matter much.

My point exactly...for a full 1080p bluray movie...the benefits may not be that "huge". Now many of us still purchase DVD version of the movie...considering that the bluray version is reasonably priced these days.

Another conundrum faced during the advent of Silicon Image, VPS, Faroudja etc...the projector has similar technology implemented and the question alot of people asked is ... "if my dvd/bluray player has this video processing feature then which one is better? should I let me projector do the job or disable the VP function in my bluray player?"

Online desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54 »
By the way...this is not about gunning down the new Oppo 103D unit, this is just some of my thoughts...FWIW I think for an extra 100 bucks IIRC, I think its a reasonable investment if one wishes to see how Darbee's proprietary VP does wonders to the PQ :)

Offline SLT

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:53 by SLT »
Oppo Digital, Schiit Audio, MrSpeakers Mad Dog, Smyth Research, Nuforce, Onsia, Live-Wall, Darbee

Offline AB Chan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:37 »
By the way...this is not about gunning down the new Oppo 103D unit, this is just some of my thoughts...FWIW I think for an extra 100 bucks IIRC, I think its a reasonable investment if one wishes to see how Darbee's proprietary VP does wonders to the PQ :)

+1
The standalone Darblet in the US is about half the price of the 103D. The 103D would be better value I guess.