Author Topic: Drum - 100 to 200+Hz range  (Read 1590 times)

Offline audiovideo

• Trade Count: (0)
Drum - 100 to 200+Hz range
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:44 »
I believe F12 has taken care anything below 100Hz
but I suspect drum between 100 to 200Hz I cannot hear clearly
is it my whafedale diamond 9 bookshelf too weak?

Need expert advice
Thanks

Offline dXter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Drum - 100 to 200+Hz range
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 13:22 »
You might have a dip in that freq range in your listening position?

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 13:38 »
Hi,

I have considered the same question myself in various forms. It depends on what is your expectation and reference, that the current setup feels weak in comparison.

Are you comparing to a live band PA system sound? These systems are usually EQ-ed to sound punchy and dynamic, never a flat frequency response. Quite different from HI-FI approach.

At what listening levels are you experiencing the deficiency? Remember the loudness curve, our ears are less sensitive to bass frequencies, hence the 'loudness' EQ of old and the dynamic EQs of new equipment to boost bass at low levels.

Another angle could be the integration between the sub and the mains, approximately the 100-200Hz, can sound boomy if the phase and distance setup is not matching.

Of course, there is a limit to what a 6 in woofer in a 2 way bookshelf can do...

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 13:42 »
Could be in your bass management too, or crossover slopes even, but most likely is your room probably sucking out in the missing range. Try moving the sub...subwoofer crawl. Move yr speakers maybe too. Mark wher things are before you start so you have a reference point, masking tape is good
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal