Author Topic: Nuvola NP-1 4K media player  (Read 462 times)

Offline velocity

• transcendental state of video enlightenment...
Nuvola NP-1 4K media player
« on: July 25, 2013, 14:25 »
Time to get a 4K TV.

waiting for this baby to be out....$299

The Nuvola NP-1 is billed as the world’s first streaming 4K UltraHD (3840 x 2160-pixel) media player, and if it ships as planned in August, it may also end up being one of the first production devices based on Nvidia’s Tegra 4 SoC. The NP-1 is equipped with 2GB of RAM, 16GB flash, 802.11n 2×2 MiMo, and gigabit Ethernet, USB, and HDMI ports, and offers remote control and handheld game console options....
he Tegra 4, which competes with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 and Samsung’s Exynos 5, features four Cortex-A15 cores and a 72-core GeForce GPU (graphics processing unit). NanoTech Entertainment did not announce a clock rate for the Nuvola NP-1, but the Nvidia Shield is rated at 1.9GHz. The device is also one of the first processors to offer native 4K video support, including support for security and digital rights management, with features including HDCP, says NanoTech Entertainment.

The Nuvola NP-1 is equipped with 2GB of DDR3 RAM, 16GB of flash (5.7GB of which is used by Android 4.2), and a microSD slot. Additional I/O includes a gigabit Ethernet port, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

To stream 4K UltraHD video from sources like the NP-1′s own bundled NanoFlix UHD channel, you need a 4K UltraHD TV, which start at $1,000, but are more typically priced at $2,000 to $5,000. You also need a 6Mbps or greater pipe to the Internet, with 10Mbps recommended for lossless 4K video. On the device end, the supplied gigabit Ethernet port is up to the task, as is Nuvola’s bandwidth-optimized 2×2 MiMo version of 802.11n, says NanoTech Entertainment. The Nuvola NP-1 currently uses H.264 compression for 4K video, and will be automatically updated with the latest H.265 (HEVC) codec as it becomes available, says the company.

http://linuxgizmos.com/4k-ultrahd-media-player-runs-android-4-2-on-tegra-4/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 14:28 by velocity »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Nuvola NP-1 4K media player
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 14:30 »
People in AVS are cancelling their orders.

The issue is....what content are they providing?

(Audio)

Offline velocity

• transcendental state of video enlightenment...
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 14:41 »
Early adopter risk but at $299, much cheaper than the Sony player which is only compatible with Sony 4K TVs. The other alternative is to get a HTPC and set at 2160P resolution coupled with a 4K software player. Source material is, no doubt,  a current problem now but I do see some clips floating around. I'll just treat it as a more expensive media player for now and wait for 4K sources to be more prevalent
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 14:44 by velocity »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 15:39 »
Early adopter risk but at $299, much cheaper than the Sony player which is only compatible with Sony 4K TVs. The other alternative is to get a HTPC and set at 2160P resolution coupled with a 4K software player. Source material is, no doubt,  a current problem now but I do see some clips floating around. I'll just treat it as a more expensive media player for now and wait for 4K sources to be more prevalent

The Sony 4K media player also no risk what.  US$699 for at least ten 4K movies stored on hard drive plus more to come from download, not bad.  Plus this is a product from company affiliated with a movie studio, so, content is more or less guaranteed.  Unless you insist on getting a LG 4K...hee hee...  :)

Like I said, for now, you buy 4K display device so that you can get the best picture for all 1080p media......period.  4K video clips available now are not good enough reason to buy any 4K display.....actually in my book, there are none...except for Timescapes which is rubbish.

(Audio)