Author Topic: Soundbar discussion thread  (Read 24177 times)

Offline wcseow

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Soundbar discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 20:31 »
Hi
Is the Denon HEOS bar available in Singapore now?
Thinking of trying that one out..:)

Offline tuakong

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 12:10 »
The release of Dolby Atmos soundbar is sooooo slow apart from LG, Samsung,Onkyo and Sony
I am also considering the Sony SB but the price and unconfirmed talk about future DTS/DTS:X upgrade is troubling
Now watching my movies via TV cos no room for separates

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 21:48 »
Bro
A soundbar is typically employed when WAF matters more than sound. When you go up the food chain, it doesn't make the surround experience that much better, if your room can't carry the needed reflections to make the sound more enveloping. Adding Atmos will attempt to use more reflections to surround you with sound. However if your room is open on one side, has a big glass pane, unusually high ceilings or other exceptions to the ideal room that is used for demos for such soundbars, you should temper your expectations.

Sometimes a basic two channel works great. I would even say a three channel : left, centre and right will suffice. The centre and the subwoofer do the most work in any HT system. The added surround effects are simply a bonus to enhance the mood and give you more of the cinematic effect.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

psychobilly

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 22:24 »
Pete, I am also considering separates but getting the WAF could be another challenge

My place is open-concept with one side of the Living room near the windows and other side opened to the kitchen...no glass panel/doors

I was looking bat MA Bronze 2 for fronts with a Center speaker & sub
Looking at a mid-level entry 7.1 AV receiver to drive all the speakers

Offline wcseow

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 22:51 »
Pretty much my situation too as I am moving to smaller place. Currently having ceiling mounted Adiva Tis and Micro Tis in my living room room and bedroom.

1. My living room in the new place is those "portrait" layout for dining/living area. Thus thinking of putting in LCR+sub as it seems no much space for rears.
2. My bedroom is similar to psychobilly living room setup, one side window and the other facing the bathroom (erm). Thinking of doing a LCR+sub or sound bar(HEOS bar) there
3. Study room is smallish (2m x  2.7m), primarily used for console gaming. Thus will like to have sound bars like HEOS bar.
4. Internet radio is important to us, looks like HEOS bar is so far that has this inbuilt?

P.S. Lol...Peng's STRADAs is very tempting....:)

Online petetherock

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 00:21 »
Pete, I am also considering separates but getting the WAF could be another challenge

My place is open-concept with one side of the Living room near the windows and other side opened to the kitchen...no glass panel/doors

Our choices are based on our homes and our WAF plays a role. Buy what your wife allows. Happy wife, happy life.
The sound and the effects are secondary to that.
All the best

My gear:

Offline m0j0_vin

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 00:39 »
Our choices are based on our homes and our WAF plays a role. Buy what your wife allows. Happy wife, happy life.
The sound and the effects are secondary to that.
All the best

+1. Also try to get your wife involved in the selection and demos. This was the best decision I've made. When she heard how good one can sound from another, she gave approval to the better one even if it was not aesthetically pleasing to her at first. Now she always wants to hear when I tell her I want to buy something.  If it doesn't sound good to her, no approval. At least now she bases her decision on sound quality.

Online petetherock

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37 »

BTW, sent you a pm - if you are open to other speakers, I have new Ushers that might suit too...

My gear:

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 16:22 »
The Samsung 950 soundbar has good reviews. I think it is a good choice, and would have got one too, if I didn't have an AVR based surround system.  I like the idea of the wireless surround/atmos speakers, that can be kept away when not in use. No need to fix permanently on the wall if it is not practical. 

Offline wcseow

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 19:19 »
I have not make a trip to Adelphi, but have been to Best/Harvey Norman. But despite asking for Samsung KS950, they insist on demo-ing the LG.
Hope Denon HEOS Bar could be available here soon. Maybe connection to the rears is more stable with its direct 5GHz wireless link.

XI-FI

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 09:46 »
Have you considered the yamaha yas 207? It's the first to use DTS virtual X. It doesn't make use of sound reflections,instead it give a binaural audio regardless of your home configurations.

https://sg.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/sound_bar/yas-207/index.html

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 10:05 »
Normally when people plug in their sound bar, do they bother to check ac polarity?

::)

Offline santirin

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 16:55 »
HEOS bar out yet? i am waiting to audition it. seems promising

Online YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 18:54 »
Ouch! Now the Creative doesn't look so ex now.  ;D
U referring to ROAR or SWH's MIC $7k pride???
CREATIVE betul betul dunno how to make use of their forte in engineering one...knn...i suspect most of SWH's product are Creative China designed ones...

Online kenshin07

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 15:46 »
If have budget can check out the Yamaha YSP 5600. The only issue with this soundbar is that it is quite big and lack of good bass. But if want solid bass there is a sub out connection to hookup a subwoofer.
AVR: Denon AVC 8500
Power amp: Aragon 8008BB, Proceed 2/3
speaker: Front/Center/Surround/SurrBack:Dynaudio contour s1.4, dynaudio 210C | PSB imagine s surround | PSB Imagine mini | Atmos spk AG diva SE
Sub: starke dual sub36
EQ: Minidsp DDRC-24 dirca live
Player: Oppo 203
Cable: AFA Zeus II PC (SUB), ESP reference PC (pwr amp, AVR, Oppo 203), AFA Zeus II speaker cable, oyaide MTB 6 with AFA Zeus II PC