Author Topic: ONKYO AV Receiver Thread.. sharing of info and tech  (Read 155660 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: ONKYO AV Receiver Thread.. sharing of info and tech
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 14:48 »
Onkyo reliability is always an annoy issue, hdmi board can fried an egg on it.

Agreed to a certain extent...there has been alot of complains about the HDMI outboard been "fried" due to heat-related issue...And yes, Onkyo does run "hotter" compared to it rivals. The last AVR I used was Denon AVR-X4000 and it runs much cooler than my current Onkyo TX-NR929.

So far, *touched wood*, my experiences with the last two Onkyo AVRs had been pleasant to say the least, it runs hot, no doubt about that...so to overcome heat problem, I always place my AVR on top of the rack to ensure maximum cooling effect. And so far so good, I sold off my TX-NR3007 after almost 1.5yrs and sold my TX-NR3008 after almost coming to 2.5yrs.

:P

Online francishuang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 14:56 »
Agreed to a certain extent...there has been alot of complains about the HDMI outboard been "fried" due to heat-related issue...And yes, Onkyo does run "hotter" compared to it rivals. The last AVR I used was Denon AVR-X4000 and it runs much cooler than my current Onkyo TX-NR929.

So far, *touched wood*, my experiences with the last two Onkyo AVRs had been pleasant to say the least, it runs hot, no doubt about that...so to overcome heat problem, I always place my AVR on top of the rack to ensure maximum cooling effect. And so far so good, I sold off my TX-NR3007 after almost 1.5yrs and sold my TX-NR3008 after almost coming to 2.5yrs.

:P

Just fried my 5509 board.  Does not make much sense money wise to replace I think.
Dilema now, get new one or a lower range used to tide me till newer models are release
Shindo is Music

Offline CASH

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
    • My Hi-Fi and H/T Set Up
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 15:01 »
get the 5010 that badbad2000 is selling!!!
hehehe!!!
I LIKE EM, MEATY, THICK AND ROUND!!!!
Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=11189

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 15:02 »
Just fried my 5509 board.  Does not make much sense money wise to replace I think.
Dilema now, get new one or a lower range used to tide me till newer models are release

Yes...its pointless if out of warranty. So far, I have heard some "not-so-pleasant" comments or complains by some users that the repair for defective HDMI board takes as long as 2 months by local service centre!!! Phew! That's LONG! But this is based on hear-say, I can't confirm, whatever it is, any repair that stretches more than 1 month is unacceptable from my point of view.

I now have one with Epson...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 15:11 »

Ask yourself one simple question, do you plan to go for 4K? And do you want the latest HDMI 2.0 specs to be included? If you answered YES to both, then I suggest you get a Denon X4000 to tied you over - I have personally use it and I have to say I am pretty impressed with the sound quality after Audyssey calibration done. You won't be disappointed...HDMI 2.0 has just being ratified and 4K is still at its infancy stage...although FIFA 2014 in Brazil will be shot in 4K, we probably won't be benefiting the advance in 4K broadcasting...I am looking at another 1 full year before 4K get stabilize and with more 4K content pouring in. Denon X4000 is the current flagship model which feature 4K upscaling and pass through...and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 some more - all in one nice package at an extremely affordable price!

To date, NO AVR or pre-pro has an on-board HDMI 2.0...at present, the current range of 4K compatible AVR are rather half-baked, including my Onkyo TX-NR929 if I dare say so myself...so instead of spending so much now...if you can hold on a little longer to ensure all the necessary hardware and software certification got settle down, you may wish to consider the Denon X4000 first.

Offline freddyhappy

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 17:36 »
get the 5010 that badbad2000 is selling!!!
hehehe!!!

No offend to him but his asking is rather high. A new one I recall is around 3k only, some more he has used for a year.

Online francishuang

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 17:47 »
Will only plunge into 4k when commercial content is widely available. Am watching the hdmi 2.0 issue n holding out till now
Am very interested in the new would be codecs, 3d surround. Waiting impatiently for that to reach consumers

Heard gd things abt the marantz 8801 but being an onkyo guy, am afraid tat its sound will not be explosive n impact enough for me. Most prob will take ur advice on the x4000 which sound signiture is in between onkyo n marantz.
Unless theres a real gd priced pre own 8801 to tempt me,  which I highly doubt so.

Side note, I do much prefer onkyo for high energy concert, ie rinihna types. The bass from below the stage is projected really well. Very live feel.how ever for slower more musical concerts, the lows are often over done

Ask yourself one simple question, do you plan to go for 4K? And do you want the latest HDMI 2.0 specs to be included? If you answered YES to both, then I suggest you get a Denon X4000 to tied you over - I have personally use it and I have to say I am pretty impressed with the sound quality after Audyssey calibration done. You won't be disappointed...HDMI 2.0 has just being ratified and 4K is still at its infancy stage...although FIFA 2014 in Brazil will be shot in 4K, we probably woin't be benefiting the advance in 4K broadcasting...I am looking at another 1 full year before 4K get stabilize and with more 4K content pouring in. Denon X4000 is the current flagship model which feature 4K upscaling and pass through...and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 some more - all in one nice package at an extremely affordable price!

To date, NO AVR or pre-pro has an on-board HDMI 2.0...at present, the current range of 4K compatible AVR are rather half-baked, including my Onkyo TX-NR929 if I dare say so myself...so instead of spending so much now...if you can hold on a little longer to ensure all the necessary hardware and software certification got settle down, you may wish to consider the Denon X4000 first.
Shindo is Music

Offline CASH

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 17:53 »
u will definitely miss the onkyo power, if u go the denon or marantz route...
 ;)

Offline durianlover88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 17:54 »
Bro Francis....join me in the orler for the Theta Casablanca 4...come next month! Dirac 96 kHz future upgradeable 192khz when available. 4k HDMI default. New HDMI 2.0 card come out just swap out to the new card. Future proof and fully upgradeable. CPU MIPS over-cater for future channels and sound formats for atmos, etc...firmware upgradeable. DAC cards got to add more if need more channels in future. I am starting with one Xtreme DAC card since I play 4.0 only.

I have AB my previous Onkyo processor side by side with Casablanca 3HD. I was so shocked by the sonic difference that time...eben without the ansuz cables then. The live feel and immersion is overwhelming.
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$388

Offline Began

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 17:55 »
Hi Francishuang,

If not too expensive should repair since 5509 is already the top model. Or get the Storm Processor now for 3D Auro.
I was told in Germany they can repair the HDMI board for around Euro 200 and they are using better components and it will not fail again.
If you are interested please let me know I will check on the contact and you can check with them.   

Began

Online francishuang

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 18:05 »
Hi Francishuang,

If not too expensive should repair since 5509 is already the top model. Or get the Storm Processor now for 3D Auro.
I was told in Germany they can repair the HDMI board for around Euro 200 and they are using better components and it will not fail again.
If you are interested please let me know I will check on the contact and you can check with them.   

Began

Dl88 began: am waiting for storm.. waited for few mths already. Hehe

Auro just announce a avr which faceplate looks very familar to storm design. So I guess its a storm product.

Datasat announced an auro upgrade  at ces14, but if its from clarity, its gona be expensive.

Wait n wait n wait is what I can do

But meanwhile gota get the interim one settled. Cny holz is jus ard the corner!
Shindo is Music

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 18:39 »
Onkyo reliability is always an annoy issue, hdmi board can fried an egg on it. Read a lot of horror story from avs forum and from some Xtreme forumers also. Thus resale value in the past has not been good.

For what I read mostly old stories that belong to old gen Onkyo.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 18:40 »
What if love story movie with many nice music as background? Marantz warm and musical sounding will excel? Lol

Denon not here not there luke warm .. hee hee

Offline CASH

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 18:43 »
yes, the older generation onkyos had the excessive hdmi heat problem...
much has been improved upon these days....

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 18:46 »
No offend to him but his asking is rather high. A new one I recall is around 3k only, some more he has used for a year.

Just a post price. Always welcome bro to offer. :p